3. Volendam
The vessel is not a premium luxury one by any stretch of the imagination. After my wife and I have cruised on the Star and Royal Caribbean cruise ships, the ms Volendam appears to be a boat. The vessel is in need of major renovation inside the cabins and out on the decks. Scary rattling noises emanate from the plumbing pipes above Deck 3 outside Cabin 3394. This rattling noise, and noise from the galley of dining room above the cabin posed serious problems for us to try to rest during the day, and to be able to sleep at night. Complaints made to the Front desk were inadequate. We were told to wear ear muffs. We were told that they asked the galley staff to minimize the noise. We were bribed by an offer of a free meal at one of their exclusive restaurants, and a $250 credit off our onboard expenses. They knew fully well that there was a noise problem in Cabin 3394, but they would not transfer us to a peaceful cabin. My advice to future travelers is not to accept any cabins below the galley of dining rooms.

Disturbing noise all day and night in cabin from dining room above

Volendam Cruise Review by ray1946

• Sail Date: June 2017
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Large Ocean-View Stateroom
ray1946’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Volendam price drops

Large Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin EE 3394
The cabin was small by comparison to other cruise ships, but it was acceptable. As indicated in my review above, there is a serious noise problem which needs to be addressed by the owners.
Lower Promenade Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins