MSC Opera Cruise Review

Was expecting more from this holiday

MSC Opera Cruise Review by MWVC46

• Sail Date: Nov 2017
  • Destination: Cuba
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview Stateroom

I had been on a cruise with Norwegian Sky a month before so I was able to compare quite easily and some of the differences astounded me.

First off, alot of the staff in the buffet area were quite rude. I felt like asking them for a bottle of water was the equivalent of accusing them if they recently murdered someone...If someone broke a smile,I would have been dazed. Twice I asked for coffee and both staff members sent me over to the other one because neither could be bothered getting it for me so I left eventually...thirsty. My friends wallet was stolen in the buffet area and later on handed in to reception by a member of staff with all the money gone.......Of course this could also have been a member of public on the cruise but who knows....

Secondly,the 2 excursions that I went on were complete money scams. The first was the 'Go Native in Jamaica' tour where we were to be taken to a botanical gardens and shown how their coffee is made..I didnt even realise I had been in the botanical garden until we were left and back on the bus..There was a few palm trees,some animals and that was it..No talks whatsoever from our tour guide to discuss where we were and I heard him briefly tell one lady in Spanish how the coffee was made but he walked on then,forgetting about the other 30 or so people who didnt hear it! The next excursion was the 'Best of the Cayman Islands'..Now if that was the best then I dread to think what the worst would be..We were shown the local tax office,the local post office,taken into 3 gift shops and finally the turtle center which was a saving grace,this place was lovely. Both of these tours cost over €60 which is really maddening...We had our own tours arranged at our fist port of call in Cuba and this was the best idea we had,brilliant tours for exactly their moneys worth. Ill certainly be doing this if I ever go on another tour.

This is not the ships fault but the average age on the ship was about 70..There was no young entertainment at all and the shows that they did have on left alot to the imagination.

Disembarkation on the last day was made 10 times more complicated than it should have been. On Norwegian,we simply took our own luggage off the ship when we docked,no hassles,end of. MSC made things so complicated and then booked the wrong transfers for us so we then had to worry whether we'd even make our flight home.(We did thankfully).

Overall,lovely ship to look at but everything else was a major downer for me and my 3 friends.

MWVC46's Full Rating Summary

Oceanview Stateroom
Cabin O1 1812

We were upgraded for some unknown reason to a room with a wonderful view outside,big window. Had full view of every port we pulled into. Very comfortable beds.Shower water kept flooding over the floor which was annoying. Otherwise,the room was the best part of the cruise!

City Tour