3. Adventure of the Seas
I wanted to write this review while my girlfriend and I were on the ship but decided to wait until it was over to give RC a fair review documenting every aspect of the cruise. We chose this specific cruise for two reasons. 1) The Itinerary 2) The time of year. Time of year is a critical choice as we prefer cruising during the school year when there are less children on board. We have sailed out of Puerto Rico twice before this cruise and were looking forward to an enjoyable and fun time as before. Sadly, from the beginning this was not the case. We always fly in the day before to allow a little personal decompression time and for an early and less stressful boarding. Being that Puerto Rico had recently been devastated by two hurricanes our hotel accommodations had to be cancelled (another poor review) and we were forced to fly in on the day of embarkation. RC did offer free transfers to and from the airport and got us on board quickly but only an hour and a half before sailing. Not exactly stress free. Also, since the USS Hope is anchored at the new dock, RC is using the old, very worn docks on the other side of the inlet. We boarded just as Muster Drill was ending so we were greeted by thousands of people scrambling back into the ship from their muster locations on the decks. It took nearly 15 minutes to get on an elevator and to our cabin. Since we had My Time Dining at 5:45 we went directly to the dining room for our first meal. There we were greet by Devendra and Dinesh our waiter and assistant waiter. They were an example of what we are accustomed to from RC. Excellent service, fun and funny, attentive, they always made our day throughout the cruise That first night was crucial as they were aware that we were stressed out from our flight. After dinner, we played a little in the casino and then called it an early night. The next day was our first Day at Sea and I was particularly looking forward to spending it by the pool. Imagine my surprise when I made it to the deck and there were hundreds of unattended children running around, no deck chairs available and the pools and hot tubs filled. Even the Solarium was crowded and had children running through it. It was then that I discovered that with school cancelled in PR until January and many businesses closed since there is still no electricity on most of the island, RC has provided housing for hundreds of displaced families. While I applaud RC for doing so, my vacation was almost destroyed by their efforts to help the hurricane victims. The first formal night was without the usual lobster. This was our first indication that there would be shortages in the dining room. During breakfast in the dining room the next 5 days they had no orange juice, ran out of sausages, and had some staff meltdowns in front of the passengers. The next three days were port calls to Curacao, Bonaire and Aruba. Once off the ship we did have fun with our chosen excursions. Back on board, the Shows were good, especially the ice show, service was excellent from our waiters, our cabin attendant Kenta and, when we were in the casino we had the 100% unyielding attention of Allen who was always there just as we took the last sip of our drinks. We loved Allen. Outside of those mentioned, there was a general feeling from the rest of the crew of getting fed up with dealing with the hurricane victims. As I said before, some of the crew were starting to have meltdowns. The truth is, without the staff mentioned, there wasn't much else that made this cruise enjoyable. There are so many negative things I could write about this cruise that I would come off as heartless. The second Day at Sea was spent mostly in the Casino and on our balcony for the same reasons as the first day. Kids everywhere, no chairs available on the deck, etc. We ate in the Windjammer which was fairly good. I was surprised to find Prime Rib at the carving station. Finding a table was an adventure on it's own. Many of the families would plant one member down to save the table for the rest. The second formal night included shortages of several items on the menu. Quality of food in the main dining room was below RC's usual standard. Our last day was in St. Kitts and we spent the day on an excellent six hour excursion. Back on board, dinner went well, yet with more items on the menu not available. We took in the last comedy show which was really funny and then back to the casino (mainly to get a few drinks from Allen). Debarkation the next day was painless and quick. I believe many of the PR passengers remained on board as the AOS is their temporary home. All in all, I will not take another cruise that embarks in San Juan for a least two years, maybe more. I feel it was a poor decision on Royal Caribbean's part to continue sailing out of PR. My suggestion to you if you are currently booked on a cruise out of San Juan is to re-book out of a stateside port.

Puerto Rico Mis-Adventure of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by vidmanpk

vidmanpk’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas price drops

Good Condition, Everything worked. Good location. Quiet.
  Adventure of the Seas Deck Plans