3. Harmony of the Seas
We have been cruising with Royal Caribbean for 17 years now, our first cruise being on Voyager of the Seas in 2000. We have always been very impressed with everything Royal Caribbean has been able to achieve and offer on their cruise ships, that is until our recent cruise on Harmony of the Seas. There are just so many things wrong with this ship and our cruise ended in a huge disappointment for us. Pre-cruise customer service is about non existent – I e-mailed Royal Caribbean (RC) on 20 September 2017 about our concerns regarding our cabin allocation (yes, they put you where they want, no choice here). We are a middle-aged couple and having quiet accommodation is key for our enjoyment of any cruise. But in all their wisdom RC decided to put us right beside the elevators, usually one of the noisiest spots due to all the pedestrian traffic, that in spite of them requesting our ages at booking time. I received an e-mail response exactly 9 days later, unapologetic informing me that the cruise leaves tomorrow (30 September) and to make a cabin change is completely impossible at this late stage. Wow! Our second big disappointment was our cabin – and I am referring to this as a cabin as there is nothing stately about it. We took possession at 13:00, exactly the time that was continually announced via the intercom system, and posted very clearly on the door leading to the passageways. Our cabin looked ready for occupation, with everything like soaps, towels, etc. in place, but on a second look, we were horrified! The cabin was very dirty, hairs and dust in multiple locations, dirty finger marks on the walls, stained and dirty carpet, excrement spots above the toilet, toothpaste on the back splash above the sink, and too many others to mention here. There was even a used floss stick lying on the nightstand. In addition, when putting on my shoes one morning, I caught a movement from the corner of my eye; I saw it go under the bed, and after about 10 minutes of hunting and turning the beds upside down, I found it; a huge COCKROACH! Thirdly, we found out to our dismay that this is now a party boat! Any peace and quiet on the deck, no; sitting in central park and expecting to enjoy the rustling sounds of the fresh ocean breeze through the trees, not at all, as the aneurism-inducing loud music spilled down from the deck, shattering the serenity; going into the cabin for a quiet nap, no go, as the music penetrates through the sealed window. Going for a peaceful evening in the hot tub in the “adult-only” solarium, no way, as there are usually some band/music activities that is dreadfully disturbing. One evening we tried the hot tub excursion again, only to find 5 of the 7 hot tubs closed (the usual case) for no apparent reason, and the other two filled with noisy, dancing and drinking passengers (if you are drinking and dancing in a hot tub, you are missing the point of a hot tub completely). I was lucky enough to be able to use a hot tub only one evening undisturbed, after navigating my way through the empty glasses and alcohol containers littered like a sea all around the tub. The solarium area is designated as “adult only”, with children below 16 years of age not allowed, but every day we saw multiple children in this area, even unattended. We observed everything, from dishes not washed clean and filthy dirty walls in the Grand Dinning Room, tears in the seats, a broken tap in one of the washrooms running for days, and plenty of the transparent covers in the roof of the the solarium torn and missing. Maintenance is clearly no priority on this ship, which is in very stark contrast with our experience on Allure of the Seas a few years ago, where everything was absolutely perfect. Sadly, the demographics of the type of passengers RC is trying to attract to this ship has shifted from what we have experienced on their other ships in the past, and if you are a respectable person, middle-aged, or a senior, you will most likely not enjoy cruising on this ship at all. But if you like filthy cabins with biological material from the previous occupants littered everywhere, hunting the occasional cockroach, nerve-wracking music and noise, partying and drinking people all over and dirty dinning areas, you are going to absolutely love this ship. It is time for us to move to another cruise company that values the experience of their passengers and appreciates their loyalty, rather than focus on profit, as we have seen RC now does. The sad thing is, for every loyal customer RC loses, there is a long line of morons waiting to take that place. If you are Allured for a cruise on this ship, expecting an Oasis, you will likely find no Harmony, and realize that cruising with RC is not always a Symphony. We bid you farewell Royal Caribbean!

Huge Disappointment!!