3. Royal Princess
It has been awhile since we cruised with Princess and found that standards have dropped considerably! The choice of food is not as good, previously steak was a regular on the menu along with the nightly choices but now it's has been replaced with a burger! On offer for desserts was the alternative of cheese which consisted of dull, flavorless cheese and no biscuits! I had really been looking forward to the evening meals but instead of being unable to decide what to eat because of the choice it was more a case of choosing a dish for the sake of something to eat. Nothing on the menu got your taste buds going except on the second to last night when there was beef wellington, lobster tails and another dish I really cant remember. It was almost as though they suddenly realised they had found food they had forgotten about and it had to be used. The following night it was back to the same boring choices. As soon as I sat down the menu was thrust in my face, and the emphasis seemed to be more on "get them fed and get them out" attitude. Desserts mediocre, nothing exceptional. The staterooms (we had a balcony) were tired looking, shower curtain was badly stained brown at the bottom, our balcony seemed to be the only one that constantly had a pool of water in the middle of the floor which was never cleaned up and therefore almost made it unusable. This had obviously been going on for some time as the carpet just inside the door was dirty where previous passengers had walked in the collected water and then back into the stateroom showing obvious signs of transit. From boarding the ship the handrail and the inside of the glass panels on the balcony together with the table and chairs were encrusted with salt, this was the same condition when we disembarked after 15 days. On the whole the bars and serving staff were acceptable with 2 particular exceptions. The first being staff in the Piazza bar. After requesting coffee I was told, "No, go to the 24hour coffee bar, we don't service it here" (I think it was called the International). This was followed up by the head barman (I think) shouting to us "go next door, if you want coffee" We felt that we had made the mistake only to find that all bars serve coffee, a fact which was confirmed by the Customer Service Desk when we complained. We did lodge a formal complaint to which apologies were offered. The other exception being a server in the International Cafe who had a constant sullen look and attitude, almost as though he begrudged serving you. I did not complain as it should have been fairly obvious to anyone that saw him. I chose Princess cruises because I wanted good food, good entertainment and a stateroom befitting Princess cruises, unfortunately I feel let down. As mentioned earlier I feel standards have been lowered, I would therefore be looking further afield for my next cruise where standards are at an acceptable level.

Not what it used to be!