3. Norwegian Escape
RCCL VS NCL I want to start off by stating I am an NCL fan and at Latitude Level Platinum Plus member and plan to be Ambassador by 2019. You don’t get much more loyal than that. We have reached Emerald status on RCCL. We have also sailed on Carnival twice and Celebrity once. My wife and I have gotten to the point now were we typically book cruises for the number one reason of exploring the world and we mostly book for the itinerary. The second thing we look at is the ship age and size, and last, we look at the cruise line. I guess we also book cruises because of the Casino relationships and benefits. We get free cruise offers form Caesar’s Entertainment through NCL, and we get frees cruise offers from M-Life MGM and RCCL. We currently are booked on a build your own 142 days around the world cruise for 2018. Sailing Crystal from LA to Sydney. NCL Sydney to Tokyo. RCCL Singapore to Singapore. Celebrity Tokyo to Alaska. We just ended a 21-night sailing on RCCL Serenade of the Seas B2B cruise Boston to Florida, followed by a 7-night Caribbean cruise on NCL Eclipse. A conversation with another couple aboard about what cruise line we prefer started this thought process in my head of what makes a cruise line better than the others, so here are my thoughts. I think NCL does most things right. They have been the leader of Freestyle dining and casual cruising. Not sure who started the specialty restaurants on cruise ships that you pay additional for but here my thoughts. In my opinion, I believe NCL started pushing their specialty dining to relieve the burden on the main dining venues. They started including specialty dining packages and now it is common. I believe they have also lowered the quality and experience by opening the gates. The steaks in Cagney’s are not what they used to be Lobster Surf and Turf no longer exist on the menu. Used to be these specialty restaurants were on point, so much better than the Main dining that you would pay out of your pocket for it. In my opinion those days are gone, its just part of the package now. As far as branding goes I will give hats off to RCCl with having Johnny Rockets on board and NCL with having the Margaritaville. Smart cross marketing and branding. Next let's look at shipboard entertainment. As far as shows go both do a great job of creating original content and think that the entertainment is really ship driven. The bigger the ships the better the entertainment. If you really like going to shows every night then stick with the newer bigger ships. Rock of Ages and The Big Top, Cirque-style shows on NCL and the Broadway-style show on RCCL are great. The smaller ships tend to not have the big production shows, the other entertainment venues. I will have to say RCCL may have a better grasp on shipboard entertainment. With the addition of the surf simulators, Ripcord I FLY, North Star observation, Aquashow and Ice rinks they appear to be hitting home run after home run here. Another observation is that some of the NCL ships have bowling and we have bowled in the past, now on the Eclipse, you pay extra for that. In my opinion, I don’t like that the all-inclusive cruising model keeps getting cut out. The biggest innovation on NCL appears to be the go-kart track really GO KARTS? RCCL also does a better job of movies and theatre venues on RCCL they also appear to have made it a priority to have newer shows and convenient movie times. The only thing both are missing out on is POPCORN. Main dining room, as we often cruise for longer periods of time than 7 nights. The main dining can sometimes get stale for us. I remember cruising when dining was the evening event. We felt like the RCCL MDR was phoning it in food was never HOT and servers seemed to be overbooked to really give a first-class experience. It also seems to be recycled over and over. Would like to see fresh menus from both NCL and RCCL. I also remember when they used to have themed midnight buffets and Chocolate buffet night. NCL used to do some out-door Bar B Que and mixed it up a bit, I think now they just push specialty dining. Looking at technology and the experience I was a little disappointed in the NCL Escape in that they still are operating on the magnetic key cards. The RCCL Serenade older, the smaller ship had the improved NFC key cards. I also find it outdated to have to have so many cards. The casino gives you a player’s card and if you play enough you get another card, a drink card, if you buy Vibe passes you get another card now I have 5 cards to get access and privileges really NCL you can do better. The Wi-Fi on NCL has improved I understand they had some long-term agreements with providers they were waiting out. The newer ships have allot better access and speed. They are charging a pretty penny for it still, but it does work better. I was disappointed in that we were entitled to 60 minutes a piece of free Wi-Fi however because I purchased a package with no discount for Latitudes I forfeited my free 60 min. RCCL has the VOOM service and they don’t limit what you can stream and do online. SKYPE, FACETIME, YouTube all work and pretty good. We were able to access TV anywhere and watch our favorite shows on RCCL. We have never been on a cruise we didn’t have a good time on some have been better than others. We enjoy exploring the world by cruising and waking up in a different port every day and will continue until we get tired of it. We will continue to explore the other cruise lines and see what things other cruise lines do better than the others. Cruising through Life one port at a time!

RCCL VS NCL

Norwegian Escape Cruise Review by drosborn

• Sail Date: November 2017
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Aft-facing Mini-Suite with Balcony
RCCL VS NCL

Cruising through Life one port at a time!
drosborn’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Escape price drops

Aft-facing Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin M1 13228
The only real difference between the mini suite and a balcony is the bathroom. It has a double sink and large shower that IMHO is well worth it.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins