• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

celebrityoctober
First Time Cruiser • Age 50s

Sail Date: Oct 2009
Cabin:

This cruise was our 25th Wedding Anniversary celebration, we spent 3 days pre-cruise in Rome and were amazed at the beauty of the city and at how friendly the people were. While in Rome, I highly recommend a private tour with "Through Eternity", our guide Marley, made our 2 days of touring an amazing and unique experience. I would also recommend the Starhotel Metropole, the location was great, the rooms clean and service outstanding. We had a piece of luggage lost and they went out of their way to ensure that it was found at the airport and delivered to our room for us.

Embarkation - We arrived at the port at 11:45 AM for embarkation and even though there was already a lengthy line, we boarded the ship within 30 minutes of our arrival. We were not able to get into our rooms until after 3:00 PM, but after asking around we got the "okay" to drop carry on's in our room.

Aqua Class Rooms - We had a room at the center of the ship and yes, you could hear the shuffle of chairs from the deck above throughout the day. It really didn't bother us though, when we were tired we slept right through it (who wants to sleep when your on a cruise anyway). Our veranda was shaded, but it also was blocked from the weather and wind and I liked it, alot. The bed was comfortable and we had more pillows than we knew what to do with. The bathroom was great, I loved the shower. I packed alot of stuff and was able to put it all away and store my luggage under the bed. The only thing about the room that was somewhat distracting for me was the little coffee table. We seemed to always be tripping over and around it. But..after a while I just moved it to a corner of the room close to the bed so that we had more space. The interactive TV's were great and to our surprise, my husband's especially, there were options to watch NFL football games (I think Celebrity is reading these boards!).

1596 - Great view and almost always facing port when docked. Did hear shuffling of chairs from the pool deck above during the day, but it was not extremely loud.

Port Reviews

Athens (Piraeus)

This was our second trip to Athens and I am sorry to say I am not planning on returning. Athens had changed alot since our last visit, you can no longer walk, run, or jog through the Olympic Stadium and can only take pictures through a gate. Unfortunately, vandals have ruined it for all (why would anyone take bits of the stadium home as souvenir?). The Acropolis is "under renovation" and was when we were last there, but there seems to be alot more fences and structures blocking the site and making it difficult to take really good pictures. We hired a driver to take us around Athens, which was great and we saw and did alot more than others taking public transportation could see and do in the time we had there. Another downfall was all the graffiti, evidently football fans like to promote their teams on the buildings? The Plaka was great. If you haven't been to Athens before, than you should go and decide for yourself.

Istanbul

Istanbul is a really interesting port, we hired EKOL Travel and I am sorry to say was very dissappointed. Our guide was not the right choice for our group and offended several of us with his comments and gestures. Istanbul can easily be done on your own or with a group. All the sites are within walking distance of each other. The Grand Bazaar was ",wow", what a maze of shops and if you are shopper, heaven on earth, you could get lost in there for days. Great bargains (within reason) can be found there and the experience is something to remember. Wear sunglasses, if the merchants see you looking at their stores they will be right there to bargain with you. If you are looking for a carpet, you are in the right place. Don't be afraid to go to a carpet or leather show, again it is quite an experience and if you are in the market...a great opportunity to get a beautiful turkish carpet that comes with a story to tell.

Mykonos

You can easily get lost in the port village, its an adventure and the food at the small cafe's not something to be missed (per our CC friends). Some of our friends rented transportation and went to Paradise beach and had a great time. Wish we had done this too..maybe next time.

Naples

We hired Amalfi Drive and a guide to take us from the port through the Amalfi Coast (Sorrento, Positini, Amalfi) and Pompeii. It was an amazing day! Great driver and fabulous guide. Purchased some Limoncello (sorry about spelling) in Amalfi and had a very nice lunch in a pizzeria that our guide recommended.

Santorini

Another Wow! Tendering for us was a breeze, we got up early the day before and got our tender tickets and were riding the donkeys up to Fira within 30 minutes. The donkeys are an experience, a smelly one, but a fun one all the same. We rode up with some CC friends and our pictures tell the whole story. Would I do it again, maybe, this was my second time up the hill. We wandered around Fira instead of going to Oia and had a good time. We found a cafe and watched the sunset, which was beautiful. Our friends rented a car to Oia and also had a great time and came back with some fabulous stories.

Kusadasi

We booked another tour with EKOL, this one was better than Istanbul and the guide did a much better job. We visited Mary's House, the Terrace Houses, and the Sirince Village. Some of our CC friends took the ships tour here and had a great time, If I knew then what I do now, I might of booked the ship tour here.

Find a Celebrity Solstice Cruise from $949