3. MSC Divina
If you value your money and your time please listen, DO NOT DO IT! MSC should not be allowed to market to the American market. What a waste of their money. Let me start by saying I started cruising in 1974 and have been on at least 40 cruises. I have never written a critique before, but some things shouldn't go unspoken. First the good: The best embarkation and debarkation ever, which is fitting since you can't wait to get on the ship, and you're dying to get off. Also the ship is really beautiful. Lastly, they have the best smoked salmon of any cruise ship I have been on, but you can get it only at dining room breakfast. they told me they can't put it on breakfast buffet because too many people would want it! It goes downhill from here. Cabin: 10148 a balcony that we were upgraded to. I cant even begin to wonder what the other cabins are like, as bathroom is so small you needed to be a contortionist to take a shower, and get the soap out of dispenser (think Heinz ketchup in slow motion) room was never really clean, as everytime I took something out of drawer, I thought there was glitter on my clothes, it was dust as I later learned from other passengers. Dining: Where to even begin. Food is COLD. in dining room or buffet it doesn't matter. no diversity just constantly the same thing. the cold cuts were good, but I didn't take a cruise to have ham and cheese everyday. I have been on ships where food wasn't good before, but soups were always good. if you closed your eyes you could never tell if it was mushroom soup, pea soup or just broth. they all tasted like bathwater. no variety, and even the pasta stunk. nothing ever changed at the buffet, same dishes every day. while the pizza was thin crust and not the bobaly they serve on most ships (except Princess, best ever on ship) it fell apart and was not very good. the first night at dinner we were told to order dessert with our main courses. we were not told that if we didn't order coffee or tea at beginning of meal to go with dessert, we couldn't have any. Oh, was that just our horrible waiter. Who does that? we changed tables and times in mid cruise to table 755 and JHON and JUAN were really very good, but I'm afraid they were the exception, not the rule. I am handicapped and bring my scooter with me, at buffet I asked a waiter for an iced tea and was told where I could find it. that was par for course and was the same for everyone I spoke to, especially americans. Entertainment: Maybe I'm strange, but if you're not an opera lover, stay out of the shows. every night some form of opera. not my style. at every show they have the dancers dressed like a cross between Marie Antoinette and and a crochet toilet paper holder, for no explainable reason other than maybe they cost a lot and they needed to get some use from the costumes. there was a Michael Jackson show, but it was canned music with a dancer who was lip synching. hardly worth your time. the best thing they did have was the ABBA night where 2500 people crammed into the vestibule and staircases and really had a good time. it was great. that should have been in the theatre. instead they had a show one night where at least 15 showed up and wasted the space. I know MSC brags about the entertainment, well more is not always better. Sea days are always wonderful relaxing days. calypso music, fruity drinks perhaps some pool games and great relaxation NOT! from 9AM to 6PM there is nonstop chaos at the pool. the music is at a constant deafening level, that doesn't stop no matter what the activity, Helen Keller would have complained. it is never ending to the point that whoever is in charge of the activity at 9AM just hands over the mic to the 10AM person and it goes on and on. if you have earphones on and try to listen to whatever, you cannot possibly hear. the children are doing their camp things out at the pool, exercises, dance lessons, everything imaginable is going on constantly. no relaxation ever at the pool. My favorite being a 2 hour Octoberfest, with no lie, 2 straight hours of canned yodeling. kill me now! Karaoke is done outside by the pool at night, so people can catch colds, as the sea winds blow and the rain falls. Let me share with you 2 sights we caught at the pool. A European man (he was wearing a speedo) about 45 yrs. or so had his 2 daughters at the pool shower on a sea day. they must have had sand from the beach. the girls were about 9 and 11 yrs. of age. he proceeded to take their bathing suits off them and in the glass shower soap them down in ways that would have gotten him arrested in the states. this went on for about 5 minutes, and I don't mean to be vulgar, but here we call it molestation. the next sea day another gent, also in a speedo, decided to change bathing suits and did it by