3. Adventure of the Seas
Have you read Part I of Adventure of the Seas By L. Watson? Part II 12/14/01 ----- Day 6 ---- St. Maarten We got up about 8:30am and went to the fitness center and I did about 20 minutes on the machine I liked so much. It is getting harder to work out. I don't have the same energy level I had at the beginning of the week. I weighed myself and found that I had gained 6 pounds. I guess that isn't bad considering how much I have eaten and drank these last few weeks, but I guess that might explain my lower energy level. Also, Brian had caught a cold and wasn't feeling very well at all. He had a sore throat and an ear ache. He did a brief workout and then he did a steam thinking it would help, but I'm not sure a warm moist climate is good for a cold, but I don't know. The Adventure of the Seas is now in the port of Phillipsburg, St. Maarten. This is the island of two countries - St. Maarten - Dutch and St. Martin - French. We had been to St. Maarten on a previous cruise, but had not been to the French side of St. Martin. The last time we were here, a tender had to take us since there the pier for cruise ships had not been built yet. Since then a huge pier was built for cruise ships to dock at. It is an incredibly nice pier, but it is a ways from Phillipsburg. We didn't realize how far it was and instead of paying a taxi to take us just around the corner, we decided to walk over to Phillipsburg and catch a bus to Marigot, St. Martin on the French side. Well, Phillipsburg, wasn't just around the corner and we walked about a mile before we got into town. It wasn't too hot and it wasn't a bad walk, we just were not expecting it. We read ahead of time that the most inexpensive way to go to Marigot was by bus for $1.50 per person. We could of done on of the excursions, but we wanted to see Marigot on our own so we found a bus stop and waited. We realized after about 15 vans went by that those were the buses and that we had to look in their windows for a card that read their destination and wave them down. It was not a very far distance - the whole Island is only 37 square miles - but it took about 25 minutes to get to Marigot with traffic. The most congested of the traffic was right in Phillipsburg, St. Maarten. Marigot was not as crowded with tourists and it was enjoyable to walk around the quaint coastal French town. We stopped at a small cafe for a thirst quenching Orangina before setting off to explore. My favorite part was the marina harbor side with all the French style restaurants on the water front. It was a picture out of a painting until it started to rain. We ducked into the Le Galleon restaurant to get out of the rain. We had to move back from our original table when it started to rain harder and blow in on us. It was a really cool rain storm that I don't think they get very often. We ordered a couple of beers and an appetizer that consisted of raw ham, white ham, and homemade (liver?) pate - it was definitely interesting and not what we usually consume. Then I had mussels with French baguettes that were excellent and Brian had a flank steak that was too rare for his tastes but he ate it anyway and said it was good. The waiter was very nice, good looking and French of course! Ooh La La - don't all us girls have those French guy fantasies? It was a very enjoyable meal and the rain had lessened a great deal when we were ready to go. We found another bus stop and went back to Phillipsburg and walked back to the ship. It started raining again when we were about half way to the ship, but we didn't care because we were already damp from earlier and we didn't mind the rain. We rested and got cleaned up when we got back to the room. From the looks of the weather outside, it seemed like it was going to rain for the rest of the day and it did on and off. We went bar hopping for a couple of hours and stopped in the casino for our daily black jack and won $60. Then we went to supper and Moses acted like he was hurt that we skipped the formal dinner the night before. We jokingly apologized over and over and said it would not happen again. He was a very funny guy who we enjoyed very much. He spent a lot of time with us talking and joking around. We had ordered a bottle of wine from our interactive television screen to have with dinner but it was not there. The system was down, but Moses took care of it right away. I had shrimp that night and Jasper, the head waiter came by and cut the tails and shells off my large butter flied shrimp. He made it a point to stop at our table every night to make sure everything was okay. The show that night was a singer/impressionist from Canada named Martin Dube who we would get to know a little better while playing Blackjack in the casino tomorrow night. He sang songs and sounded just like the original artists. I thought he was great. There were a couple we thought he shouldn't have tried, but most of his impressions were amazing - even of female singers! He did everyone from Madonna to Shaina Twain from Elton John to Garth Brooks. This is the only time I got to hear country music so I was happy even if it was just a couple of phrases. Country music is one small thing I would request that cruise lines add but we are probably too small of a group to accommodate. There is a really good assortment of music like