Emerald Dawn Cruise Review

Excellent way to see Europe

Emerald Dawn Cruise Review by dustycat14

• Sail Date: Oct 2017
  • Destination: Europe River

I had never been on a riverboat cruise so picked this one simply through online research and because it stopped at the places I wished to see.

The excursions and visits to castles, palaces, abbeys, churches and historic cities and towns were all wonderful - I’m sure I will never be there again, so it was a very compact and educational 2weeks. Most of the guides were very good. Some, however, dwelt on an excessive amount of facts which were quickly forgotten, too numerous to remember.

I had some difficulty adjusting to and accepting the limitations of the riverboat itself. This was partly due to the fact that I had previously taken so many ocean cruises on some very large ships. We had a one bedroom suite which gave us more room than most of the passengers. The room needed more lighting esp. for a vanity. Women are still not considered in most hotels, ships etc.

I disliked the open seating at the dining hall. If you did not get there promptly it was not always possible to find seating for all of your party together. Breakfast and lunch times were good re food choices, but the evening meal left much to be desired. Being exposed to European dishes is fine but not every night with the same selection of foods. I found it impossible to eat much of the food offered. A lot of it simply was too spicy or strange for me.

When not on an excursion there was virtually nothing to do on board the boat. The lounge was too small to accommodate everyone, the pool was a joke and the library consisted of a handful of books.

dustycat14's Full Rating Summary

Cabin One bedroom suite 307

The size was great, the closet large, and the bathroom very well laid out with a large shower. It was actually better than I have experienced on larger ships. The lighting was inadequate for a vanity. Women need to be considered more when planning these rooms. We need a small desk with a chair, good lighting and electric plugs for hairdryers and curling irons. Leaning over a sink in the bathroom is not acceptable. Why are plugs supplied for men’s shavers and not women’s hairdryers and curling irons? The large window that lowered to create a balcony was great.

Wurzburg

We found this town to be very interesting re buildings.

Nuremberg

This is a beautiful,city. We loved walking around the city centre and seeing all of the historic places such as where Hitler made his speeches.

Walking Tour

Very interesting.

View All 218 Walking Tour Reviews
Bratislava

We did a walking tour and a little shopping on our own.

City Tour

Enjoyed seeing the city, mostly by bus, with a short walking time included.

View All 353 City Tour Reviews