3. Viking Sea
We are third time cruisers and Viking fits our expectations to a T. Viking doesn't advertise itself as "luxury" but the attentiveness of the staff and physical appointments of the ship were well above our previous cruising experiences and above our expectations. No belly flop contests, no "drink of the day" twinkling plastic cups, no casino, no children. The clientele was looking for good food and cultural experiences among like-minded people. Also, I would not necessarily describe this vacation as "relaxing." It is a sight-seeing cruise as there is a different port every day with plans and schedules to be met. But back on board, I felt catered to and was quite happy to let someone else sort out the details of transportation and island highlights. Travel Viking includes air fare arrangements for a very small additional fee. However, this means that much of the flight plan is out of your control. They look for the cheapest flights and sometimes they come with odd routes and long layovers. We were caught in the chaos following Hurricane Maria and had changes to our flights which were not to our liking but considering the extreme demand for seats from the people of the Caribbean for transportation, we were okay with what transpired. If you want more control, I suggest you spend the extra money and make your own arrangements. However, self-arranged travel would be subject to change fees or cancellation fees that were not imposed on us. Truth be told, the airlines are in control and can cancel or change any arrangements that you or Viking would make. Hotel Arrangements We planned to go a day early so that we could take advantage of our early cabin availability but Maria caused many of the hotels to be without power. Our hotel (which was also the hotel for the 2 day Pre Embarkation upgrade) was taken over by FEMA and all pre-embarkation tours were cancelled. Which meant many airline plans were changed as well. And not without angst and aggravation! But all of that was beyond the control of Viking. Even though Viking means well, it is in your best interest to stay on top of these quirks of nature and airline whims and confirm the hotel and flight arrangements directly with the hotel or airline. Stateroom We selected this cabin level (Penthouse Junior Suite) due to the space, living room seating and bathroom features. We do not like doing a dance to get around each other to get to the other side of the room and were willing to pay extra for the added square footage. We were not disappointed. Everything was very comfortable and there was plenty of storage and suitcases stored easily under the bed. There was no outside noise from above or below and only occasionally heard stirrings from adjoining cabins. The cabins are designed from the point of view of the Scandinavian countries and were appointed with fluffy comforters, heated bathroom floors and a heated towel rack. All of that was extraneous in the Caribbean and our cabin steward helped by removing the comforter and replacing it with a blanket (two cashmere throws, actually.) The bathroom floors caused the room to get too warm and we asked that it and the towel bar be turned off. They did turn off the floor but not the towel bar, which is surprisingly hot. I would suggest that Viking save power by turning off these two features for every cabin on the Caribbean cruises. The Penthouse Junior Suite affords you free laundry services which was quite helpful and nicely done. All of the other cabin features (minibar fridge, lighted makeup mirror, Viking TV information, HVAC, lighting) were as advertised and excellent. Ship Info The ship is beautiful, sparkling and uncluttered. The virtual tour of the ship on the Viking website represents the spaces accurately. Because people were concerned about the impact of Maria, it appeared that many passengers decided to rebook so that meant movement on the ship was easy and uncrowded. There was no wait for elevators, buffet or drinks. The included WiFi worked very well nearly all of the time. There are also computers on board that you can use and even a printer for your boarding passes. We greatly enjoyed the Explorer Lounge (both levels and outdoor spaces) as it was close to our cabin and was at the front of the ship. Dining We thought all of the dining venues were excellent. We ate most of our meals in the World Café for convenience and found a tremendous variety and beautiful presentation. Entrees were well cooked and flavorful. There was a different carved meat at lunch and dinner but sometimes they were a little dry. The desserts were tiny which allowed for a taste of everything! The gelato was excellent. The availability changed each meal so be sure to check for the variety offered; I am a vanilla person but I loved the Rum Raisin. For breakfast there was a great variety and it was warm and replenished frequently. But the toaster leaves something to be desired. It burns the edges without really warming the bread. The butter was too hard and I never could time the toast right with my made-to-order eggs. But I did like ordering a fried or poached egg some mornings. The food at the World Café was definitely a cut above most ship buffets and drink service was provided by the wait staff. We greatly enjoyed The Chef’s Table. The wine steward took time to explain the wine pairings and ensured that our glasses were replenished. It does require a slightly more adventurous approach to food. It is a fixed menu although the chef is willing to substitute for a course that you just do not care for (lamb, for example.) I tried things that I thought I never would and enjoyed 90% of what I ate IMMENSELY. Still, I was glad I had tried the other 10% of courses and I was told anything could be replaced with a comparable course if I had found something objectionable, which nothing was. We ate there 3 times. We ate at Manfredi’s only once. The portions were large and by the time our entrees arrived we were full, ate only part of that and we also declined dessert. The poor waiter was distraught as he thought we did not like our food. Bigger eaters (and meat and potatoes eaters) will like this restaurant better than The Chef’s Table. We did learn later that we could have specified smaller portions. I do wish we had gone to The Restaurant more. We did not get there until the end of the cruise and I thought it was excellent. Our service was not slow at all, contrary to other’s experiences, but we ate early. Room service for breakfast was prompt. We thought the bar service was fine with an acceptable included beer and red wine. Rose is also appears to be an included wine as well, although you have to ask for it. There are other (extra cost) beer and wine choices and the beer selection was decent. I had a very good margarita and whisky sour. Activities Excursions are the biggest activity. On board, there are jigsaw puzzles, game boards, books and maps for your perusal. On the 2nd level of the atrium there are a couple of large electronic game tables for solitaire, Mah Jong, backgammon and other games. Get a staff member to show you how to operate them; the touch screen can be tricky. There is a spa/salon and two pools, which we did not use. I understand that the pools are very deep and that would explain why we never saw anyone in them. My husband (a gym rat) was impressed with the fitness center with the variety of equipment and free weights and it was never crowded. There were also yoga/fitness classes for an extra fee but we did not participate. There is an occasional trivia contest in the Explorer Lounge but we always seemed to miss it. Too bad, because my husband is the proud owner of numerous key chains from our last cruise. We used the Promenade deck for exercise. We never saw any runners and we were the only serious walkers we saw there. Some ships have deck chairs on the promenade deck but the Sea deck is narrower than other ships and they were not available. There are plenty of lounge chairs on the pool deck. Children’s Club No children are on this cruise line. Service Due to the smaller number of passengers we were almost one to one with the crew. In the public spaces there was always someone ready to get you a drink and the World Café was well staffed. Our cabin steward bent over backwards to make our room comfortable for us (see cabin review) and our mini fridge was kept filled (but we did not have many requirements for that.) When we were leaving for excursions we were always given a bottle of water and when we came back we were given a chilled washcloth. Nice. Every crew member we encountered made eye contact and asked how we were doing and were helpful beyond measure. In one port the crew was in the port building welcoming us back with song and high fives! Fun! The next to the last night was the Captain’s Farewell which was an evening to be remembered. Entertainment Compared to other cruise lines the entertainment might seem scaled back, but the talent is excellent. The cruise director was personable and talented as well. There was usually a live show each evening in the theater; if not, a movie. One night there was a poolside tribute to the Beatles. There was frequently live music in the Living Room/Atrium. There are no casinos or bingo or silly poolside contests. Port and Shore Excursions The included excursions seemed well thought out and were generally as advertised. The optional excursions provided variety for more active passengers or beach goers. I compared prices for the optional excursions with similar excursions that I could book through my travel agent and I found the prices through Viking to be less expensive. In a few ports that we also walked to the area near the cruise port. And you always have the option to pick up a taxi and go to a specific location if you like. The only place I felt comfortable doing that was Grenada because the cabbies are trained, tested, and licensed. The cabbies on St. Kitts were especially aggressive. Viking does evening port talks and excursion reviews for the next day’s island. We usually watched it on the TV at breakfast. Included excursions are usually a ride on a small bus with narration by the driver or a local hop-on guide. In general they appeared to refer to written notes of important cultural, historical and political information but it was always delivered in a personable manner. The roads are very narrow and every driver seemed careful and skilled. Generally the ride was to venues with views and/or historical significance with a stop for shopping “local” crafts. (The “Artisan’s” Market in St. Kitts had many Made in India items.) I have no complaints about any of the included tours. Some of the stops have been modified since 2016 (read those negative reviews with that in mind) and I think it was for the better. I would encourage people to be realistic about their physical abilities. A careful reading of the “Moderate” description was accurate but if you add the heat of the Caribbean you have to have different expectations. The humidity and sun is incredible and when you have to traverse over uneven terrain, extra strength is necessary. The buses are small and steps are narrow often requiring passengers to back off the bus instead of step forward. Bathroom stops are often primitive. (No toilet seats at the market in Guadeloupe.) We rode open air safari type buses on some excursions and they were actually surprisingly comfortable once you got moving; the down side was bench seating but they were padded and not uncomfortable. But there was one tour bus that was supposed to have AC lost it 15 minutes in and the air flow was not as good even though we were able to open the windows. It was a 4 hour tour that turned into a 5 hour tour. Still, after I recovered, it was my favorite tour. We did three Optional Excursions St. Kitts-Safari Island Drive-A great tour guide/driver around the coast with a stop at Romney Manor where there was a batik demonstration and shop. Beautiful. St. Lucia Aerial Tram Tour-An open air ski lift through the rainforest. Very smooth and even my height-phobic husband enjoyed it. Many hummingbirds but no parrots. Grenada-Grand Etang, Cocoa and Rum-This was the tour on which the bus AC quit working. The tour was scheduled for 4 hours and ended up being 5. The trip into Grenville was extraneous and should have been pulled from the trip after it was apparent we were behind schedule. We viewed Grand Etang lake from an neighboring hill cluttered with wires, so that was a little disappointing. The driver was very informative about the spices and cocoa products and stopped by the road to pull a cacao pod and nutmeg which he opened and passed around. The cocoa processing facility was interesting. But by the time we got to the rum sampling I was starving, hot and grumpy and did not think it wise to drink rum. All that said, when I talk about the tours with others, this is the one that I have the most information to share. Disembarkation We did not like that we had to be off the ship and on the bus by 7:45 am for a 2 pm flight. We expected to be allowed to stay on the ship until 9 or 9:30. Nonetheless, the disembarkation process was spelled out the night before. If you want the information sooner, ask at Guest Services. Summary Viking is not for everyone. This is not a party ship. It is dignified but not stuffy. It is as comfortable as your own home with enough variety in dining options that everyone should be satisfied. While the list price might give you pause, another experienced cruiser told me that by the time you add the “extras” (airfare, beer and wine, bottled water) on to any other cruise line’s fare, you can expect to at least double the booking price. You could easily have a fantastic experience on Viking for the list price without spending any extra money.