piano, jazz, calypso, guitar, top 40 dance, easy listening and especially Latino music on this cruise but no country music. I definitely liked all that they had to offer, but it would have been nice to hear my favorite type of music too. But that's just my opinion - Brian of course doesn't share it, because he is a little bit rock and roll. HA! After the show, we tried to catch the "Rockin' through the Decades" parade in on the Promenade street but it was just too crowded to see anything. But of course we saw the Krooz Komics on stilts who were just as upbeat and spectacular as ever. Later there was a "Rockin' thru the Decades" party in Studio B where they had covered the ice with a dance floor. We had already missed the 50s and 60s and had heard YMCA at least 15 times through out both of our cruises which was fun to dance to for the first 5 times or so. There were other bands in the 70s besides Village People, wasn't there? Brian was feeling pretty cruddy because of his cold, so we didn't stick around and called it an early night at midnight. 12/15/01 ---- Day 7 ---- St. Thomas It poured down rain all day long! I thought it never rained in the Caribbean like that! We think that St. Thomas got all of its average rainfall for the year that day. All the excursions were cancelled which didn't bother us because we were not planning on getting off the ship anyway. It was a bummer though because this was our last day on the cruise and we had been looking forward to swimming, playing miniature golf and maybe rollerblading while most of the people were off the ship. Oh well, we had to make the best of it so we had room service breakfast on our balcony and enjoyed the sound of the rain for awhile. Then we went to workout which was really not a good idea so soon after breakfast. We should have worked out before we ate because it took everything I had to do 15 minutes on the machine because I was so sluggish. We sat in the mineral hot tub in the center of the spa for awhile, then we did a sauna and a steam. Clearly it was going to be a day for pure relaxation and doing as little as possible. Later that afternoon, we went up to the Solarium pool area and dozed on the deck chairs. It was raining hard but we were under a covered spot. Brian noticed the Solarium Bar was open so we got a Bloody Mary as we headed back to our room. Brian decided the Bloody Mary didn't have enough alcohol so he called room service. I didn't think they would deliver drinks to your room, but they did. A girl came with a tray that held two very full vodka martinis. She came in the room, knelt down and placed the tray on the coffee table. We were extremely impressed that she did not spill a drop. I would have had vodka all over the place. We got the cheese out of the fridge that we had bought in Aruba the previous Friday when we were on the Carnival Destiny, ate much of it and watched the movie, "The Mexican". It was so funny, but it could have been because of the martinis. After the movie when we were full of cheese and alcohol, we went back up to the Solarium pool and sat in a hot tub. The Adventure of the Seas left St. Thomas at 6pm and headed to San Juan. The overall mood of everyone on the ship was glum. Many had never been to St. Thomas and were very disappointed with the rainy day. We were feeling a little glum because our vacation was almost over. We went back to our cabin to get our gratuity envelopes ready for the staff that provided such wonderful service. Unlike Carnival who now automatically puts the tips on your sail and sign card, Royal Caribbean gives you the option of putting the tips on your super charge card if you want. We like to personally give each crew member their tip with a very verbal thank you for all the hard work they did for us. We then located Teodore, our cabin steward who did a fantastic job cleaning up after us and gave him his envelope. We went to the Farewell show before supper and Ken, the cruise director did his best to put everyone in a good mood again. There was a comedian and a balancing act that were part of the Welcome Aboard show that we had skipped the first night. They were excellent. The ship was really rocking again and it was incredibly amazing that the balancing guy didn't fall and break his neck! He managed to crawl up on top of a ton of various objects he placed on top of one another, including rolling cylinders and moving things like that. I held my breath the entire time. We then went to supper, handed out our tip envelopes and said good bye to Moses, Mustafa and Jasper. Then we went to the casino for our last night of gambling. Brian won a little over $70 on roulette while I lost about $25 on black jack. We were ready to call it quits when we decided to play a Pink Panther dollar slot machine. I had never played anything more than quarters so that my $20 lasts a little longer, but we decided to live a little since it was our last night. We played about $10 and won $115! We cashed out, shopped a little at the Promenade shops and went bar hopping again. Our bar tab by the way was fairly extensive with the wide array of alcohol we consumed. Finally, we decided we better get back to the room and pack. How depressing of a thought that was because I did not want to think about getting off this incredible ship in the morning. We had a really difficult time packing because for one, we didn't want to and for another the rocking motion was horrible. I actually got sick to my stomach for the first time. We managed to get everything packed and out in the hall at 12:15am. We did not fall asleep easily with the all the rocking the ship did on this last night. 