3. Anthem of the Seas
I only like to cruise from late fall to late spring as to avoid hurricanes and rough waters, and because I live just 20 minutes from Cape Liberty and can avoid flying to FL at additional cost it's a no brainer. Nothing like the convenience of just walking onto your ship with your luggage and not worrying about connections or flight delays. This was our first time on Anthem of the Seas and the ship is enormous. I generally always request a room far from the elevator banks as to avoid late night noise, but it's not necessary on this ship. Our room was so far from everything, we felt as if we were walking miles a day, and the elevator banks are pretty separate from the room corridors so if there will be a next cruise on the Anthem, I will not request my room be so far from the center of the ship. Things I loved about the ship are that is has so much to do and so many different venues to do them at. The open air deck pools and hot tubs could only really be used for 4 days due to cold weather on the way down and the way back. But the covered pool and whirlpools are great for still being in the sun but out of the wind, and the Solarium pools complex for ages 16 and over is really warm and the smoky glass has protection from the sun without slathering on the sunscreen. No screaming children or splashing in the Solarium. Between basketball, dodge ball, rollerskating, bumper cars, and the gym, fitness and fun can be had all day long. Not by me, but by anyone who's into that :) The NorthStar that has you hanging high above the ship is really neat, but if you're afraid of heights, don't do it. This ship has a lot of families with young children, so there are lots of strollers and crying kids at times. But there is so much for little ones on this ship, a baby pool, splash pool, you can see why it would be a draw for families with very young children. Shows are very professional and the technology in the Two70 lounge is awesome. Saw a virtual reality fireworks show and the Spectra's Cabaret show there and both were spectacular. Two Broadway type shows in the Royal Theater were also very good. Food is plentiful and dinners are very high quality. Breakfast and lunch buffets have lots of choices and are very good. I can't see spending my money on specialty restaurants when I've paid a good bit for a staggering selection of very good free food, but if you want a specialty restaurant, they've got quite a few. There are so many ADA accessible public bathrooms and ADA accessible staterooms on this ship, that it is really an inclusive place for those with disabilities. I saw many Jazzy's and other motorized mobility devices, and staff is always helpful in getting the disabled through lines quickly. Personally, I like a smaller ship better. There were over 4,900 passengers on this cruise, plus all the crew and staff, and it feels like a big city floating on the water. A little impersonal. Elevator banks are sometimes very crowded and waits for the elevator can be long. But the friendliness of the staff and the relative comfort of the cabins I find the same on all Royal cruises. The disembarkation process was very well organized and much better than I expected with how many people were on the ship. Do yourself a favor and after you get your luggage in the terminal, get a porter who will take you right to the head of the customs line for a small tip. It's definitely worth it.

ANTHEM OF THE SEAS: A REALLY BIG SHIP

Anthem of the Seas Cruise Review by derb52362

• Sail Date: November 2017
  • Destination: Bahamas

derb52362’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas price drops

Cabin was well appointed and nicely furnished. I found the mattresses and pillows to not be as comfortable as some previous cruises I've been on. Wish I'd brought my down pillows with me! This was the first cruise I decided to cheap out and get an interior room, and in hindsight, I think having a balcony is worth the cost. Although you get the view from your virtual balcony, it's not the same as hearing the waves and feeling the wind and sun and I'd wished I'd gotten a balcony.

Room safe and refrigerator lock were not working, and I didn't want to take the time out from fun to have the room steward and security come and fix it while I stayed in the room, as that is the only way they will do it.
  Anthem of the Seas Deck Plans

• Dolphin Encounter
    Dolphin encounter was fun, but ultimately expensive as you cannot take photos with your own cameras, and during the dancing, kissing, hugging and high-fiving with your dolphin and trainer, there are staff taking many photos which are all for sale afterward. The ferry boat ride from the port terminal is very pleasant, and the Bahamian staff are all friendly and fun. I mis-read the excursion fine print, I guess, and the lunch and complimentary drink I thought we would all be getting was not included, so we paid even more buying lunch and drinks. Do yourself a favor and since you're already paying for lunch out of pocket, pay a bit extra for the buffet lunch because if you order a hog dog and conch fritters, you will wait in a line for almost an hour, while people who ordered after you get their food before you and it's very, very frustrating. Turned a nice 45 minutes with the dolphins into not such an enjoyable experience. At least the buffet is out and ready to help yourself, even if it is a bit expensive.
    View All 136 Dolphin Encounter Reviews
  • Port Canaveral (Orlando)
    there are so many things to do and so many places you can visit during this port visit. we have family in Orlando, so they are ready to whisk us to Disney and spend the day having fun until they bring us back to the ship. this was a very busy week at Disney, so it seemed rushed, but on this itinerary at any other time of the year, you can usually accomplish a lot.
    View All 2,177 Port Canaveral (Orlando) Cruise Port Reviews