• Newsletter

10+ Cruises • Age 60s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Oct 2017
Cabin: Inside

First the good. The breakfast buffet was the best I've ever encountered on any cruise line. All food was hot, not just lukewarm. Eggs Benedict was made to order, not left on the buffet line with congealed hollandaise sauce over cold eggs. Embarkation and disembarkation were smooth and quick. Other than a long delay in Quebec when the gangplank malfunctioned, port disembarkations were relatively fast. Music in the bars was pretty good.

Now the bad. I've never paid much attention to the ship itself and don't usually notice small things that aren't up to standard. But, it seemed like everywhere I turned, there was something not quite right. There was scalding (and I do mean scalding) hot water that came out of all faucets in one public restroom and was never fixed (when I actually pointed it out to a crew member who I ran into in that restroom, he said it had been that way for awhile. When I asked why he hadn't reported it, he said it wasn't his responsibility). There were faucets and dryers in several restrooms that never worked. Several automatic doors had to be forced open rather than opening when you walked up.

There was a 30-40 minute wait virtually every night for dinner in the MDR. Specialty restaurants were completely booked for the entire cruise after the first day, so the only way to eat at one was to try walking up and hoping for no-shows. The food in the MDR was pretty bad as well. I only expect mediocrity anyway, but this failed to even meet that. If you like Indian food, you may like the buffet, but I'm not a fan and found very little else that interested me. Lunch menus in the MDR never changed, so after a couple of visits, we stuck it out with the buffet for lunch. I think I had a hamburger there most days.

Inside

Cabin ID

Typical inside cabin. At least the shower has a real sliding door and not just a curtain.

2 Helpful Votes