12/16/01 ----- San Juan, Puerto Rico ------ Debarkation of the Adventure of the Seas Yesterday in St. Thomas, we went through immigration process while on the ship. Everyone had to do this even if they did not get off of the ship in St. Thomas because we were back in an United States port. But since we didn't get off the ship, we did it at our leisure just before the deadline and there wasn't any wait at all. It only took a couple of minutes and we were happy to be done with this the day before we debarked. The morning of debarking, we didn't have to report to a lounge at a certain time and get off the ship when our color tag was called - like we had to on all our previous Carnival cruises. All we had to do was to be out of our room by 8:30 and we had a leisurely breakfast in the dining room since we were staying in San Juan that day and in no hurry to get off the ship. Then we walked around and decided to relax in the Lyric Theatre where they had CNN on for awhile, then Animal Planet and the Travel Channel. They announced airline flight numbers for people to know when to get off the ship. I was catching up on my notes for this review when finally around 11:45, they announced that all remaining guests should debark at that time. There were no lines of people waiting to get off and when we got into the massive terminal, it was empty except for a few people and pieces of luggage here and there, so ours was extremely easy to locate. We hired a porter to load up our bags and take us to a taxi. He collected our customs card from us and commented about how busy the place was an hour before. We got into a taxi and headed to the El Convento Hotel because we were not flying back to Anchorage until the next day. We got to the hotel before check in time a little after noon, but our room was ready. The El Convento Hotel was a small luxury hotel right across from the San Juan Cathedral on Cristo Street in Old San Juan. For 250 years, it served as a convent to the Carmelite Nuns. It is really old and slightly musty, but restored very nicely. It is very comfortable and decorated with Spanish antiques, yet had all the conveniences and amenities we could possibly have wanted. We had a couple of beers and tried Puerto Rican style pizza in a cafe downstairs and then spent a couple of hours in the hot tub on the sun deck. It was very cloudy, but it did not rain on us. The clouds were nice because we didn't have to worry about burning our still pale arctic skin. We took a short nap and then headed to the lobby for complementary wine and cheese that was being offered from 6pm - 7:30pm. We called home to check on our dog whom we missed very much and he was doing fine. We took a short walk around Old San Juan and down to the Governor's mansion to see his Christmas decorations at night and headed back to the hotel. We rented a bad movie but managed to stay awake to see the Adventure of the Seas go by on its way back out to sea for its fifth official cruise. Sniff - our vacation is over. 12/17/01 ------ American Airlines ----- Flight 1777 ----- San Juan to Barrow Alaska We checked out of the El Convento hotel at 7:00 and had a light complementary breakfast there. The porter got us a taxi and loaded our bags and we headed to the airport. The lines were massive and we were happy to be flying first class thanks to travel awards. We like taking vacations and cruising, but right now, we wish we didn't have to fly to get to these destinations since our location is quite remote and the trip from San Juan to Barrow took us 24 hours. We were definitely happy to be back home with Merlin, our dog and to put and end to the transportational commute portion of our vacation. Final thoughts: The worst complaint or more of an "irritation" - that we experienced on both ships - was the population of the Spanish only speaking people on board. The people from Puerto Rico received incredible bargains for these cruises and brought whole families. It was one big party for them and many of these families acted like they were the only ones on board. Everyone deserves to have a good time, but it was very hard to move through or around large groups of people as they congregated in walk through areas. They didn't seem to care that they were always in the way of others, and they didn't understand the phrase "excuse me" or they wouldn't hear it until we said it the 3rd or 4th time because they were always talking so loudly to one another. It was a little bit of a pain at the beginning, but by the end of cruise, it was extremely annoying! I happily embrace other cultures and peoples but I don't have much tolerance for anyone who's down right rude. It was uncommon to find ourselves on an elevator with any one who spoke English and on several of the occasions that we were with English speaking people, they commented that they were happy to be on an elevator that was not loaded with overly loud Latino conversation and rude families. I was relieved to know that we were not the only ones to feel this way.

Adventure of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by Leslie Watson

• Sail Date: December 1899
  • Destination:
Have you read Part I of Adventure of the Seas By L. Watson?

Part II
12/14/01 ----- Day 6 ---- St. Maarten

We got up about 8:30am and went to the fitness center and I did about 20
minutes on the machine I liked so much. It is getting harder to work out.
I don't have the same energy level I had at the beginning of the week. I
weighed myself and found that I had gained 6 pounds. I guess that isn't bad
considering how much I have eaten and drank these last few weeks, but I
guess that might explain my lower energy level. Also, Brian had caught a
cold and wasn't feeling very well at all. He had a sore throat and an ear
ache. He did a brief workout and then he did a steam thinking it would
help, but I'm not sure a warm moist climate is good for a cold, but I don't
know.

The Adventure of the Seas is now in the port of Phillipsburg, St. Maarten.
This is the island of two countries - St. Maarten - Dutch and St. Martin -
French. We had been to St. Maarten on a previous cruise, but had not been
to the French side of St. Martin. The last time we were here, a tender had
to take us since there the pier for cruise ships had not been built yet.
Since then a huge pier was built for cruise ships to dock at. It is an
incredibly nice pier, but it is a ways from Phillipsburg. We didn't realize
how far it was and instead of paying a taxi to take us just around the
corner, we decided to walk over to Phillipsburg and catch a bus to Marigot,
St. Martin on the French side. Well, Phillipsburg, wasn't just around the
corner and we walked about a mile before we got into town. It wasn't too
hot and it wasn't a bad walk, we just were not expecting it. We read ahead
of time that the most inexpensive way to go to Marigot was by bus for $1.50
per person. We could of done on of the excursions, but we wanted to see
Marigot on our own so we found a bus stop and waited. We realized after
about 15 vans went by that those were the buses and that we had to look in
their windows for a card that read their destination and wave them down. It
was not a very far distance - the whole Island is only 37 square miles - but
it took about 25 minutes to get to Marigot with traffic. The most congested
of the traffic was right in Phillipsburg, St. Maarten.

Marigot was not as crowded with tourists and it was enjoyable to walk around
the quaint coastal French town. We stopped at a small cafe for a thirst
quenching Orangina before setting off to explore. My favorite part was the
marina harbor side with all the French style restaurants on the water front.
It was a picture out of a painting until it started to rain. We ducked into
the Le Galleon restaurant to get out of the rain. We had to move back from
our original table when it started to rain harder and blow in on us. It was
a really cool rain storm that I don't think they get very often. We ordered
a couple of beers and an appetizer that consisted of raw ham, white ham, and
homemade (liver?) pate - it was definitely interesting and not what we
usually consume. Then I had mussels with French baguettes that were
excellent and Brian had a flank steak that was too rare for his tastes but
he ate it anyway and said it was good. The waiter was very nice, good
looking and French of course! Ooh La La - don't all us girls have those
French guy fantasies? It was a very enjoyable meal and the rain had
lessened a great deal when we were ready to go. We found another bus stop
and went back to Phillipsburg and walked back to the ship. It started
raining again when we were about half way to the ship, but we didn't care
because we were already damp from earlier and we didn't mind the rain.

We rested and got cleaned up when we got back to the room. From the looks
of the weather outside, it seemed like it was going to rain for the rest of
the day and it did on and off. We went bar hopping for a couple of hours
and stopped in the casino for our daily black jack and won $60. Then we
went to supper and Moses acted like he was hurt that we skipped the formal
dinner the night before. We jokingly apologized over and over and said it
would not happen again. He was a very funny guy who we enjoyed very much.
He spent a lot of time with us talking and joking around. We had ordered a
bottle of wine from our interactive television screen to have with dinner
but it was not there. The system was down, but Moses took care of it right
away. I had shrimp that night and Jasper, the head waiter came by and cut
the tails and shells off my large butter flied shrimp. He made it a point
to stop at our table every night to make sure everything was okay.

