3. Celebrity Millennium
We picked this cruise because it left from Hong Kong, a city we always wanted to visit, and the rest of the itinerary were places we've never been. Nothing is perfect, and Celebrity had an occasional misstep but, except as I'll mention later, nothing important. In terms of the things they got right, the most important was our captain, Nikolas Christodoulakis. As we were leaving Hue for Ho Chi Minh City, the weather forecast was for a typhoon. The captain, his primary concern our safety, had the boat anchor in the Bay of Da Nang to ride out the Category 2 storm, but made up the lost day after Bangkok, so we did not lose any port time. Well done! The staff was universally excellent, except for the person manning the Captain's Club area, who vanished the one day I wanted to talk to him. But the service otherwise was always friendly, helpful, and efficient. By the third day or so I no longer looked at the wine list, I just told our sommelier (Benny) what I was having for dinner and he always picked a good wine to compliment the dish. One area Celebrity needs to upgrade is their website. By the time I could find a decent selection of tours listed we had booked everything through external vendors, except for the tour we took of Lantau. Our one big problem was Celebrity's communication about tendering for the one such port we had (Ha Long Bay). Although they said the first tenders were only for those taking Celebrity tours, that is not true: they will tender you in on the first tenders if you have a (non-Celebrity) tour with a time-critical arrival on land. Because we didn't know this, and followed the announcements, we missed our pre-booked tour; we were able to make other arrangements, and Celebrity did an excellent job of compensating us for the loss. One unexpected highlight: the thallasotherapy pool. It almost made me wish there were more sea days! Also very much appreciated was the inclusion of specialty coffees and bottled water with the beverage packages, and I was impressed with the number and variety of single malt scotches on my upgraded package.

Excellent staff, very enjoyable cruise

Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by geekguy1

• Sail Date: October 2017
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony 2B

geekguy1’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Millennium price drops

Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony 2B
Cabin 2B 6038
The cabin was a decent size, with excellent storage capability. The bathroom was typically small, but a large shower with an adjustable water head, which was appreciated. The balcony was an excellent size, but the door could cause trouble, and without a lever on the balcony side, be aware that you could accidentally lock yourself out of the room (as happened to our friend!).

We apparently had the new style of in-room safe, and it was terrible. You could lock it with a wrong number (your entries are not displayed), and could lock it from an open position hours or days later, which did require a trip from the maintenance department for us. In even more minor suggestions for improvement, we twice had problems with our phone, and the message light is all but invisible during daylight hours.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• City Tour
    This was a 7 person private tour and it would be hard to beat the value for all that we saw and did in our 2 days. The various temples were amazing, the floating market worth the trip, and the train market was even more interesting. The guides and drivers were always helpful, providing water, cool towels, and help when needed.
    View All 40 City Tour Reviews
  • Wat Po (Reclining Buddha Temple)
    Just incredible, as were all the temples in Bangkok. A "Must See."
    View All 22 Wat Po (Reclining Buddha Temple) Reviews
  • Halong Bay
    This was possibly the highlight of our cruise. The geography is fascinating and beautiful, serene, and well worth whatever time can be spent appreciating it -- both the wonderfully lit caves and the karst islands.
    View All 40 Halong Bay Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Halong Bay Cruise Port Review
  • City Tour
    The usual Hop On Hop Off bus tour, which is a decent enough way to get an overview of the city. The Night Tour, however, was a total waste of time and money: it was the exact same commentary and route we did earlier, but at night. Take a taxi or walk to see the sights better.
    View All 36 City Tour Reviews
  • Po Lin Monastery
    So much to see, not just the 100 foot tall Buddha. The monastery is interesting in its own right, and the included vegetarian lunch was unexpectedly excellent. One possible advantage of booking with the cruise line is that we had almost no wait for the 26 minute cable car ride down the mountain, an attraction not to be missed.
    View All 7 Po Lin Monastery Reviews
  • Victoria Peak
    Excellent views of the city, but unexpectedly deficient in good restaurants. The hiking trails (easy) were serene with not too many people taking advantage of them, even though the shop area was crowded.
    View All 19 Victoria Peak Reviews
  • City Tour
    We booked a private tour of Singapore through Viator, and can't say enough good about it, our guide (Monica, Chinese name Poh), or our driver (Melvin). In the limited amount of time we had, we got an excellent overview of the city, with each of its different areas.

On day 2 we did the Gardens by the Bay on our own, an easy trip from the port and well worth doing.
    View All 31 City Tour Reviews