All around excellent!

Viking Sea Cruise Review by SisterSpike

• Sail Date: October 2017
  • Destination: Caribbean

Travel

Hotel Arrangements

Stateroom

Ship Info

Room service for breakfast was prompt.

Activities

Children’s Club

No children are on this cruise line.

We did three Optional Excursions

Disembarkation

Summary

SisterSpike’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Sea price drops

• Island Tour
    My opinion of this tour is colored by a snippy tour guide and several passengers who were challenged by the heat and walking. Nice views but I felt our time in Nelson's Dockyard was too limited. We did not get to the museum.
    View All 160 Island Tour Reviews
  • Scenic Drive
    Delightful tour guide (although misinformed about male/female makeup of the islanders.) We went to a lovely church-St. James-instead of the advertised Blackwoods Screwdock, but it was all good. You can't see everything in the time allotted.
    View All 28 Scenic Drive Reviews
  • Grenada
    The bus AC quit working 15 minutes into the tour. The tour was scheduled for 4 hours and ended up being 5. The trip into Grenville was extraneous and should have been pulled from the trip after it was apparent we were behind schedule. We viewed Grand Etang lake from an neighboring hill cluttered with wires, so that was a little disappointing. The driver was very informative about the spices and cocoa products and stopped by the road to pull a cacao pod and nutmeg which he opened and passed around. The cocoa processing facility was interesting. But by the time we got to the rum sampling I was starving, hot and grumpy and did not think it wise to drink rum. All that said, when I talk about the tours with others, this is the one that I have the most information to share. I would recommend it and would have given it a 5 rating had it not been for the extra hour and broken AC.
    View All 12,442 Grenada Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Grenada Cruise Port Review
  • Guadeloupe
    Informative guide. Nice market (although bathroom facilities were woeful) and beautiful Castle Point. The St. Francois lagoon was the best beach on the Viking included tours with chairs and clean sand. The brief stop did not allow time for changing into a swimsuit, so if you want to get into the water, you have to wear your suit. Which I did. And take a ship beach towel.
    View All 12,442 Guadeloupe Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Guadeloupe Cruise Port Review
  • Walking Tour of Old San Juan
    Due to heat and lack of bathroom facilities it was challenging for some of the people on our tour. Very interesting and informative.
    View All 145 Walking Tour of Old San Juan Reviews
  • Island tour
    Safari Island Drive-A great tour guide/driver around the coast in an open air bus with a stop at Romney Manor where there was a batik demonstration and shop. Beautiful.
    View All 263 Island tour Reviews
  • Rainforest Aerial Tram Tour
    View All 25 Rainforest Aerial Tram Tour Reviews
  • Island Tour
    St. Thomas was a surprise addition to our itinerary due to Hurricane Maria's devastation. We were the first ship in 36 days. They still did not have power on most of the island and there were many broken trees but it did not affect the experience that we had. We took an open air safari-type vehicle for a city tour and then went to the Mountain Top to have a world famous banana daiquiri (extra.) The views were outstanding but the bus driver decided that we would spend more than an hour there and at the gift shop that was only half open. Oh well, we helped boost the economy.
    View All 263 Island Tour Reviews
  • St. Vincent
    The drive to Fort Charlotte passed the vegetable market which was interesting and colorful. The walk up the hill to Fort Charlotte was too challenging for some people and they had to stay on the bus. A shame, because the views were spectacular. We also stopped at Indian Bay beach which was down a steep narrow hill which created difficulties for the buses. The delivery of the complimentary rum punch was quite slow because they were using a picnic dispenser. It takes a while to fill 40-60 cups that way. The beach was rocky but a short walk away were some beautiful views of smaller islands.
    View All 12,442 St. Vincent Cruise Port Reviews