3. MSC Divina
- Intro My wife and I had never gone on a cruise together, I had gone on one years ago but had a pretty negative experience due to motion sickness/vertigo, we were looking to give it a shot because cruising has some advantages vs our previous vacations (we have been going to all inclusive resorts the past few years and generally, our experiences will be graded versus that as we have no other cruises to compare to). - Ship 4/5 The public areas of MSC divina were very nice and we thought the ship was overall well laid out and easy to get around. Our only pain point was seating in the buffet which was more suited to larger parties, very few small tables for couples. All of the bars looked upscale and had comfortable seating. There were a few other negatives which we will address below. - Cabin 4/5 This is the only area where I would grade vs other ships as opposed to vs a resort. We actually liked our room quite a bit. I thought it was well laid out, stylishly decorated and relatively comfortable. I deducted points for the smallish TV and uncomfortable bed. We have an extremely comfortable bed at home and can generally tell the quality of a hotel/resort by the comfort of the beds. This one was decidedly meh. - Dining 2/5 If it weren't for the desserts, I'd give this a 1. To start with the positives, the dessert options in the buffet are amazing and flavorful, easily better than anything we had at any of the resorts we've stayed at. That's where the positives end. Most of the dishes in the black crab were decent but the buffet was mostly pizza and chaos and nothing was particularly appealing. We ate a large volume of food on this cruise and aside from the desserts, I can't remember anything worth writing about. - Entertainment 1/5 Apart from shore excursions and the nightly shows (more on that later) there really is very little to do on the ship. I'm sure there were activities, but nothing we really wanted to do. Now there isn't much of anything at the resorts we've stayed at, but that is generally touted as a reason to go on cruises, so for it to be so lackluster was disappointing. We did attend the Michael Jackson show, it was just ok and we left early. I would have liked more things, more variety and maybe first run movies in the theater during the day. - Service 2/5 Now enough staff for too many people is the best description I can use. Service everywhere was polite but slow. Long waits for drinks at bars & restaurants. The cleaning staff however, is amazing. We frequently commented on the cleaning ninjas who would come through our room, I swear 2-3x a day. - Ports & excursions 2/5 This might have been different on our original itinerary which was changed due to the hurricane. Jamaica had nothing outside the port aside from getting gouged for cab rides to take you to similarly over-priced shopping. Grand Caymen required a tender service to get to more overpriced shopping. Costa Maya was basically a less nice touristy cozumel which more chain touristy shopping. Nassau, in my opinion, was the only thing saving the itinerary and my favorite stop on the cruise. We probably will not do another carribean cruise in the near future as most destinations are virtually identical. We did do a "swim with dolphins" excursion in Grand Caymen, which I think was almost $150 per person. Excursions are SUPER expensive and generally not worth it vs a resort. That might be different in an area with more things of personal interest (say the mediterranean). Summary So, as you can probably tell by the individual ratings, we will not be cruising with MSC in the future. If I had it to do over, I probably would have paid the extra $600 for the royal carribean cruise. However, I wanted to see if my wife and I actually liked cruising and the answer is kinda. We liked being able to see multiple locations on a single vacation, and I'd enjoy it if there was more to do on the ship and better entertainment, but in every other way, we will likely stick to all inclusive resorts.

It was cheap, that's the best I can say. . .

MSC Divina Cruise Review by Bfish36