The show that night was a singer/impressionist from Canada named Martin Dube
who we would get to know a little better while playing Blackjack in the
casino tomorrow night. He sang songs and sounded just like the original
artists. I thought he was great. There were a couple we thought he
shouldn't have tried, but most of his impressions were amazing - even of
female singers! He did everyone from Madonna to Shaina Twain from Elton
John to Garth Brooks. This is the only time I got to hear country music so
I was happy even if it was just a couple of phrases. Country music is one
small thing I would request that cruise lines add but we are probably too
small of a group to accommodate. There is a really good assortment of music
like piano, jazz, calypso, guitar, top 40 dance, easy listening and
especially Latino music on this cruise but no country music. I definitely
liked all that they had to offer, but it would have been nice to hear my
favorite type of music too. But that's just my opinion - Brian of course
doesn't share it, because he is a little bit rock and roll. HA!

After the show, we tried to catch the "Rockin' through the Decades" parade
in on the Promenade street but it was just too crowded to see anything. But
of course we saw the Krooz Komics on stilts who were just as upbeat and
spectacular as ever. Later there was a "Rockin' thru the Decades" party in
Studio B where they had covered the ice with a dance floor. We had already
missed the 50s and 60s and had heard YMCA at least 15 times through out both
of our cruises which was fun to dance to for the first 5 times or so. There
were other bands in the 70s besides Village People, wasn't there? Brian was
feeling pretty cruddy because of his cold, so we didn't stick around and
called it an early night at midnight.

12/15/01 ---- Day 7 ---- St. Thomas

It poured down rain all day long! I thought it never rained in the
Caribbean like that! We think that St. Thomas got all of its average
rainfall for the year that day. All the excursions were cancelled which
didn't bother us because we were not planning on getting off the ship
anyway. It was a bummer though because this was our last day on the cruise
and we had been looking forward to swimming, playing miniature golf and
maybe rollerblading while most of the people were off the ship. Oh well,
we had to make the best of it so we had room service breakfast on our
balcony and enjoyed the sound of the rain for awhile. Then we went to
workout which was really not a good idea so soon after breakfast. We should
have worked out before we ate because it took everything I had to do 15
minutes on the machine because I was so sluggish. We sat in the mineral hot
tub in the center of the spa for awhile, then we did a sauna and a steam.
Clearly it was going to be a day for pure relaxation and doing as little as
possible.

Later that afternoon, we went up to the Solarium pool area and dozed on the
deck chairs. It was raining hard but we were under a covered spot. Brian
noticed the Solarium Bar was open so we got a Bloody Mary as we headed back
to our room. Brian decided the Bloody Mary didn't have enough alcohol so he
called room service. I didn't think they would deliver drinks to your room,
but they did. A girl came with a tray that held two very full vodka
martinis. She came in the room, knelt down and placed the tray on the
coffee table. We were extremely impressed that she did not spill a drop. I
would have had vodka all over the place. We got the cheese out of the
fridge that we had bought in Aruba the previous Friday when we were on the
Carnival Destiny, ate much of it and watched the movie, "The Mexican". It
was so funny, but it could have been because of the martinis. After the
movie when we were full of cheese and alcohol, we went back up to the
Solarium pool and sat in a hot tub.

The Adventure of the Seas left St. Thomas at 6pm and headed to San Juan.
The overall mood of everyone on the ship was glum. Many had never been to
St. Thomas and were very disappointed with the rainy day. We were feeling a
little glum because our vacation was almost over.
We went back to our cabin to get our gratuity envelopes ready for the staff
that provided such wonderful service. Unlike Carnival who now automatically
puts the tips on your sail and sign card, Royal Caribbean gives you the
option of putting the tips on your super charge card if you want. We like
to personally give each crew member their tip with a very verbal thank you
for all the hard work they did for us. We then located Teodore, our cabin
steward who did a fantastic job cleaning up after us and gave him his
envelope.

We went to the Farewell show before supper and Ken, the cruise director did
his best to put everyone in a good mood again. There was a comedian and a
balancing act that were part of the Welcome Aboard show that we had skipped
the first night. They were excellent. The ship was really rocking again
and it was incredibly amazing that the balancing guy didn't fall and break
his neck! He managed to crawl up on top of a ton of various objects he
placed on top of one another, including rolling cylinders and moving things
like that. I held my breath the entire time. We then went to supper,
handed out our tip envelopes and said good bye to Moses, Mustafa and Jasper.
Then we went to the casino for our last night of gambling. Brian won a
little over $70 on roulette while I lost about $25 on black jack. We were
ready to call it quits when we decided to play a Pink Panther dollar slot
machine. I had never played anything more than quarters so that my $20
lasts a little longer, but we decided to live a little since it was our last
night. We played about $10 and won $115! We cashed out, shopped a little
at the Promenade shops and went bar hopping again. Our bar tab by the way
was fairly extensive with the wide array of alcohol we consumed.

