3. Crown Princess
After 5 days in London we boarded the Crown Princess in Southampton. The check in process was quick and efficient - which was the last time that anything involving a line on the Crown Princess was quick and efficient. Our cabin was absolutely wonderful. It was the first time that we had a balcony and we would definitely book a room with one again. The room was quite nice and kept immaculate by our room steward. We did have an issue with some of our shore excursions being booked improperly. I made my way down to the shore excursions desk to find a line that stretched around the entire atrium. It was moving so slowly that the shore excursion desk sent staff out to tell people to go away unless they had issues with the next day's excursions, which were already sold out. I made two more trips back to the shore excursions desk during our trip. Both involved waits of 10-30 minutes. I found the staff to be polite, but not friendly and of limited help with my issues. I also found that the hours did not coincide with my schedule (i.e. they were open while we were in port!?!?). I found the dining to be VERY disappointing. We had the anytime seating option on the ship. Every time we showed up to the dining room, we had a wait of 10-15 minutes to talk to the hostess, who then promptly gave us a pager and told us to go away. 20-30 minutes later, the pager would go off and we could then be seated. We had the same experience at both of the anytime dining restaurants. Once seated, the food was good - not exceptional, but quite good. One evening I tried to make reservations to be told that the earliest reservation was 8:00PM - much too late for our tastes. Often we opted to eat at the buffet for dinner. We found the buffet food to be mediocre at best. For breakfast and lunch at the buffet, seating was impossible! We often had to make two or three rounds of the dining room to find a table available. Mostly, we gave up and sat out by the pool, which would not have been a problem if it was not FALL IN THE BRITISH ISLES! Translation: cold, wet, windy. Disembarking and embarking was a giant cluster. Lines were enormous. It was clearly evident that this ship was much much too large for the ports that it called on and the ports did not have the capabilities of handling 4000+ people flooding their port towns. I found my fellow passengers to be rather rude and uneducated. I often found myself hanging my head in disgrace at some of the uninformed, provincial questions that they asked or their strictly rude mannerisms - I understand why American dollars are welcome and American tourists are made a mockery of. We had our best experiences in port when we were far away from other passengers. Taking a shore excursion on your own is definitely the way to go! I would definitely visit all the cities on this cruise again; however, I would not take this ship again nor would I take a ship of this size again. If I were to cruise a similar itinerary, I would choose a smaller ship.

It wasn't all that....

Crown Princess Cruise Review by jblazzze

jblazzze’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Crown Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BA
The cabin was wonderful and very well maintained.
Aloha Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins