3. Adventure of the Seas
Chose this cruise over a year ago because of the itinerary - which was slightly changed due to the hurricanes. This was fine - and not a factor in my review. We were early to embark, had the 12:30 slot. It was raining and the process was not organized. Wet luggage delivered at 9pm - including the contents. I assumed that the luggage was kept under cover, but apparently not. This was frustrating and disappointing as a start, but our room attendant brought tons of hangars and I had clothes hanging everywhere trying to dry. Our room was fine. We've been on the bigger, newer ships, and the age of this one did show a little. The balcony was teeny, barely fit the table/chair, so we hardly used it. Would not recommend spending the money for balcony on this ship if you are unsure. It ended up being just a window for us. But the room space was perfect and there were lots of areas for storage. Water pressure at the sink was nill. But shower was great. Ship has been kept in great condition. It was clean and neat, and every staff person very friendly and accommodating. But overall, it was uninspiring. Biggest pluses: Weather was good (hot, but sunny) and seas calm. Spa was great - services exceptional - and appointments easy to get even last minute. Fitness and wellness staff knowledgeable and dedicated to their jobs and the people they worked with. (shout out to Marko who was always a pleasure to see everyday) Coffee at the (pizza place? I think) was best I've had on a cruise. Consistently good. Dining room staff was great and the food was better than any other (free) options on the ship. (though we paid to eat in the restaurants or on the islands as much as possible) Getting on/off ship at ports - well organized and never backlogged. Biggest disappointments: Windjammer. Probably worst food ever on a cruise. Healthy food / salad bar pretty much non-existent. (salad bar was like 6 things and 3 lettuces - never changed) For everyone else in my party, soup was same most days and just repeat stews etc. And of course, crowded - All. The. Time. Nothing makes me feel more like I'm NOT on vacation than fighting crowds for a table or a plate. We stopped even thinking of eating there any day we were at sea or any time that was "normal" eating time. Late night (after 9:30) eating: There is only 1 option. And that's to stand in line for 30 minutes for a slice of rubber pizza or a stale left over tomato/mozzarella sandwich. We were shocked by this. They keep serving drinks of course, till wee hours - so make sure you stow food in your room if you need to eat when you're drinking a lot! Entertainment: not abundant. I was happy to be on a ship that didn't require you to reserve your seats for everything in advance. I guess the downside to that is limited activity. The theater is extremely comfortable though and we could always get a seat. Excursions - ours got cancelled on this sailing. Was a theme with many people we met. That's never happened before- especially so many of them. We ended up winging it at each port and that was OK. Every stop had a decent local tour available. While the ship did offer activities during the day - the fun stuff was poolside - and impossible to get near unless you camped out 2+ hours ahead of time. It was a crowded ship. And I hear they are refurbishing in January and adding MORE cabins. Can't imagine. Ports: Curacao: We did Resort for a Day at Santa Barbara. Had a great time - highly recommended. Beach was wonderful. Beautiful resort. Our sunset cruise (booked on ship) was canceled. Bonnaire: If you didn't book a water activity, there's not much to see here at the port. Little shopping, no restaurants. So,we ended up taking advantage of the thinner crowd and stayed mostly on ship. Aruba: beautiful island and were were docked there all day (7am to 11pm). Did a walking tour with an outside company which was interesting and fun and provided a chance to eat local food. Then grabbed a taxi to Eagle Beach for the afternoon ($20 for a chair!) but really enjoyed the beach and the drinks. Wanted to shop, but most things closed at 6pm, so we just did some bar/food hopping and hit the casino. St. Kitts: Made this our shopping port since excursion was canceled and we have been here before. Locals super friendly and lots of shops/straw market. Friends grabbed an island tour by local taxi and said it was incredible. So the itinerary was great. The ship was just good. This is our 5th RCI cruise and we just booked a newer ship (Harmony) for next year. We've done Oasis and Anthem (in the years they were new) so maybe this smaller ship just wasn't for us. Our party is on the fence as to whether we need to consider another line. So we'll give it one more shot !!

Generally good .... but not our favorite.

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by Samidogcruiser

But overall, it was uninspiring.

Biggest pluses:

Weather was good (hot, but sunny) and seas calm.

Getting on/off ship at ports - well organized and never backlogged.

Biggest disappointments: