Caribbean Princess Cruise Review

First Panama Canal Cruise

Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by attilamom1217

• Sail Date: Oct 2017
  • Destination: the Panama Canal & Central America
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview (obstructed view)

This was my firstl, bugtdifficult to figure out Panama Canal Cruise; 3rd cruise on Princess; 12th cruise overall. I had a wonderful time. I was widowed less than a year ago and chose this cruise because I didn't want to be home for my late husband's birthday and I was part of a group of singles on this cruise.

The ship is beautiful; however, I kept getting lost. Princess does not make it easy to get from Point A to Point B without looking at a map. There is no difference in the carpets on the cabin decks and very few signs state 'starboard' or 'aft'. Not all elevators go to all the decks so it is a constant going to one floor, walking to one end to find the elevator to take you to the correct deck.

The food was very good to excellent in the Main Dining Room. I am a picky eater, but had no problems finding something on the menu to eat. The one time I didn't enjoy my entree (too spicy), I was able to order something else. The buffet had a large variety of foods to choose from. The pizza was okay. I enjoyed the coffee at the International Cafe.

My cabin was an obstructed OceanView. I was lucky that my window was between two lifeboats, but there was a platform for the workers. However, I was able to see the water and the ports from my cabin. Not sure I would book an obstructed cabin again (I personally like to look out the window and am claustrophobic so need to see an outside).

The only port I had been to previously was Princess Cay. Relaxing beach day.

Panama Canal - if you have never been, take the excursion that goes through the locks to the Pacific Ocean. It is a long day, but worth it.

Cartegna, Columbia - took a city tour. Lots of history. It was a hot day and lots of walking but fun and interesting.

Costa Rica - I took an excursion to the Canal and a train ride. Saw sloths, monkeys and various birds.

Grand Cayman - Went to the Turtle Center and Hell. Hell is worth the visit one time so that you can truly say that you've been to Hell and back. Don't need to go back there. The Turtle Center was fun and educational. Got to hold a baby turtle.

I didn't go to the shows. Although smoking is allowed in some areas of the casino, the tables were smoke free. Casino staff were a lot of fun.

attilamom1217's Full Rating Summary

Oceanview (obstructed view)
Cabin OV E209

There was a desk and chair, but no couch (no room for one). Plenty of closet space and shelves.

City Tour

Saw historical sites and had time to shop. Our tour guide was knowledgeable and had a sense of humor.

View All 367 City Tour Reviews

We tendered to shore at Gatun Lake. We boarded a bus which took us to the ferry. We went through the three locks to the Pacific Ocean. Lunch on the ferry was included. Interesting going through the locks. We were actually able to touch the walls of the locks. Worth the money to do this excursion.

View All undefined undefined Reviews