3. Norwegian Sun
This was our first cruise and I chose this cruise because the Panama Canal was on my bucket list. I had also wanted to visit Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Guatemala to get a sense of whether to come back and spend more time on a vacation. The Norwegian Sun ship was ok but is getting real close to needing a refurb. The bed was comfortable and the cabin (mid-ship with balcony) was functional but you do need to keep things picked up and put away. The electric outlets are minimal in number which was a small issue as I have a CPAP which I have to sleep with in the evenings. Then you can't charge phone or tablet or laptop overnight. You just have to plan. I felt the food selection and quality was very good. We had a specialty dining package where we could go to the French, Brazilian, Steak etc for a more quite upscale evening. Personally I would not do that again as the food in the two general dining rooms and the buffets where as good.Given a choice of a free inclusion between the dining or drink package I would go for the drink package as alcoholic beverages run about 7 to 10 dollars and soda more than a couple bucks. Our other inclusion was free wifi which was slow depending on time of day. There are a lot of activities on the ship to try and keep you entertained during the day and evenings. We went to the musical shows and they were good to very good. The hypnotist was actually quite boring and maybe it is the result of the people who were her subjects and most seemed like they were faking being hypnotized. There were presenters who discussed the countries which were going to visit and provide some interesting background. There were also dance classes, bingo, origami, towel folding, educational lectures (acupuncture etc). The TV channels included a couple with movies, news, sports, cruise information, etc. There is a casino which we just walked through We really didn't get to use the balcony while at sea due to the weather (rain and wind), but going through the canal was a different story and we did use it. Since we were cruising at the tail end of the hurricane season the weather was not a surprise and we were fortunate that the weather cooperated going through the canal. Because this is one of the smaller cruise ships the swells in the sea over a couple meters got the ship rocking a bit and made the wife sea sick. She used sea bands and dramamine. Dramamine worked best for her. If you are prone to motion sickness then you should be prepared regardless of the cruise ship. Other more experienced passengers said the larger ships don't get moved around by the waves and wind. The individual taking care of our cabin and the crew in general were extremely competent, friendly, and efficient. I also thought fellow passengers were friendly and courteous and we had some nice discussions when we shared dining tables etc. They did put a couple of NFL games on the TV but not the World Series. Lots of soccer if that is your sport as well as european basketball. The shore excursions were ok but would advise you read those separate reviews when making your choices. All things considered I am not sorry that we were on this ship and cruising when we did.

Very good food and crew

Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by dbenngolfin

dbenngolfin’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Sun price drops

Mid-Ship Balcony
Cabin BB 8232
Comfortable but small when you can't take advantage of the balcony due to weather.
Viking Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins