3. Celebrity Millennium
We chose this for the destination ports. This was our first trip with Celebrity but not our first cruise. The logistical arrangements were virtually flawless. Flights, transfers, pre and post cruise hotels very good, shore excursions mostly excellent, staff and officers on board very good and the entertainment was varied and impressive (mostly). The good;- . Cabin nice and roomy considering it was in the lower price range. The room steward, Lydia, was friendly and did a very good job. I heard some comment that the ship was "tired" but it looked ok to me. The facilities were good. We used the gym, the sports deck, the Cosmos Lounge (during the day), the Thalassotherapy area and the Ocean view Café for all meals. We did not use any of the other restaurants - and we didn't really use any bars as we didn't drink alcohol. The Captain was visible and kept us all informed regarding the weather and route. We had a typhoon on route, and the captain devised a revised schedule which put us a day behind but kept the ports of call intact - and at all times the decisions, and the reasons for them, were clearly explained and communicated (and seemed eminently logical and sensible). The evening entertainment in the celebrity theatre was first class (mostly - just one black spot - see below). The variety of the shows and performers was fantastic - and when artistes were seen off stage around the boat they were approachable and chatty. The food was good (just one bad point - see below) but we confirmed ourselves to the Ocean view café (due to my gluten issue - which I explain more below). The range of food on offer was good and varied and included some local themed meals. The shore excursions were good and I have no complaints about the variety of these or the assistance we received from time to time by the shore excursions team. One minor quibble - see below. The bad;- The entertainment was excellent throughout - we had singers, a trapeze act, a concert pianist, a Stevie Wonder tribute act, a modern violinist and an excellent illusionist. The resident troupe of singers and dancers were very strong and put on three great shows. The black spot was a truly awful "action comedian" called Steve Carte. he purported to be a juggler but dropped so much I would not have been much worse - and his humour was simply not funny and included jokes taken from episodes of Only Fools and Horses - so that must mean they are at least 20 years old. I did think it may be just lost in translation (we are English and American humour passes us by) but there was very little reaction from the audience so I think it must just have been a bad act. Food was generally good - however I am wheat intolerant so I stick to a gluten free diet. We had Celebrity Select anytime dining - but the range of suitable food on the menu in the Metropolitan Restaurant was so limited that I was finding I didn't fancy it - so we ate constantly in the Ocean view cafe. However it wasn't clear what was gluten free in there so for the first few days we were guessing and hoping for the best (and when we asked the catering staff didn't seem to have much idea). Then the dishes began to be labelled indicating which were gluten free, vegetarian and so on. I think perhaps someone may have complained? Anyway, once this had been labelled life became much easier and there was a good range of stuff available which I could eat - and it was good stuff. There was a "Gluten free" station - but that only ever had puddings - gluten free mains were dotted about with "normal" food - so it was a case of lapping to see what was there. I would have been easier for me had the gluten free fayre been clustered in one station - and may have reduced some of the crowding in the café (which became a bit tiresome at times as people milled and dithered about). The excursions were good and well organised. On occasion however the disembarkation for this (where we were all gathered in the celebrity theatre waiting to be called) was a little tiresome and on one occasion we waited for about an hour (although to be fair I cant really see how else this could be sensibly managed). The travel arrangements were good - however one minor gripe was at the very end of the holiday where we were booked into a hotel after disembarkation awaiting our transfer to the airport. the hotel room had to be vacated by 6pm, but the transfer was not scheduled until 8.15pm - so we had to hang around with cases in the lobby of the hotel for over two hours with suitcases. There were a lot of Brits booked on a 23.15pm flight - and the hotel lobby had only about 6 seats - so it was a long wait. There was an outbreak of disease on board and may went down with bad stomachs. There was cleaning and disinfecting on an industrial scale towards the end of the trip and everything became a bit sticky to the touch. We religiously washed our hands as recommended throughout - but we saw many who did not. We were both ill but managed our own illness responsibly with drugs we had brought with us. There was messaging in both English and Spanish regarding cleanliness - I would suggest that this should perhaps also be given in French - as we saw a number of French speakers not taking care of hygiene - although I am not suggesting they were the cause. On the French point, we had a number of excursions where French speakers were present - but the trips were in English. As a consequence the French tended to talk loudly over the guides having their own conversations between themselves - thus rather spoiling it for others (and partly as some of the guides English was a little difficult to tune into). I wonder if French based versions of some of the trips could be considered - or at least a disclaimer making it clear that French will not be catered for on the excursions? . Overall we enjoyed the trip and would certainly use Celebrity again (but we pick our trips based on ports of call rather than brand).

Excellent cruise considering the weather difficulty and the infection on board

Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by grahamclowes04

grahamclowes04’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Millennium price drops

Ocean View 4
Cabin 04 2010
Good sized cabin with large window. Excellently looked after by the stweard - Lydia, whio was cheerful and efficient.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins