3. Crown Princess
Crown Princess November 2017 We booked this cruise as a 5 night get away before the holidays. We are seasoned cruisers and this was our 52nd cruise over all and 18th with Princess. I am sorry to say that it probably was our last cruise. We are a retired couple from Florida me 72 and my husband 82. We began cruising in 1987 and have loved it. We started on Commodore then to NCL, RCCL, Dolphin, Carnival(once never again), Costa, MSC, HAL, Celebrity, and Princess. We are Elite on both Celebrity and Princess and have cruised with mostly those lines for the past 10 years. We have always loved the Grand Class ships of Princess. The layout of the ships is very livable for us. Over the years my husband's mobility has decreased and these ships are very manageable for him. This was our second time on the Crown – last time was in November of 2009. Because of my husband's mobility issues, we do not get off the ship in ports anymore. They are just too difficult for him to manage and we have been to every port in the Caribbean many times over the years. But this puts a different slant on our cruising experience. Let me take you through the cruise. We embarked in terminal 21 at Port Everglades. This is the older part of the port. Getting checked in was easy and quick. But the line to get on the ship seemed interminable. A suggestion to Princess – have a NO PICTURE line for those of us who do not want or need another embarkation photo. Once on board, we went to our stateroom which was ready for us. These days we book an inside or outside on Plaza Deck (5). We were in P314 – an outside cabin port side. It was a typical cabin and in very good shape. The ship had had a Noro outbreak two cruises prior, so I took my noro killer wipes and wiped the cabin down. Our stateroom attendent, Wilson, was very good and saw to our needs. He exchanged our Elite liquor allotment to what we wanted and saw to it that we had robes in the cabin. He kept us stocked with ice – we really have no other needs from a cabin steward. The cabin is conveniently located behind the Art Gallery and was very quiet. Time for lunch!!! We went up one deck to the DaVinci dining room for lunch. In the past we had no trouble having a nice table for 2 for lunch to begin our cruise. This time they insisted that they didn't have tables for 2 and we would have to share – not our first choice – but it worked out well enough. We do not eat in the buffet at all anymore – and especially want to avoid it for the embarkation lunch – way too much confusion for us! We settled down in the International Cafe and I went back to the cabin to unpack and get our lifejackets for the Safety Drill. Afterwards we went to Crooners during the sail-away. Enjoyed a Pina Colada (prices have gone up since last year – it was $9.50). Dinner for us was in the Botticelli dining room around 7:30pm – we had to wait a short time for a table for two and enjoyed dinner there. We had dinner every night there at various times and always had to wait – a minimum of 5 minutes and a maximum of 30 minutes. They seated us a number of times at a larger table but set it for 2. I think that they underestimate the number of passengers who want to have dinner alone. We are fine with sharing for breakfast and lunch – but enjoy dinner with each other. The food was good – always something to enjoy – the desserts were especially good. Because of the Noro outbreak, butter was pre-packaged until the last night. The DaVinci dining room is open for breakfast every day and for lunch on sea days but not port days – we had lunch those days (2) once at the Grill at the pool and once in the International Cafe. We had breakfast in the International Cafe twice – the last being debarkation day. They have a delicious yogurt parfait and, of course, wonderful pastry. The menu is not as good as it once was – on a 5 day no lobster – no rack of lamb – there was prime rib – pretty good – but the filet was a joke – we certainly didn't go hungry and most of what we had to eat was good to very good – but it just isn't what it once was. I always get a coffee card – think it is a bargain for those of us who are coffee-holics – we particularly enjoy the specialty coffees – those are a real treat. Gelato is no longer included on the coffee card. The cost was $31.00. Our ports were Cozumel and Costa Maya – we enjoyed the ship while everyone got off – the piers at both ports are too hard for my husband to navigate and we spent time in the Piazza at the International Cafe and on the deck. There were silly games and musical entertainment in the Piazza. There was one formal night – I doubt that even 50% of the ship “dressed”. The rules for dressing in the dining room were totally ignored – we don't do formal anymore but we certainly do Smart Casual every night. There were many that didn't even do that. Jeans, ripped shirts and jeans, shorts, dirty t shirts were in abundance. There were two Captains Circle parties – we went to the later one and I doubt that I have ever seen so many Elite and Platinum members at one time. I actually won a bottle of Korbel Champagne – brought it home. We had great weather – didn't use the spa or gym but did use the forward pool by the Sanctuary. Brought my water aerobics workout on my phone and had bluetooth earphones so went up each morning and did that there. It was particularly a challenge when the ship was moving but most enjoyable. The pool is 4'7” deep and worked well for me. I had read that the ship looked worn and tired – I would have to disagree with that – there, of course, were spots that could have used a freshening, but all in all the ship was extremely clean and looked good to us. I did use the free wi-fi that we get – the speed has improved over the years. Princess has their own wi-fi once you embark. Just put your phone or tablet into “airplane” mode and then log on the the ship wi-fi. You can keep in touch with others that you are traveling with and stay current on what is happening around the ship. Personally we like to disengage as much as possible so didn't really use this much. Great for families or couples traveling together though. All in all it was a good cruise – but we were ready to be home. In the future our travels will be more land based. We live in a beautiful part of Florida in a boating community and are very close to the beach. The changes that we have seen in 30 years of cruising are many and some not to our liking. It is still a great value for money. The larger and larger ships are not something that makes sense to us and the islands, over the years, have become somewhat homogenized. We were able to see them all in an earlier time when they each had their own identity. Please don't read our assessment as a “downer” - we have LOVED cruising and thought we would never stop. However, one cannot always predict the future. If there is anything I did not address, or if you have questions, please do not hesitate to email me at melkaz1758@gmail.com.

5 Night Getaway

Crown Princess Cruise Review by mkazmer

Crown Princess November 2017

mkazmer’s Full Rating Summary
Get Crown Princess price drops

Oceanview
Cabin OB P314
Cabin was an outside with a window on Plaza Deck. Very convenient to all activities on the ship and the front and mid-ship elevators. Typical princess configuration. Plenty of storage for up to a 14 day cruise in our opinion.
Emerald Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins