3. Carnival Legend
We were first introduced to cruising aboard the P&O Pacific Jewel for a 3 night cruise out of Auckland, and both my wife, 6 year old daughter and myself loved every minute of that cruise, so 1 month later November 2017 went on the Carnival Legend for an 8 night cruise to New Caledonia. Well getting on the ship in Sydney was far superior to that of Auckland there was staff everywhere to help and getting on the ship was super easy! Unfortunately the same could not be said for the safety drill P&O was far less painful! We had to stand on the outside deck in direct sunlight for over 30 mins my 6 year old wanted to sit and so I sat with her only to be told to stand, P&O was done in a nice cool Casino room. Photo's anyone? they kept snapping them all the time! P&O just when we boarded, Carnival at dinner snap waking around ship snap, and the cost? between $18 and $30 each no package deal no digital copy just the 20th Century tech of paper! Like others have said very expensive alcohol drink prices, lucky for me I do not drink but a wine for my wife $11.50 P&O was just $8 Luckily the water was free and if from the restaurant free from chlorine which has a lot in it on the P&O ship. However not all is bad compared to the P&O Stewards and staff well there is no comparison, Carnival Legend Stewards were fantastic as was all the crew, after first day Our Stewards knew our names, and he and his helper had over 30 cabins to take care of! Every day they would leave a Towel animal either on our bed or if a bird or monkey hanging from roof, I feel sorry for these people they are worked hard every day for the whole cruise, please tip them even though its not required out of Australia/NZ. Food was great in the buffet however we never really liked the included fine dining, again the staff were great but the food was average to poor. Our room was small and cosy it was an inside cabin that I loved as it was really dark so much easier for me to sleep, we had a mini suite on the Jewel yet this room felt nicer. New Caledonia? Nothing new about this place especially Noumea what a dump! if you enjoy seeing 2 classes of people, the french and the native Noumea people, as well as 90% of buildings, fencing and walls covered in graffiti as well as tired worn down buildings then you will love this place, if not avoid! We did take the hop on hope off bus but our 2 hours there was more than enough! Went to Mc Donalds to get the free wifi but you had to buy a family box or $35 to get the free wifi lol. Our next port was canceled due to bad weather so went to Isle of pines which was far superior, But Australia beaches are still better as other than the beach there is not much else to do. There was a great onboard Carnival app that showed lots of info, however it was not perfect as if you want to chat to other family members in the same room anyone that wanted to chat had to pay $9 each and it only worked if the app was open at same time, no notifications if app closed. Oh and the internet packages it was super expensive $180 for 8 day cruise at dial up speed or up to $50 per day for maybe if lucky 2g speeds we never bought a package so can only guess at the speeds, but on the cruise app you could go to Carnival home page and that was dial up speeds One last thing I am from NZ and I have to say I was shocked in a good way at how friendly Australians are and how they really treated the crew almost everyone thanked the crew while being served and I mean "thank you very much, have a great day" and they were quick to say sorry if bumped into each other even if sometimes was my fault! Overall I did enjoy the cruise however we will likely do a cruise around Australian/NZ ports next time as 8 days on a small ship like the Legend is a little to long....

A bit to long on this smaller sized ship

Carnival Legend Cruise Review by greggy1968

Ages 3 to 6
Get Carnival Legend price drops

Interior
Cabin 4C 6291
A little dated, good for shorter cruises, a little small for 3+ people I think I should have been a bat as I love the dark inside cabin feel
Empress Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins