Princes cruise - Diamond Princess - Japan.
Nice spacious outside cabin as booked near the mid ships. We were a day+half late boarding due to Typhoon 18 and the cruise has been cut short because of that. However we are still going to Korsakov but have now discovered that we cannot go ashore unless on an organised trip. Not what it said on the Princess website. In addition we appear to be getting nothing for the 6 daylight hours delay boarding, and we were due our drinks and gratuities refunds. Also our shareholder on board spend has disappeared.
Through to morning of departure continued to chase refunds and on board credits all week. Yesterday my wife spoke to customer services again as the refunds had appeared but still not the shareholder $100. They said it was there but not appearing on our printouts, they would manually input which they did but it was marked non-refundable. However the Adviser told us that it would be because it does not appear in the non-refundable total at the end.
It has been a good cruise and we met some great and had good service and meals, but the negative feedback is:
1) Embarkation check-in nightmare. From seated area to 45 min standing queue, older people having to get chairs and in the very warm temps not a glass of water or cold towel provided. Complaints were voiced but fell on deaf ears. Customer Services Director Maarit Aartoaho was in attendance but chose to ignore the crisis and complaints.
2) Delayed departure to Tues. we should have boarded at 12noon but eventually got to our cabin at 17:50. No reimbursement for the second day lost hours from the drinks package.
3) Changed itinerary. Why oh why did the drop Kushiro and scenic cruising in favour of Korsakov in Russia? Firstly we were not allowed ashore despite what we had been told. Everyone who went ashore on the official trips said it was just a working town, nothing to see, complete waste of time and money. This was supposed to be a Japanese cruise not Russian so Korsakov but should have been dropped first.
4) Entertainment. Never been on a cruise where the entertainment has been so poor. Not a single comedian or comedy game or decent entertainer. Not sure if the programme was designed purely for the Japanese but struggle as we did we could find almost nothing that suited us other than the odd quiz. Poor.
5) As I write this review now 5 weeks after the cruise I've not had any communication or payment from Princes Cruises for the US$420 they owe me from my Stateroom Account. Quite disgraceful behaviour.
Our cabin was on deck 111 and midships which is what we prefer so we can use the steps up and down to get where we want. As expected our balcony cabin was clean and well presented and ideal for our needs. Having sailed Princes before we knew what to expect and it met our expected high standards.