3. Anthem of the Seas
This was cruise 21 on Royal, and the second on the Anthem - but definitely the last ever on the Anthem and the first to make me consider switches allegiances to a different cruise line. We had 8 in our party this cruise, spread across a Grand Suite (my wife and me) and 3 other staterooms. First the positives: - We Will Rock You is a great show. - Other shows and venues kept all of us across different ages/interests entertained throughout the cruise. - Food continues to be solid (though the dining menu has less options than Oasis/Allure) - Guest Services Ms Sterling was empathetic to our challenges below and tried to help. And unfortunately the negatives - Enhanced cleaning due to norovirus on the cruise before (along with the crew going through immigration) led to delayed boarding, delayed access to staterooms (and passengers instead log-jammed in the stairways and elevator lobbies), confused crew members (some said go to staterooms, some said go to muster, some said wait for announcement from captain). - Enhanced cleaning did NOT extend to our Grand Suite, which was really dirty (visible grunge on sinks, toilets, bath), handprints on wall, glass coffee table that had not been wiped down, floor with paper/hair throughout the living room section). If the bed had not been made up and fresh towels in the bathroom, I would have suspected the stateroom had not been cleaned yet. My wife and I got the stateroom attendant to vacuum the floor and couch and we wiped everything down with antiseptic wipes. Since it was the first time this had ever happened, we just wrote it off as related to the staff having to move quickly to make up for ship cleaning and immigration. - Day three my wife sticks her hand in the pocket of the robes we had been wearing for three days and discovers candy. We don't eat candy, so it wasn't ours - which means it was the previous wearers and yet another thing that had not been cleaned. Yuck!!! We both dumped the robes and took immediate showers. Ah, the irony of being told to wash/use antiseptic on my hands every two minutes but being given a dirty stateroom and unwashed robes. - Gilbert in Guest Services either didn't believe my issues or didn't care. He recorded them in a log, but had nothing to offer in terms of resolution. After asking our Suite Concierge to escalate, Ms Sterling in Guest Services spoke with me, understood my concern, and extended her apologies. - Flow Rider times were minimal - 2.5 hours per day for standup, no advanced surf times, lots of time blocked for private sessions. Not good given other ships manage the flow rider as the unique feature/draw that it is to my family - with extended hours, advanced sessions, etc. We are back on Royal in January, and doing a transatlantic later in the year. I can only cross my fingers that our experiences will be dramatically better - I don't look forward to starting over to build status on another cruise line.

Still loyal to Royal, but never again on the Anthem

Anthem of the Seas Cruise Review by SoulMateys

• Sail Date: November 2017
  • Destination: Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Grand Suite - 1 Bedroom

First the positives:

- We Will Rock You is a great show.

And unfortunately the negatives

SoulMateys’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas price drops

Grand Suite - 1 Bedroom
Cabin GS 12646
Smallish suite with excellent bathroom and large balcony. We won't reserve a Grand Suite again - not enough bang for the buck.
Deck 12 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Nassau
    Once you get past the madness right off the boat (constant offers of hair braiding, taxis, scooters, trips to Atlantis) and get down the road a bit, Nassau is a great walkable town. Bay Street is a collection of touristy stores (all with much the same merchandise), clothing and jewelry boutiques. If you want a bit of the US "normal", there is a Hard Rock and several Starbucks available within an easy walk of the ship.
    View All 5,886 Nassau Cruise Port Reviews