3. Volendam
I have had my eye on this cruise for some time. Actually we booked the Yokohama to Vancouver this spring, but had to cancel. So now we did the Vancouver-Yokohama-Shanghai cruise. It was a pleasant experience. The Volendam is a nice ship, not too big, with an excellent crew. The information from the bridge was good and the presentation by the two 3rd officers avout the things they do were excellent. You can't book the weather, and this cruise lacked badly in sunshine. Lots of fog and clouded skies, Japan rained. An exception, Glacier Bay on a sunny Sunday! When we booked we were supposed ro visit Korea after Japan. Some polilitical issues forced the dompany to change the itinary, no Korea, more Japan, which was fine with me as I'm a Japan fan. Japa, Hokkaido brought us some nice autumn colors and cranes. From Osaka we visited the Takarazuka theater, by train and as usual the people helped us to get tickets and the right train. Everybody will help you. The excursion department was well organised. Chaos was avoided. About dining, we dined some evenings in Pinnacle and Canaletto restaurants. We used the Dining room but occasionally. Most evenings we dined at the Lido. The atmosfeer there was cosy, of course you get your own food but the interaction with the mostly Indonesian crew was very pleasant. It felt very much like Terrace Cafe on Oceania. Management did good thing there! Our overall feeling was that this holiday was excellent. After the lightshow in Shanghai it was tije to go home.

Round the world in 30 days.

Volendam Cruise Review by dorus

• Sail Date: September 2017
  • Destination: Transpacific
  • Cabin Type: Vista Suite with Verandah

I'm a Japan fan. Japa, Hokkaido brought us some nice autumn colors and cranes.

The excursion department was well organised. Chaos was avoided.

dorus’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Volendam price drops

Vista Suite with Verandah
Cabin A 6146
Large cabin with lots of space for our clothes and other stuff. Balcony had enough room for 2 persons. Funny, the floor was not teak as you expect, but some funny triplex. Maybe just a
temporary thing.
Bathroom with tub(why). No separate douche cabin but in the bath(which I hate, and not safe when the ship behaves like a ship).
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins