3. Seabourn Odyssey
This was a 10 year wedding anniversary cruise and was a bucket list cruise and the price was right for the amount of days. Roundtrip Miami was a plus rather than having to fly to Barbados or St. Martin. First of all, let me say that I have been LIVING this cruise through YouTube videos and was thrilled beyond anything to be cruising with Seabourn. Check in was too slow. "Bob" needed much more computer training and kept waiting for the Seabourn rep. next to him to help out. Each rep. to either side checked in 3-4 couples and we were still waiting to be checked in. One issue is that 'Bob' put my husbands passport info and credit card info under my name and didn't know how to correct it. Next, walking onto the ship were several hello's, but there was no one there with a tray of champagne welcoming you like the videos. Though I'm not a big drinker, was a little disappointed. Our cabin was large and lovely. My couple of requests from guest services were not fulfilled. Smart Water and one pint of Jeni's Brown Butter Almond ice cream. Also, my husbands Glenfiddich not there. However, there was a bottle of Jim Beam Bourbon with a note card (unfortunately, it was for the person in the next cabin!). Ok, we will live, no big deal. Bathroom nice and roomy. Minor issues - toilet seat should have been wiped better and vanity had a couple hairs on it. Hmmmm. However the biggest issue was our shower. There was a horrible stench coming from the shower. By the fourth night, I gagged and went to dinner with no make-up. Over the first 5 or 6 nights we had a total of 4 plumbers try to remedy the issue. It calmed the stench down, but it never went 100% away. I heard two other cabins had similar issue as well. After all the above, our room stewardess came over with flowers and........a bottle of Glenfiddich for my husband! Our room stewardess was new, her 2nd cruise. I wondered if the new stewardesses had the lower decks, 4-5, while the more experienced had the higher decks. Other passengers we met felt the Odyssey was more of a training vessel, I can see that. Pool waiters gravitated to the 'regulars' and so it took a very long time to be acknowledged to get a drink. In the back of the ship at the Collonade, the waiter introduced a waiter in training. I did receive my Coke, my husband never did get his water! What is very nice is receiving the next nights dinner menu in your cabin each night. The majority of the time it was right and I'll leave it at that. The Herald is the daily paper with all the happenings. I showed up for a facial talk at 2pm in the Spa as stated in the Herald. I was told 'no there is no talk'....long story short - that was a mistake and the girl who gives the talk was on her day off. I did win the $150 grand prize for the spa. I didn't bother looking at the letter until right before using it for a facial. It actually 'expired' on November 10. The cruise didn't start until Nov. 11. Oops, again. The facial was $219 and so I had to pay the difference $69, no problem. Unfortunately it felt like at $69 mini speed facial. After I made myself clear I was not purchasing the products (which they get credit for) she quickly gathered her things and advised for me to meet her at the front desk. Now I've had enough. For the first time ever, I did not leave a tip. This was so different than the facial I had on Crystal in May, so luxurious and relaxing, I had it twice on my 14 night Crystal cruise. The Thomas Keller Grill was indeed a highlight. Lobster Thermidor superb as the Rib Eye. From start to finish, and a Lemoncello, absolutely superb, both service and food. Our Cruise Directors Ashley and Chris were Super Excellent. I adored the comedian Dale Gonyea - how refreshing and creative. The four singers - we enjoyed them so much. They are so talented I hope they achieve their dreams. The Internet guys Franco and Juron were so wonderful, a true GOD send. The food portions are small, but I liked that. It's a cruise, you can always ask for more. How I would sum up this cruise is that the passengers, as wonderful as they were, they know their wines and spirits. Ordering pre-dinner wine, appetizer wine, first, second, third course wines, then entrée wine and whatever in between. I found the passengers enjoying their books and pool time. Only 2-4 couples ever danced at any venue. This was indeed certainly different from our Crystal cruises = those people are so much more livelier and live it up, all ages. So even though there were many oops/issues, in time I might try them again. It's just that between Crystals new cruise ship being built and Virgin's as well, I look forward to both of those. For now my money is better spent on Oceania and Crystal. Our Oceania cruise last December was flawless and actually surpassed Crystal.

Oceania Riviera and Crystal has them beat