Finally, we decided we better get back to the room and pack. How depressing
of a thought that was because I did not want to think about getting off this
incredible ship in the morning. We had a really difficult time packing
because for one, we didn't want to and for another the rocking motion was
horrible. I actually got sick to my stomach for the first time. We managed
to get everything packed and out in the hall at 12:15am. We did not fall
asleep easily with the all the rocking the ship did on this last night.

12/16/01 ----- San Juan, Puerto Rico ------ Debarkation of the Adventure of
the Seas

Yesterday in St. Thomas, we went through immigration process while on the
ship. Everyone had to do this even if they did not get off of the ship in
St. Thomas because we were back in an United States port. But since we
didn't get off the ship, we did it at our leisure just before the deadline
and there wasn't any wait at all. It only took a couple of minutes and we
were happy to be done with this the day before we debarked.

The morning of debarking, we didn't have to report to a lounge at a certain
time and get off the ship when our color tag was called - like we had to on
all our previous Carnival cruises. All we had to do was to be out of our
room by 8:30 and we had a leisurely breakfast in the dining room since we
were staying in San Juan that day and in no hurry to get off the ship. Then
we walked around and decided to relax in the Lyric Theatre where they had
CNN on for awhile, then Animal Planet and the Travel Channel. They
announced airline flight numbers for people to know when to get off the
ship. I was catching up on my notes for this review when finally around
11:45, they announced that all remaining guests should debark at that time.
There were no lines of people waiting to get off and when we got into the
massive terminal, it was empty except for a few people and pieces of luggage
here and there, so ours was extremely easy to locate. We hired a porter to
load up our bags and take us to a taxi. He collected our customs card from
us and commented about how busy the place was an hour before. We got into a
taxi and headed to the El Convento Hotel because we were not flying back to
Anchorage until the next day.

We got to the hotel before check in time a little after noon, but our room
was ready. The El Convento Hotel was a small luxury hotel right across from
the San Juan Cathedral on Cristo Street in Old San Juan. For 250 years, it
served as a convent to the Carmelite Nuns. It is really old and slightly
musty, but restored very nicely. It is very comfortable and decorated with
Spanish antiques, yet had all the conveniences and amenities we could
possibly have wanted. We had a couple of beers and tried Puerto Rican style
pizza in a cafe downstairs and then spent a couple of hours in the hot tub
on the sun deck. It was very cloudy, but it did not rain on us. The clouds
were nice because we didn't have to worry about burning our still pale
arctic skin. We took a short nap and then headed to the lobby for
complementary wine and cheese that was being offered from 6pm - 7:30pm. We
called home to check on our dog whom we missed very much and he was doing
fine. We took a short walk around Old San Juan and down to the Governor's
mansion to see his Christmas decorations at night and headed back to the
hotel. We rented a bad movie but managed to stay awake to see the Adventure
of the Seas go by on its way back out to sea for its fifth official cruise.
Sniff - our vacation is over.

12/17/01 ------ American Airlines ----- Flight 1777 ----- San Juan to
Barrow Alaska

We checked out of the El Convento hotel at 7:00 and had a light
complementary breakfast there. The porter got us a taxi and loaded our bags
and we headed to the airport. The lines were massive and we were happy to
be flying first class thanks to travel awards. We like taking vacations and
cruising, but right now, we wish we didn't have to fly to get to these
destinations since our location is quite remote and the trip from San Juan
to Barrow took us 24 hours. We were definitely happy to be back home with
Merlin, our dog and to put and end to the transportational commute portion
of our vacation.

Final thoughts:

The worst complaint or more of an "irritation" - that we experienced on both
ships - was the population of the Spanish only speaking people on board.
The people from Puerto Rico received incredible bargains for these cruises
and brought whole families. It was one big party for them and many of these
families acted like they were the only ones on board. Everyone deserves to
have a good time, but it was very hard to move through or around large
groups of people as they congregated in walk through areas. They didn't
seem to care that they were always in the way of others, and
Leslie Watson’s Full Rating Summary