the pool with a towel around him, unfortunately for most of us, the towel fell. Well the ladies in our row got a little eyeful. Let me also add seriously, the pool has only ladders. as on many other ships. however, the steps are very narrow and the ladder is flush up against the side of the pool, so you are climbing straight up, as opposed to an incline as most ships have. I had a very hard time, and could not get out. I actually fell back and was badly bruised. I am disabled to a degree, but have no troubles on other ladders. when speaking to other passengers, I found I was not the only one, in fact a woman I spoke to told me her husband would always be sitting in front of pool, and he was helping a lot of people out of the pool and just call to him. I went in the hot tub from then on. I mention this because I mentioned this to guest relations, and got a call the next day telling me that someone would like to explain to me how the ladder met international standards. SERVICE: WHAT SERVICE? when we got on the ship on Saturday, we found that our cabin steward was given the day off, so we couldn't get towels because they had not been put in our rooms. the "towel nazi" we called him by the pool would not let us have towel under any circumstances. when we finally did see our cabin steward at 6:30 we asked him for soap as there was none in dispenser, and he told us to wait until tomorrow. we then made the mistake of asking for toilet paper and was told no. What a way to start the trip. We then called guest services, and 14 days of fun and games ensued with the cabin person. My friend cut her foot on something left at the pool deck, we asked for some bandages from the pool boy and was told we could go down to deck 5 and get some. they took us to the hospital to check it out, bandaged it, and charged $180. my friend insisted they take the charge off, as she stepped on something they didn't clean up, and after going back and forth, they told us the captain had decided to negate the charges. my friend told them she decided not to sue. she had to go back the next evening because it began to bleed again. it was 8:10PM and was told regular hours were 4-8PM but they would help her, but please in the future bleed during office hours. the staff know 2 things "No and Unfortunately, we can't". they are not accommodating in the least,. I brought my own scooter, but met a number of people who rented them from the people the cruiseline uses for this service. they were rented thru the recommended company MSC uses, and yet were not informed by MSC that an adapter was needed to charge machines. this also went for people who medical equipment as well. they were then told they could buy an adapter for $58. when the supply got low, the price went up to almost $80. PORTS & SHORE EXCURSIONS: Look the hurricane did a number on the eastern Caribbean. St. Thomas was substituted for San Juan, but St. Thomas is barely open. Barbados would have been a much better choice, as most other cruiselines have changed to that port. Antigua was beautiful as always. Cozumel is ok and Grand Cayman was much more crowded than it used to be. 7 mile beach was not beautiful like it used to be. Nassau is fine, the beaches are always nice there. My friend did Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios and Snorkel and Beach day in Cozumel thru cruiseline and said it was fine. I had booked the beachday in Cozumel, but when I was hurt at pool, I went to cancel the tour and was told I couldn't get my money back, that the tour desk was not part of MSC. this was 2 days in advance. after arguing they finally reimbursed my money. but this was just the way the service was all cruise. if I needed to get down the gangway to leave ship, I had to use the steepest gangway, rather than the one that was almost flat. it's just the way it was. LAST THOUGHT: MSC caters to the European market, as well they should. maybe we Americans expect too much, or maybe the Europeans expect too little, but it doesn't work. the lifeboat drill took over an hour because they had to do it in 7 different languages, no lie. my friend commented that there was no comic on the ship. Well imagine " a guy goes into a bar-----"" and then he has to stop to tell it in 7 other languages. the screaming and yelling in every conceivable language reminded me of a 1960's Italian movie where Sophia Loren is doing her laundry out the window and is screaming to Anthony Quinn, he wasn't Italian but he was always in those movies. Or perhaps if you remember the old "Anthony it's Prince Spaghetti Day.Just the constant screaming. this is the longest thing I've ever wrote, but if it save anyone the price of wasting their time and money it was worth it.

Spirit Air of The Cruise Industry is an Insult to Spirit Airlines