3. Carnival Spirit
We chose this cruise as a fun and easy way to go to the Melbourne Cup. It was but the ship itself is awful. When I first stepped onto this ship all I could smell was deep fat frying. Our friends that we were travelling with also mentioned the same thing, unprompted by us. It's not a good start. All I could see when we stepped on was people getting plastered at the "Pub". Also not a good look. Maybe because it was a Melbourne Cup cruise... The good things: lamb cutlets/chops at Nouveau were the best I've ever eaten, the Melbourne Cup transfers to and from Flemington were impeccably organised. It's downhill after that. Food was very average. Edible but nothing special. Drinks were restaurant prices and average tasting. We had a glass of sparkling wine one night that tasted like eucalyptus juice! There was also a bit of substitution going on. Part of our package was a bottle of Veuve Cliquot. It was substituted with a cheaper champagne. Veuve was available as it was on the restaurant wine list. As we had guests to the cabin for drinks we didn't make a fuss - but it was remembered. This cabin has lots of space and storage. Two people can fit in the bathroom at one time and it has...double sinks! The decor is hideous but I understand that a refit is on the cards so let's hope they do something tasteful. It really does look like a Las Vegas Casino from the old days. The common complaint about the stairs is true. However they were rarely used and only in port. I think they were not too much of a problem. I wouldn't travel on this ship again.

Floating RSL club

Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by Punkyoz

• Sail Date: November 2017
  • Destination: South Pacific
  • Cabin Type: Junior Suite

I wouldn't travel on this ship again.
Punkyoz’s Full Rating Summary