3. Celebrity Eclipse
We (my 18 year old son and I) went on the celebrity eclipse canaries cruise on 28/9/17 from Southhampton. Embarking was very well organised and we were soon heading up to the main cafe type self service oceanview cafe for lunch.( I booked with Visioncruise and I knew from watching that John Cooper chap on TV that the law of the sea was to attend the buffet on embarking!) Huge selection of very good food with some healthy options! The cabins were soon ready in the early afternoon and our luggage arrived soon after. We booked an inside one on the grounds we were not aiming to spend much time there. The other thing is that they are far cheaper than an ocean view one. I think partly the cheap price is due to the fact they do not include the drinks package with the inside cabins but do on any other grade. As we do not drink alcohol the drinks package was superfluous. They do have some non alcoholic drinks packages but fruit juices, a non alcoholic cocktail fruit mix,water,tea,coffee are all complimentary in the ocean view cafe anyway. It is open for drinks 24hrs, and for food most of the time. The cabin was very comfortable with a good amount of space and nice ensuite. I liked the room service breakfast (complimentary) too. Some guests just used it for coffee and fruit juice in the cabin and then went up to the oceanview cafe or main restaurant for their extensive choices. We did book about 4 meals in the speciality restaurants and they were very good but the complimentary main dining room was also excellent with lots of choice and very good staff. Certainly the complimentary moonlight sonata dining room was my favourite for lunch! The deck pool area was very good in the sunshine. Sometimes though all the loungers got reserved by people not actually there for extended periods. They state that the pool staff will remove items left for this and they can then be reclaimed. However they do not actually do this so a lot of reserved loungers could be a problem on very sunny days at sea. If loungers were not reserved they would probably have enough of them for everyone. I liked some of the daytime talks in the theatre about all sorts of interesting subjects. The evening shows were great fun too. Jayne Curry, a singer/comedienne with the Celebrity orchestra as backing, was my favourite but the trapeze artists were amazing. We went on a Celebrity excursion to Santiago to Compostella which was very well organised and also to Mount Teide in Tenereife. We went about by ourselves in Lisbon and Madeira which was very easy as the ship parks very close to the centres. In Madeira we hailed a taxi to get to the cable car and the driver offered us 3 hours round Madeira for 70 euros. We had a wonderful tour of all the vantage points, and a fishermans village and a church where the last emperor of Austria was "buried" - well the coffin was still visible in a side chapel. The driver took us to the sledge ride we wanted to go on and waited for us at the bottom.Speaking to experienced cruisers it is often good to negotiate a private tour with a local taxi once you have stepped off the ship. Be sure to leave plenty of time to get back on the ship though!. Internet access on ship is very expensive but the ports are all equipped with free Wi FI in various places like the cruise terminals. I am very prone to motion sickness and I did feel sick on the first full day at sea crossing the Bay of Biscay - apparently we caught the end of Hurricane Maria. Thereafter I had no problem at all during the rest of the cruise. The stabilisers seemed a lot better that when I last went on a cruise 25 years ago. Spa treatments are expensive on ship even with their discounts but nice for an occasional treat - I had 2 x 50 mins massages with a very expert practitioner and my joints and muscles felt a lot better. Captain Leo was great fun. His initial announcement as the "voice from above" in the navigation deck was that we would be leaving Southhampton when he had found the ignition keys! He obviously enjoyed meeting the guests and waving us off on our excursions in port with his officers. He did a very interesting talk too on how the ship worked and navigation etc.with plenty of time for questions. Of course the conversation got round to the Costa Concordia. I asked if it was true (I've seen the film Titanic) that if the ship was sinking that he the Captain would be the last off the ship? He said " Madam, you are very optimistic!". He did add, I hasten to say, that yes the captain was responsible for the evacuation so would be on ship till completed. All in all an excellent Holiday. I am going to book another with Celebrity.

Autumn cruise to the Canaries

Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by clairehoskins

• Sail Date: September 2017
  • Destination: Canary Islands
  • Cabin Type: Inside Stateroom

All in all an excellent Holiday. I am going to book another with Celebrity.
clairehoskins’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Eclipse price drops

Inside Stateroom
Cabin 09 9368
We asked for twin bed cabin make up and both beds were very comfortable.
Did not bother much with the in room entertainment. Controls were a bit slow.

plenty of room for clothes and nice ensuite facilities.

Nice desk and chairs and liked breakfast in the room in the morning. Efficient and pleasant steward-Raffaello.
Penthouse Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins