3. Adventure of the Seas
We booked this cruise last June and wasn't sure if we were going to still go due to the changing of the flights and hotels in San Juan after Maria, but glad we did. The ship had one of the best designs I have seen (have been on over 10 cruises with over 5 different cruise lines) - with the promenade down the middle of the 5th floor with shops and bars on either side making you feel like you were on a street somewhere. Although it carried 3000+ guests plus staff, you rarely felt that way - except at the pool on the one day at sea. The rooms and balconies were on the smaller side but there was plenty of storage space for 2-3 people. We had interconnecting cabins which were wonderful. I was disappointed that the balconies could not connect as they did on the Royal Princess that we had just taken to Europe. The balconies were private but were surrounded by metal on all sides, giving more of an enclosed feeling.. the table and two chairs barely fit in the area provided; however, we did take advantage of the view! We specifically booked this ship for the itinerary and the ice skating rink. My 13 YO daughter is a figure skater and was so impressed with the ice skating show as the skaters all come with exceptional credentials. She skated the first public ice session, but since most were beginners and you had to wear helmets, we decided to book private lessons instead. Martin was our instructor twice and he was excellent. He helped her on two of her double jumps and was very pleasant and funny about it, giving her great advice... and it was only $75 ($25 for the rink and $50 for the instructor) for an hour. Her regular coach charges $50 for a 1/2 hour plus ice time... so it was a great deal. The food was very good in the main dining room, especially for breakfast where they had wait service and an upscale buffet, but I would skip the Chops Grille. It was far from worth it for the price unless you have it as a promotion. I have been to the specialty restaurants on many ships and although our family members seemed to like the filet mignon, the lamb chops were less than impressive. And then they wanted to charge more for lobster at the restaurant ($20-25 + 18% tip), which was criminal after paying $35 + 18% tip for the restaurant. In addition, the waiter asked for a further tip above the 18%, explaining that the 18% was given to the kitchen so any additional would just go to him. I honestly felt pressured to give him extra, and luckily I did since I saw him the next day getting off the boat at St. Thomas. I know they work hard, but I regret going to the specialty restaurant as the food the next night in the main dining room (lamb chops) was actually better and would have saved me $200+. You also have the option of adding lobster or filet mignon in the main dining room - but be careful about getting the lobster. My father got the 1-1/4-1/12 lb lobster for the extra $31 + 18% tip and it barely looked like one pound. The claws had been taken out for him, but only the large piece was included and then remains of the body was split in half. It just didn't seem to be much meat. The itinerary was excellent, visiting many beautiful islands including Barbados, St. Kitts and St Lucia. We did the dolphin swim in St Kitts independently- but it was way over crowded with guests from the ship. We choose 10am since we were told that would be the least crowded and the opposite was true- the ship was also booked for the same time, while 12, 1 and 2pm were empty. I wish that the Dolphin Discovery place had told us that! So double check against the cruise offerings. We used Cosol Tours for St. Lucia and it was a fantastic trip with stops at the beach between the Pitons, the drive-in volcano, mud baths and waterfall. We started ahead of our scheduled 9:30am time and ended far later then the 5-6 hours.. it was more like 7 hours (9-4), but we got back in plenty of time before the boat left. Free drinks and island food was included- just amazing! Definitely worth the $75pp. St. Thomas was the last stop and was substituted for St. Maarten due to the damage from the hurricanes. I know that many were disappointed since St. Thomas is on almost every itinerary and guests were anxious to go to a different island, but RC made up for it. We went to Magens Bay and you could see the damage to the power/telephone lines and houses along the way and there was little shade at the beach from the damaged trees. However, this was the day of the re-opening and brand new chairs and umbrellas were delivered, to our delight. As an added surprise, RC footed the bill for lunch (burgers, hotdogs, chicken, sandwiches, drinks) and had entertainers (dancers and musicians). It was a beautiful day with a few showers that no one seemed to mind. Most of the shops downtown and by the dock had also reopened. I would definitely recommend this cruise and ship. Even though it is older and showing some of it's age, the crew was really great and did whatever they could to make the trip enjoyable.

Very impressive cruise considering damage from hurricane Irma and Maria