3. Adventure of the Seas
We chose this cruise for the ports of call. It is a southern Caribbean itinerary going to some islands we had not been to before. We looked forward to going back to St. Maarten, but unfortunately were not able to because of the hurricane damage. Royal Caribbean did a great job of communicating changes in itinerary and waited long enough to make a decision before changing something too soon, but not too long that wondering if you were still going to be going on the cruise and/or to which islands. I have been on one other cruise before and we had some sailing days in between stops. It felt like a nice balance of time in the ports and time to enjoy the ship and all that it had to offer. With this cruise and an itinerary packed with 5 islands in 6 days, it is tough to enjoy all aspects of the ship and spend time on the islands on excursions/shopping/etc. I didn't feel relaxed when the cruise was done because of feeling like we needed to take advantage of all the beautiful islands we visited. We booked a balcony room this time around. Last cruise we did an interior overlooking the promenade on Independence of the Seas. Had we had more cruising days to make use of the balcony, I think it would have been worth the extra money to have that space to sit out and read a book, relax or whatever having the sea in the background. But we hardly spent any time in the room with everything to do on ship and in port. My opinion, but I don't know that anything above an interior room is worth the extra money on a cruise. You need the room for sleeping, showering and that's about it. Ports of Call: San Juan - it felt disorganized from the time we landed. I am not sure what normal is or how much recovery efforts are still impacting operations on the island, but did not feel organized. Everyone seemed to be in panic mode like they were on a fire drill. With nothing really open on the island, it was straight from the airport to the ship. St. Kitts - Monkeys, monkeys and more monkeys. As soon as you port and walk into the main area, there are many people that will offer to put a monkey on your shoulder. Be prepared to pay to take it off your shoulder. As long as you are polite, say no thank you and keep moving, they leave you alone. We did the ATV and beach break excursion. The ATV riding was a lot of fun going up the mountain side. This offers some great picture opportunities of Basseterre. The tour guides are knowledgeable of the island and make riding at slower speeds fun while keeping things safe. The beach area was nice and relaxing and had a few restaurants/bars to get a bit to eat. We weren't there very long but was a nice area. Antigua - This island was the one we were most excited about visiting. We signed up for the Beach Extravaganza excursion. I am not sure the tour group was ready for the large crowd coming their way. We were about 10 minutes early to our meeting time and ended up standing on the pier in direct sun for at least 20 minutes after the meeting time. Then when we walked down to the bus depot area, we waited around there for another 10 minutes until we could get on a bus and head to the beach. Once we got there, the beach area was beautiful. Calm, clear waters and they had an area to snorkel around the rocks. They had some locals selling jewelry and other hand made items; not pushy at all and were friendly. The lunch they had was very good and the rum punch was really strong. Overall, we enjoyed our time on this excursion but the transportation to and from the beach was not very good. Barbados - We did the Jolly Roger cruise and snorkel and had a great time! I highly recommend this excursion. Please note that there is no rope swing even though it is in the excursion description. The pirate ship had a bit of damage from the swing and have taken it off to prevent it from happening again. They gave two options for lunch, buffet or a burger. The burger was sufficient and also much cheaper than the buffet. They had a wide variety of drinks (included). We stopped at one snorkel spot and ended up being with three other boats from resorts. The spot was great, but very crowded in the water. Imagine the scene at the end of the Titanic movie crowded in the water. At the second stop, it was time to just swim around and walk the plank which was also a lot of fun. Once we get back, my wife and I walked into Bridgetown (maybe a little over a mile walk) and did some shopping. It was a nice walk into town along the coast. St. Lucia - Marigot Bay excursion. I would not recommend this. The description and pictures on Royal Caribbean website are a bit misleading. It is a small area and only had about 2 shops, 2 restaurants and a beach about 50 yards long. It is a beautiful area, but on the beach side, you get bombarded by the locals to buy their food, drink and whatever else they were selling. My wife and I wanted to go on this as a relaxing excursion in a nice "French town" but was not that at all. We said "no thank you" to the vendors at least once every 5 minutes and couldn't wait to leave. St. Thomas - we were the first ship back to the island after the hurricanes and the people were so excited to have us back. I had never been to the island before but you could tell exactly where the damage was. Magen's Bay took a beating but they were open and welcomed us back with limited food and drink options, steel drum band and of course the iconic beach. The palm trees in this area got hit very hard and the storm surge went back up into the hill side. I would love to go back and see more of the island in a few months after they have had time to recover some more. Having cruise ships returning to the island will help their economy and rebuild.

Busy itinerary but a great time

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by holtsy21

Ports of Call:

holtsy21’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas price drops

It's a room. Nothing too exciting about it other than the balcony that we did not use much. Bathrooms are typical cruise ships bathrooms that are small including the showers.
  Adventure of the Seas Deck Plans

• Antigua
    The beach was awesome but the transportation organization to and from was lacking. They prepared a nice lunch for us of Caribbean style pork and chicken bbq. Small snorkeling area off to the right along the side of the hill and in the rocks area.
    View All 12,410 Antigua Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Antigua Cruise Port Review
  • Pirate Fun Cruise
    Awesome trip! Highly recommend this excursion. Depending on the group of people that book this, it can be a fun family adventure or turn into a booze cruise. We had a nice mix of both and the families tended to stay on the bottom deck and the party people on the top deck. The snorkle spot is great but could get crowded if the resorts have their boats in the water too.
    View All 34 Pirate Fun Cruise Reviews
  • ATV Adventure
    Great Time - wish we had more time on the ATV but it's ATV and beach so split it half and half. Awesome views of Bassettere when on the side of the mountain.
    View All 32 ATV Adventure Reviews
  • St. Lucia
    The description felt misleading to use based on what we experienced. We thought we were going to a French style town that we could explore. Their "town" was two restaurants, two shops that were open and a small beach area filled with the servers constantly bugging you to buy their coco loco drink. It was not relaxing on the beach as we were constantly saying, no thank you to all the requests and they would stand around and hover. Do something else on this besides this one.
    View All 12,410 St. Lucia Cruise Port Reviews