3. Costa Favolosa
My first cruise was only a good month ago with the MSC Fantasia so I don't have much to compare with. We booked the cruise on Costa Favolosa because it was pretty cheap and we had a good experience on MSC. We opted for the cheapest cabin without balcony. A few days before departure we got notice that they improved us to a balcony cabin without extra cost. Very nice! Embarkation was smooth, we were about the only people boarding at the time, but there was no real welcome. Our cabin was immediately ready tho so we started with unpacking our bags before proceeding to a bar. Service throughout the cruise was very slow with a lot of unfriendly personnel, especially at the bars. We had to wait up to 30 minutes to receive our drinks. After 1am it was only possible to get drinks in the disco since all the other bars closed. On one evening the disco had 2 barkeepers that couldn't keep up with the demand so waiting times even extended. Especially because 1 of the 2 was clearly incompetent and seemed to work in slow motion mode (not on purpose, she just couldn't do any better). A majority of the cruise we were waiting on drinks. We had the Più gusto drinking package which included most of the cocktails and most of the cheaper stronger drinks. Maybe the slow service is a way to keep the cost down on those packages. The food was pretty mediocre. The buffet was pretty limited and repetitive in style with long waiting lines, and people trying to ignore those waiting lines, at rush hour due to the fact the buffet was small as well. Compared to MSC where you had 6+ segments of the same food to spread the people out a bit, you have 2 (even smaller) segments on Costa. For dinner we opted for the second seating in the middle restaurant (9pm) but were instead placed in the back restaurant (9.15pm). Not really a big problem on itself but it turned out to be due to a lot of vibrations coming from the engines which made the dining experience very unpleasant. The food there was okay overall. I also had a problem with the fact that it is impossible to get food after the second dinner seating unless you opted to pay for a pizza or hamburger (till 1am). Especially for people that choose for the first dinner seating (6.15pm I believe) that is a very long time without included food. Doesn't feel very vacation like to me. Compared to MSC Fantasia the entertainment was a bit better. Better atmosphere, better live music and a better animation crew. There were some interactive shows with passengers in the grand bar that were kind of fun to watch. We saw 2 shows in the theater: 'Fire and Ice' which was very very good and another one which I can't remember the name of that wasn't. Starting from the evening the sea got pretty rough and there was a lot of wind. And oh boy did we feel that on the ship. According to the party I was with they never experienced that on any other ship except on Costa (twice) and they've done quite a few. I'm very glad this wasn't my first cruise experience but I'm also glad it is my last with Costa!

First and the Last

DavyD’s Full Rating Summary
Get Costa Favolosa price drops

Classic Balcony
Cabin BC 6281
It was a nice surprise that we've been upgraded to a balcony cabin. Cabin itself was very nice and clean. Our steward was friendly and attended to our needs immediately without a problem.
La Zarzuela Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins