We bid on the cruise at a charity auction for the Sunshine School for Children with Special Needs in Bequia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, after hearing what a wonderful time others had had on the cruise, and we thoroughly enjoyed the cruise. I was a little leery as I get sea sick easily, but I used the scopalomine patches and they worked great. The crew was fantastic and bent over backwards to make us happy, the sailboat gorgeous, and the passengers all got along great. The cruise we chose was the French West Indies and it was fantastic. We departed from Marigot Bay, St. Lucia; sailed south past the Pitons, St. Lucia before heading north to Dominica (we couldn't stop there due to hurricane damage), went to St. Pierre, Martinique; Terre de Haut, Isle des Saintes, Guadeloupe; Deshaies, Gaudeloupe; Anse Arlet, Martinique; and Pigeon Point, Rodney Bay, St. Lucia. Every day there was a different area to explore, hiking, shopping, and swimming and snorkelling. We loved it and will do it again. The standard cabins are quite small, but you don't spend much time in your cabin so that isn't an issue, at least it wasn't for us. The food was fantastic and different every day. Full breakfast, hot lunch most days, happy hour at five with rum drinks and snacks, then a lovely dinner. lots of wine, beer and soft drinks...and popcorn for snacking...you just helped yourself to coffee, tea, and cold drinks whenever you wanted. Being gluten intolerant I was delighted that the chefs went out of the way to make sure that everything was okay for me, and made something special for me almost every meal. Entertainment on board is the passengers and 'how entertaining can you be'. There was only one organized shore excursion at St. Pierre and other than that the ops manager told us about points of interest and provided information and we all pretty much went different directions on shore, some to explore, some to shop, some to snorkel and swim, and some stayed aboard and read, swam from the boat, or napped.

Our first cruise ever and we loved it

Vela Cruise Review by ladolcevitabequia

Entertainment on board is the passengers and 'how entertaining can you be'.

ladolcevitabequia’s Full Rating Summary
Get Vela price drops

the cabins are tiny, but most have a lower bunk and an upper bunk. there are two shelves above the head of the lower bunk and a couple of wall hooks, plus a space wide enough for 2 duffel bags under the bed, and we stored items on the upper bunk as well. The cabins have a porthole, and a/c. the bathroom is very small about 9 square feet with shower, toilet and tiny sink, and a little shelf up above the shower to store your toothpaste and toothbrush, and not much else, and when you shower everything gets wet, but it's functional. There are a couple of larger cabins with bigger bathrooms and a bigger bed, in fact the owners cabin has a king size bed and a proper bathroom, but the couple in that cabin didn't stay in their cabin any more than the rest of us did.