Sun Princess Cruise Review

Sun Princess Cruise Review by Brisbane41

• Sail Date: Oct 2017
  • Destination: Australia & New Zealand
  • Cabin Type: Penthouse Suite with Balcony

I took a 3 night "party cruise" on this ship on the 5th October 2017 from Brisbane to Sydney Australia with one stop in Newcastle. I have been on the ship before but not since it was refurbished inside.

The Sun Princess is a unique ship as that it is smaller than the other Princess ships and has some nice public rooms but also outdated areas that cannot be fixed. Since the refurbishment Princess have turned the nightclub from what used to be a dark and dingy place into a bright and roomy sports bar. This was a quiet and good place for an evening drink or before the party crowd came in at the late hours. Also the bars around the Atrium are popular but with limited spaces. If you have anytime dining then you will have more chance of getting a seat at these bars. The bar service is great and the seats are comfortable.

I found the entertainment to be rather mediocre for Australia. The theatre itself does not seem to have the ability to put on the high tech and energy filled production shows that the newer ships can cater to. None the less the entertainment was interesting enough to not ruin the experience, but at the same time I have seen better from Princess on other sailings. In some way it was good because I enjoyed more time at the bar.

Food in Australia is hit and miss. All the Princess favourites are removed from the main dining menu. I absolutely love the baked New York cheesecake for desert in the main dining room and to have it completely removed on Australian based cruises in favour of a pavlova is rather disappointing. It is also sad to see all the regular wines disappear from the menu as well.

To sum up it is still a decent ship and can offer a really good and enjoyable party cruise or short cruise. I would cruise on this ship anytime for a short party cruise but would not do it for a longer holiday.

Brisbane41's Full Rating Summary

Penthouse Suite with Balcony
Cabin S3 D750

I had the Portofino Suite with one other friend. The sofa was a fold out bed so that was used each night by my ex-Navy friend who came along with me while I had the main double bed. The suite offered privacy as we could curtain up the middle each night and each had a door to the balcony and each had private access to the bathroom which had two doors and could be separated. The good thing about the bathroom was that the toilet was in a separate room to the spa bath and shower and where you brush your teeth which was great. The suite was in good condition despite the ships age and although nowhere near as impressive as the suites on the other ship, if I were going on Sun Princess again it is the only type of cabin I would book on this ship.

Newcastle (Australia)

Stayed on board because I grew up and live there. Nothing to see here for me. The ship was more fun.

Brisbane41