3. Westerdam
We booked this cruise just 2 weeks prior to sailing because the price was great. We enjoyed the ports, but had been to all of them multiple times. • Ship information o The ship was is in great shape, everything worked and all public areas were kept very clean. There are plenty of places for quiet alone time and small group board games. • Activities o I loved the Americas Test Kitchen as a man who, at 55 is just learning to cook. The demonstrations by professional chefs are fantastic. The Trivia sessions are good, as expected, some folk take it way too seriously. But the cruise director kept a tight rein on it. • Service o Everyone is very helpful and friendly. • Travel to embarkation port o Unless you are the person who needs to be 1st on the ship, wait an hour until after embarkation begins, the wait is so much shorter and the buffet is still open. Unless you have a suite, those folk go straight to the front of the line. • Dining o We had 8 pm dining at a large table every cruise. Every time we have enjoyed our tablemates as they turn into good friends. The main dining room is spacious and well tended. The staff was very receptive to our needs and wants. The food is good to great. The selection is adequate. • Entertainment o The BB King band was excellent. Great energy and great variety of classic R&B. The shows were good with one exception and I feel the need to point this out. A comedian who was marginal at best ended his show with a classic Simon and Garfunkel song that had no business in his show. I can only guess that he loved the sound of his 2 star voice. There were plenty of books available. • Disembarkation o As this was the 1st half a back2back, we just went into Fort Lauderdale to visit relatives. I wish there had some kind of meeting of back to back passengers. They could have given us In Transit information, answered the questions many of us had and we could have visited with folks who were going to spend a month with. Also, other lines will extend a courtesy laundry for ongoing passengers. • Summary o In hind sight, I would do this cruise the same way again.

Great Transatlantic crossing

Westerdam Cruise Review by DGM

• Sail Date: October 2017
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Large Ocean-View Stateroom

• Ship information

• Activities

• Service

o Everyone is very helpful and friendly.

• Travel to embarkation port

• Dining

• Entertainment

• Disembarkation

• Summary

o In hind sight, I would do this cruise the same way again.
DGM’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Westerdam price drops

Large Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin E 1066
Our stateroom was good as expected. Clean, very comfortable. In the evening we could hear sounds from the BB King lounge, which ended about midnight which we were okay with. As always, I hacked the television to attach my own devices, including Laptop, USB drive, and IPod.
There are USB chargers bedside as well as under the makeup mirror, very nicely done. There are 2 each 110v and 220v power outlets under the makeup mirror. My only quibble is that I wish they put one near the bed for using my laptop.
The television has its own very fine selection of TV shows, movies, and information services. There is a speaker near the headboard, but I never did figure out why it was there. The bathroom has a tub and the usual removable spray head. The cabin includes a hair dryer.
There is ample closet space for a typical traveler and more than we use by a lot. Plenty of hangers (of course you can request more). The closets have flexibility to change to a couple of shelves. I took advantage of the shoe shine and it was excellent.
Main Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins