3. Adventure of the Seas
Adventure of the Seas 11/18/17 San Juan, St. Kitts, Martinique, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados, San Juan Great cruise from a disaster area with friends I want to first start by praising Royal and panning them. I want to praise Royal for all the runs they made to bring emergency supplies to the Caribbean and getting stranded people home. I want to pan them for believing that Puerto Rico is anywhere near ready to accept vacationers. Puerto Rico needs emergency support and even though both the federal and island government has been near incompetent with the response does not mean Royal should encourage vacationers to fly to the island that has been declared a disaster area and use valuable resources the people need. Since we had multiple hotel reservations canceled, we were forced to fly from Kansas City to San Juan on the day of the cruise departure and fly home on the day of cruise return. This made our vacation seem very short. Getting on the ship at 3 pm departure day in San Juan feels like you missed a whole day of the cruise. One of our friends traveling from Chicago had flight delays and got on the ship at 7 pm just as the gates were closing. We were in a balcony cabin 8254. The previous 4 cruises we had a Jr. Suite. The balcony felt small but was nice and had the Pullman bed for our daughter. Our cabin steward was great but something happened that we were unaware of and she was replaced on day 5. We were sorry not to be able to thank her before we departed the ship. Royal Miami messed up our dinner reservations. We had scheduled late traditional seating and linked our reservations with 2 other families to have a table together. We had confirmed this with RCLDinning 2 weeks before departure. When we got on the ship one of our friends had been placed in early seating. No one in the dining room or guest services was really willing to make a change until we latterly refused to sit at a table for 6 in the dining room full of empty tables of 8 and 10 (there were 8 of us). Finally the maître de came to his senses and said here take this empty table of 8. Even with the frustration of the first night we had the most wonderful time at dinner every night. Our waiter was Halyna Davyoska and our assistant waiter was Ridhatus Alfini (Ceta). They gave us amazing service. The first night my 13 yo diamond daughter looked for the cheese rolls and there were none. Every night thereafter, Ceta had a plate of warm cheese rolls at her spot on the table. We were on the Liberty in March and on that cruise the MDR food hit a new low. I have to say that on this cruise on Adventure, the MDR food was outstanding and better than we have had in several years. Baked Alaska was really baked, mushroom pastry was really a pastry, and the cherries jubilee was at least warm cherries jubilee, I know you can’t have fire on the ship anymore, sure miss the real cherries jubilee. As amazing as Halyna and Ceta were, it was obvious that they had to really rush to stay up with all their tables’ dinner service. Ceta worked hard to keep our drinks filled. It would have been nice to see a bar waiter sometime. Ceta and Halyna gave us excellent wine service. They changed our glasses with each new bottle of wine. Nicholai our head waiter did provide assistance to Ceta and Halyna but he was also pressed to take care of his section. I can’t say enough about how well we were treated. Royal does need to provide more staff in the MDR in my opinion. The singers and dancers on the ship were great. We really enjoyed the production shows. We were not impressed by the cruise director. My 13 year old daughter never received any teen cruise compass or invitations to any functions. Our first stop was St. Kitts. We have made a friend of Veronica who owns a taxi and we always use her on St. Kitts for taxi service. We chartered Captain Miles of Nevis Yacht Charters for a half day sail out of Reggae Beach Bar. As always, Captain Miles provided us with a great sail and snorkel between St. Kitts and Nevis. Service at Reggae Beach Bar was great, food was just ok. On Antigua with hired taxi drive Nikki Mélange to give us a tour of the island then drop us at a beach for 3 hours ($25/pp). She did an outstanding job. She picked Church Beach and it was great chairs and umbrellas for 6 were $35. On Martinique we took the ferry to a beach. The cost was $7 round trip. At the beach bar we found a wonderful Grenache Rose for only $6 a glass. We had no trouble paying with dollars. We did not get any euros. They do speak French and we did have a little trouble with communication. On St. Lucia we did a two tank dive with Scuba Steve. The boat took us on about a 30 minute ride to the Bay of Pigs. My wife and daughter were able to snorkel and enjoy a beach while my friends and I did our two tank dive on two reefs. The dives were great and Scuba Steve treated us very well. After the morning dives we had a light lunch at Brown Sugar Restaurant. The food was great and the price for an island was very reasonable. On Barbados we went to Rockley Beach Park also called Accra Beach. This is our favorite beach in the Caribbean. Most of the cruisers go to the Boatyard. There are several beach bars and nice facilities and Rockley beach and there are no crowds. Chairs and umbrellas for 9 cost only $30. Once we got on the ship the cruise was wonderful. Since it was so port intensive, we did not use the diamond lounge much or participate in many ship board activities beyond a couple of shows and just hanging at the pool on the last sea day. Having to fly in the day the cruise left and fly out the day we got back to port made the 7 day cruise feel like a 3 day cruise.

Great cruise from a disaster area with friends

Great cruise from a disaster area with friends

LeesSummitCruiser1’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 13 to 15
Get Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas price drops

After being in Jr. Suites the last 4 cruises, returning to a balcony was hard. The cabin was nice the Pullman bed is much better than the fold out couch and gives a lot more room in the cabin. Our attendant was great but invisible. My 13 year old did not like the tube shower, can we say spoiled ;-).
  Adventure of the Seas Deck Plans