3. MSC Divina
Let me start by saying that this is the 6th cruise that I've been on in the last 10 years, across several different cruise lines, so I feel my expectations are pretty reasonable overall. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed in the food and service on this cruise. Ship The ship itself is beautiful - in addition to all the 'Bling' with the crystal staircases, I really liked the floor to ceiling windows in the buffet dining areas. Cabin Our cabin was an "ocean view' cabin (port hole, no balcony) and I was very happy with the size and amount of storage in the cabin. One minor annoyance was the crew washing down the outside of the porthole at 1:00 am on two different nights, which woke me up. Dining This was the worst part of the cruise. We were told to expect smaller portions due to the European dining styles vs US dining, and that would be fine with me. The problems were in other areas. Main Dining room - the first night, it took 2.5 hours to complete our meal. It was total chaos. The timing improved somewhat after that, but always tended toward the slow side, with people at the same table receiving portions of their meals at different times. I've also never seen an upcharge for shrimp cocktail or other entrees in the main dining room before this trip, but it was there every night. Also, the main dining room was only open for dinner, no breakfast or lunch. Buffet - So if not happy with the main dining room, eat at the buffet right? The problem is that the buffet served the exact same food every day, with 2 or 3 exceptions. By the end of the trip I was craving something different. Pizza restaurant - we did have an excellent pizza here, but with a small upcharge. Steak house - we had a great meal here, but the service was very slow. Sports bar - the burger was good here, as was the mozzarella sticks, but the reuben sandwich is served with literally 2 onion rings and a tablespoon of coleslaw. Several of us ordered this and it was they all came out this way. Entertainment - saw 2 shows and they were good, but only lasted about 30 minutes each. Service This was the other area of major disappointment. We were very often treated rudely by the staff. Part of this I can accept as language barrier type issues, and that would be ok, but other times, before we could even ask our question, or place our order, we were told "we are closed", or "No" with no alternatives being offered. Each day when they cleaned our cabin, something was missed, either wash cloths, pool towels, etc. Bar service started out shaky, but did improve over the course of the week. Ports and Shore Excursions Our itinerary changed significantly due to hurricane damage to our original destinations, but that is no fault of MSC. I was very happy with the excursions that we did book through the ship. Final thoughts - MSC has a long way to go if they want to break into the US market. There were a lot of problems that could have been overlooked, but by the end of the week I felt so frustrated with the service and attitude of the staff that other problems just added to my overall negative impression. I will never take another MSC cruise.

Beautiful ship can't make up for bad food and horrible service

MSC Divina Cruise Review by erieislands

• Sail Date: October 2017
  • Destination: Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Bella Oceanview Stateroom

Ship

Steak house - we had a great meal here, but the service was very slow.

Bar service started out shaky, but did improve over the course of the week.

Ports and Shore Excursions