• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Excursions

Norwegian Star Review

Editor Rating
3 Awards

Great itinerary, but average cruise.

Review for Norwegian Star to the Mediterranean
travelnewbie63
10+ Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Oct 2017
Cabin: Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window

I chose this cruise mainly because of Venice and Greece, and we were not disappointed with the ports. We were in Venice 2 days before the cruise so we can explore the city. It was beautiful and romantic. We did a lot of walking, and it was wonderful. Definitely a place to go back to for longer stay.

The embarkation was terrible. We got to the cruise terminal at noon, and was told to come back at 3 pm, because the ship has not docked due to the fog. My husband stayed in the terminal and waited, while I went back to to Venice for more exploration. I was back at the cruise terminal at 3, and there were lots of people. Finally, at about 5:30 something started to happened, and it was a mess. People were cutting in lines, lying about loosing their embarkation number, I was surprise no fights broke out! They would not accept Latitude members for priority registration. It was not good, many angry cruisers, myself included.

The ship was average. Our cabin was fine, but the location was horrible. It is next to the crew members only entrance/exit. There were lots of foot traffic from the crew and the noise, it was bad, all hours of the day and night. The food at the Market Cafe was average. We can tell it has gone down and selection was limited. The seating was bad, the tables and chairs were too close to each other, so if you want to get to the window seat, you have to ask the person in the first seat to scoop in or they have to get up. I had some unhappy looks from those cruisers. The dining room was fine, the selection was average. Cagney's Steakhouse was not as good as our last cruise-March 2017. Le Bistro was good. La Cucina Italian Restaurant was okay, the pizza didn't have much flavor. We didn't purchase any shore excursion from NCL. The entertainment was good. We enjoyed the Legends Live and Tenors of Rock. They were entertaining. The activities were a bit costly. It seems there are more activities that cost extra money then before. I remembered there were more fun "to do" then boring thing like Chinese herbs, foot arches, how to look younger...etc The crew is always friendly and helpful.

Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window

Cabin OB

I chose this cabin because it was at the end of the hall way, thinking it would be less foot traffic and noise, well big mistake. Across from our cabin is a door way for ALL the crew members to go in and out. I don't know what's behind there, but I can hear conversations, all kind of noises all the time, even when we were sleeping. This is NOT a good cabin to get.

Port Reviews

Venice

Beautiful city to walk around and get lost in.

Corfu

Beautiful old city to visit.

Kotor

Didn't see much, since we got there late and have only 2 hours of daylight.

Santorini

We took the boat from Fira to Oia, it includes a bus ride back to Fira, not back for 15 Euro/pp. I would recommend taking the cable car down to the dock than walking down the path. It is just too smelly and dirty-donkey donks!!

Mykonos

Beautiful port, walked and explored by myself.

Dubrovnik

We did an independent tour with 2 fellow cruisers with a tour guide at the port. She was reasonable and did a good tour of the city and surrounding area.

Find a Norwegian Star Cruise from $419