3. Carnival Conquest
My husband and I took an eight day cruise on the Conquest November 11th to 19th. Some of the reviews seemed pretty negative, but we’re not really picky so they didn’t really bother me. I can't really speak for embarkation. Our flight was delayed 3 and a half hours and we almost missed the cruise altogether. There was nobody else checking in when we got there. For debarkation, we took our own suitcases off the ship and were off in less than 15 minutes. We left our room at 7:10 and were in line at the airport check-in by 8:05. My first impression of the ship was underwhelming. The captain came on the PA system, made an announcement and included a comment about the beautiful Carnival Conquest. I didn’t really believe him at the time. However, after spending some time on the ship, I really grew to love it. We loved the paintings, the atrium, the woodwork, everything. The best part about the ship – the crew. What a wonderful bunch of people. From Chloe, the cruise director (who really is extraordinary), to Aretha, Adele and many others. We enjoyed the string trio from Ukraine that played in the lobby and Grant who played by the casino bar. We loved the Alchemist bar, especially the Cucumber Sunrises, made expertly by Anton, Vera and Zellana (sp.?). Our dining crew was fantastic and so much fun. Veera (“V”), Aye and Andrea took very good care of us. The food was wonderful (especially my tuna appetizer, the filet mignon/short rib duo and the prime rib). The sugar free desserts were actually really good. I wish I would have tried them sooner. Despite the controversy over tablecloths vs no tablecloths, we really didn’t notice whether we had them or not. The Blue Iguana food is fantastic. There is always a big lineup for the burritos, but not for the tacos, which we thought were better. My husband had lunch there every day, except for the two days we had Guy’s Burgers, which were also very good, albeit greasy. We dress up for dinner pretty much every night, but that is not the case with all passengers. We saw ripped jeans on formal night, as well as a “gentleman” wearing a sleeveless orange and white checked shirt with a black tie. To each his own. The pool is small and somewhat crowded, especially on sea days. We always managed to find a chair not that far from it though. There were often games going on around the pool area (mixology competition, musical chairs, the infamous hairy chest competition), and music was almost always playing, usually songs with an island beat. There were so many activities going on, we couldn’t possibly do them all. We played many games of trivia. This is where I have a small concern. A large group would come in and put their heads together to win all the time. The same group went from contest to contest, winning every one, so nobody else had a chance. We went to all the shows and most of the stand-up comedy acts. Some of them conflicted so we couldn’t do both. The shows were all pretty good and we enjoyed most of the comedy acts. One small complaint is about the movies. We had late dining and they would only show one movie most nights, which was when we were eating dinner, so we weren’t able to see them. There were some other things that we missed as well due to late dining (like the Hasbro Game Show nights). Our cabin was on the second floor and we found that very convenient, as the lobby is on the third and so was our dining room. Most of the action outside of the Lido deck happens on deck 5, so it was only a few flights of stairs or a short elevator ride up. And, as others have mentioned, there was a sewage smell on our floor. We only noticed it when we were in the hallway, not in our room. There was an overabundance of photographers on this ship. They are set up every night, not just elegant night. So, they are always trying to get you to stop and take pictures. The pictures are now digital so you don’t have to look at the walls of photographs any longer. And, if you have the Carnival Hub on your phone, you can see the pictures there as well. All in all, it was an absolutely fabulous cruise and I wouldn’t hesitate to book this ship again, especially if Chloe Loddo is the cruise director. I didn’t realize how much difference a great cruise director can make.

Really love this ship!

Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by Dave&Kerr

Dave&Kerr’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Conquest price drops

Interior
Cabin 4A 2244
A nice cabin, somewhat forward on the ship. Felt a fair bit of motion some days, but I am super sensitive.
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins