3. Magellan
This was a cruise to the Norwegian Fjords with out two sons, which was planned as possibly our last family holiday. it was booked on the basis of value and location. Overall we all really enjoyed our holiday on Magellan, especially the exemplary standard of food and service we received in the restaurant and elsewhere. In particular, I must praise our waiting staff, Roy and Miu, for their attentiveness and their friendly efficient conduct. My one Son, who travelled with us, works in a Michelin listed restaurant and felt that the service they offered would meet the standards expected in his restaurant. Unfortunately, two issues impacted on our enjoyment of the cruise. First, my wife and I were given room 5176. Whenever the boat was under power there was a dreadful noise in this room. Interestingly, when we walked along the corridor this noise completely disappeared a few cabins further forward of us. The level of noise was such that it was almost impossible to sleep. When my wife raised this issue with reception she was told that since the ship was fully booked we would be unable to change cabins. They did give us earplugs, which did enable us to have improved sleep; however, the earplugs gave my wife earache and left me with mild deafness. The level of disturbance that we experienced does mean that we would find it difficult to book with Cruise and Maritime again. Second, on boarding the ship we purchased the All-Inclusive Drinks package for all four of us, including a reduced price package for our older son who does not drink alcohol. Unfortunately, on the first night when our younger son (dob 13 June 1999) attempted to order a drink he was refused. The Maître D’hotel in the restaurant cited that this was because the ship was registered in the Bahamas Bahaman law applied. On the first evening the problem was resolved by my wife signing to give consent for him to drink alcohol. The matter was eventually sorted out by reception on the Sunday evening when my wife showed them the small-print in the advert for the All-Inclusive package, which clearly stated ‘...Offer only available to passengers aged 18+’. Although I appreciate that maritime laws are somewhat complex, the above raises a number of issues. First, it was very disappointing that people in management positions were not fully aware of the terms of the All-Inclusive drinks package. Second, from a simplistic position we had assumed that since the boat was sailing from the UK to Norway, but was actually in a British port when the issue was raised, that the alcohol laws of these countries would apply. Finally, and of major concern to my wife and I as people who have been involved in safeguarding of young people, was the notion of parental consent. Since he was eighteen he no-longer needed to seek our consent for anything that he did. Thus, the consent that my wife gave had no legal basis and the asking of such consent could be construed as an infringement of his rights. Luckily our relationship with our son is very good and asking for consent did not create a problem. However, both of us have been involved with young adults where asking for such consent would erode trust between the parent and child. At a practical level, by the time the issue had been resolved, the continual discussion of this issue whenever he wanted a drink caused my wife and I considerable annoyance and our son embarrassment: two emotions that are not really appropriate on a holiday. The combination of both of the above does mean that Cruise and Maritime will not be particularly high on out list of companies for future cruises.

Excellent Service and Food, But Issues with Room and AI Package

Magellan Cruise Review by Dr Steve 1961

Unfortunately, two issues impacted on our enjoyment of the cruise.

Dr Steve 1961’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cruise & Maritime Voyages Magellan price drops

Room was very comfortable with excellent storage for such a cabin.
However, whenever the boat was under power there was a dreadful noise in this room. Interestingly, when we walked along the corridor this noise completely disappeared a few cabins further forward of us. The level of noise was such that it was almost impossible to sleep. When my wife raised this issue with reception she was told that since the ship was fully booked we would be unable to change cabins. They did give us earplugs, which did enable us to have improved sleep; however, the earplugs gave my wife earache and left me with mild deafness. The level of disturbance that we experienced does mean that we would find it difficult to book with Cruise and Maritime again.