3. Norwegian Dawn
One of the big things I like about a vacation is the planning I do upfront. It was difficult to do for this cruise since we didn't know till about 3 weeks before departure if and where we were going. That made it much more difficult to feel excited about the ports we finally were going to. Embarkment - got there around 10:30 - had them take our luggage - went up stairs and only waited about 5 mins before we were being checked in. Found some seats and waited about an hour to get on-board. Actually we were with someone that was getting married so they let us board right after the platinum and handicap boarding. So we were having lunch at O'Sheehan's with a drink in hand within 15 mins of boarding. Note that the doors to get to the rooms was close but we saw people going in anyway so we did it and was able to leave our carry-ons in the room. Room - decent bed - pillow top on pull-out couch - but alway very very dark. It was so dark in the room I didn't find the light in the closet for the first few days. I would use my phone to try to see the cloths on the shelves. When I did find the light switch the light would blink off and on so still not so great. Left it on one morning and the steward must have seen the issue and had it fixed. Safe was not working so we had to have maintenance come reset it for us - they needed to have us in the room for them to reset it. Bathroom in room is fairly large - steward always had plenty of towels for the three of us. Of course as you know very small balcony. I wanted to mention our friends had room 11618 - it is a handicap room - OMG it is a very large room - great closet - you can see all the shelves - enormous balcony - two lounge chairs two tables and two regular chairs - I was so so jealous. I did use their balcony a couple of times to sit out and read. Much smaller bathroom but the room size and balcony made up for it. Entertainment - felt you could always have some fun during the day - dancing by the pool - the 'stupid' games they played were entertaining. Shows at night not bad. I was feeling sick by the 4th night so I missed many of the shows since I was asleep so early. Dining - Breakfast was decent - they couldn't get two eggs over medium right - I think the omelet pans were too hot - sometimes food was warm - sometimes cold at the buffet. Usually did quick lunch either eating food from the outside area near the pool or at buffet - nothing special. Ate in one of the two free dinning rooms every night. Sometimes with my large group which we had booked ahead and sometimes with just my husband and daughter. Never had an issue getting a seat immediately. Food was decent - first time on a cruise I loved the deserts. Missed the setup they use to have in the evening where they had chicken wings/chicken tenders out and you could help yourself. I didn't feel they were as good from O'Sheehans - maybe it was the wait for them. O'Sheehan's food on Dawn was not as good as the food on the Breakaway in O'Sheehan's - nacho cheese was runny as was the artichoke dip. Pool - luckily we had very few kids on this cruise so we could enjoy the pool most of the time. Sometimes it was overrun by kids but at least not every day. Loved the salt water and when there were waves. Hot Tub - had 17 of us in it one day - was lots of fun. Bar/Lounge- we didn't find a set bar in the evenings for the group to meet. Really missed the Pearly Kings that is replace with wine bar. Wine bar is pretty but limited. So felt this kept the full group from being together. Couple of times when there was a 'party; on the pool deck at night it worked better for us. Servers - found a good one at the pool area named Mark - he would try to keep up with our orders. Brought us shots when we were in the hot tub with the 17 people and the other 10 around the outside. Wedding - originally attending a wedding in St. Thomas - cruise people had to re-coordinate it due to hurricane keeping us from St. Thomas (though last day they changed us again and we actually made it to St. Thomas). They picked a very nice location for outside event next to beach in St. Lucia. In the evening the manager of the Venetian setup a few tables at the window for the wedding dinner. That was very nice of them since it was not planned ahead of the cruise but only after the 2nd day of the cruise. Ports - Antigua - too many ships in port - and it was our first stop - was crowded and hot and smelly. But got to the beach - Darkwood and it was the best beach of any of the islands beaches I went to this trip. Martinique - so so so pretty as you come into port. Walked over to the ferry and took it to the other side to a beach - this was what I guess someone mentioned to others in our group. The beach was ok - not really much of a beach - be careful letting anyone wander off on their own to the right of this area - seems like a couple of guys were living there - and one decided he had to pee when I was within eye shot! St. Lucia - this was the wedding day - took vans to Pigeon Island - very pretty area not sure if any public beaches here but did manage to dip in after the wedding. St Kitts - most of the group went shopping - there were tons of people with monkeys that they tried to get you to pay for taking a picture with them. I took a catamaran cruise from the ship excursions - was fun - though it poured just as we were getting into the water so difficult to see - cleared up and got to see a sea turtle - had some strong rum punch on the way back - had guys put monkeys on us as we headed back to ship - my daughter gave them $10.00 to get a picture - they tried to get $10.00 more for putting them on me but we just walked away. St. Thomas - the night before we were told we were going to St. Thomas - it was so quiet pulling into port - we took an open air taxi with 12 of our group to Megan's bay - was so sad to see some of the damage - still some great views from above but many electric poles down - electric work trucks everywhere - saw one side road completely gone. OMG so so sad at the beach - tons and tons of trees down - really abit of a mess but they were really trying to give us a good experience. They had thrown together a 'bar' area so they could serve soda and drinks. They had people doing the lounge chairs and umbrellas. water was actually slightly cool here compared to the other islands. disembarkment in San Juan - we had a late flight at 5:45 - originally planned to try to see some of Old San Juan but had heard the airport had a power outage the day before and long lines. Our friends decided to pay $25.00 a person to do the airport transfer with Norwegian - a few of us decided to do taxis - we got into line same time they did and made it to the area to get luggage at the same time - they got into an elevator we took stairs - ended up at the same point. They got a porter (they had 7 people) and the porter took them right to the security desk - only cost them $5.00 so we decided to do this as well. Worked out great - he took our bags - grabbed some other peoples bags - had us thru security quickly - took our bags out to area to get a taxi - got us a taxi - two other of our friends were out there so it was 5 us in one taxi van - cost $28,00 for all of us (course we gave her $40. - she still didn't have power where she lived). Anyway my point here is just get a taxi - so so much cheaper and I am at least she is the one getting the money versus Norwegian. Plus we got through security - had pizza and got our bags checked before our friends taking the Norwegian transfer even got to the airport. San Juan airport is fine - plenty of places to seat and to eat - or drink.

November 3rd mystery cruise

Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by getab0at

• Sail Date: November 2017
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony

Hot Tub - had 17 of us in it one day - was lots of fun.

getab0at’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Dawn price drops

Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MA 11610
nice beds - very very dark room. you really have to pull the room darkening curtains so far back to get any light in the room. never was able to see if I was putting my makeup on ok even though we did have this mirror insert in the bathroom that was a magnifying mirror - it was just still pretty dark to see clearly.
This room is a great location in that it is very near the elevator. While I never heard noise from the hallway we did hear noises above starting by around 5:30/6am. Not terrible but it was distracting at times
Deck 11 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins