3. Freedom of the Seas
Embarkation should have taken about 15 minutes - got there around 11am. We got to use the gold priority line. Unfortunately, the person checking us in was having her first day and it was a mess! Husband and I were in one cabin, son was in another with his cousins, and daughter was with my sister. Kids had to go back and forth getting checked in. No one seemed to know what was going on! Rest of my family, not priority, got fully checked in before we were done! LOL It was fine, but just a minor annoyance. We were on deck 8 and every time we walked out to the stairs/elevators we smelled mildew. Yuck. Room was nice enough - small as expected but perfect for 2 people. Wifi was great - i had no problems at all. The others in our group got kicked off every once in a while. No idea why some and not others. Wifi was critical for a big group! We used WhatsApp and had several texts going - one for everyone, one for my family of 4, etc. So easy and no roaming charges!! Expensive but very helpful. Windjammer was great for breakfast. I had an omelette made to order each morning with fruit and toast. Perfect. Lunch was unappealing. Lots of hot food which seems gross when it is so hot outside. i generally ate salad and bread. Dinner in the MDR was hit or miss. Service was terrific though! Husband and Son ate at Johnny Rockets and said service was ridiculously slow and burger was gross. They could've gotten a gross burger at Windjammer for free! Husband and sister loved the coffee at the coffee shop. Pizza was edible. The cookies (pizza place and windjammer) were amazingly good though! Shore excursions were great. Between all of us, we did a secret river walk, segway adventure, beach break (actually this was bad - beach was crowded and not enough chairs, etc.). Husband, son, nephew and sister did Costa Maya Triple Play - tandem bike ride, cenote swim and stand up paddle boarding. They had a blast!! Really bummed that clear kayak and snorkel was cancelled in Cozumel b/c of weather. No one's fault but very disappointing. Although we made up for it shopping! Debarkation was RIDICULOUS!!!! We had to be out of the room so early to eat breakfast and the SIT FOR TWO HOURS waiting to get off ship. Crappy way to end the cruise. Ultimately, we had fun but I would not go back on Freedom. We loved the Oasis and maybe it was just hard to go from a bigger, newer ship to a smaller, older one. Too many other ships that are awesome to waste time on one that is just so-so.

Nice cruise but ship desperately needs to be redone!

Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by rkb1970

rkb1970’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 10 to 12
Ages 13 to 15
Get Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas price drops

The carpet seems old, beds were rock hard, sheets seemed old, and there are only two outlets right next to each other on the desk, so can't keep phone next to bed if i want to charge it. Cabin steward was great - kept the room clean! Towel animals were cute. We were connected to my sister and daughters room - they had a different steward and he made much cuter towel animals - used sunglasses and TV remote! LOL Interior cabins are fine if you are on a budget. If you can splurge for a window or balcony it would be nice to have extra space and to be able to know when the sun comes up!
  Freedom of the Seas Deck Plans

• Segway Tour
    Segway tour was really fun. The guys running it were great! My daughter (12) loved it! It included a "beach break" but the beach was tiny, way too crowded, and full of overpriced crap with high pressure vendors. Of course, we managed to buy a few things but went back to the ship to go to the pool
    View All 28 Segway Tour Reviews
  • Cozumel
    Very sad that our clear kayak/snorkel excursion was cancelled because of weather. Not anyone's fault but really disappointed. Although they credited our account immediately without me having to do anything so that was very much appreciated.
    View All 6,685 Cozumel Cruise Port Reviews