3. Volendam
Thought it was an exciting way to avoid flying to Japan and do some hiking in Alaska. One cruise port (Dutch Harbour) was cancelled for good reason I guess and we were credited but made it boring especially when all the theme were Japanese. Seemed like the cruise director made it a Japanese theme cruise. What happened to those high demand line dancing. Totally ignored. It was a good way to introduce the Japanese culture to the public but not everyone took this cruise because of that. The stretch program in the morning needs improvement. May be because of the wave that the trainer cannot do a proper stretch program. Or may be because this space was limited. The spa also made a mistake of advertising a paid yoga session as free. About 6 -8 showed up but none of us stayed because they didn't honor their mistake. The Microsoft sponsored digital classes were excellent though. The instructor was very professional and knew her stuff well.

The ship is old

dietingcruise’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Volendam price drops

Large Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin EE 2552
It was an unobstructed full ocean view cabin. Don't remembered what category. This particular ship needs to be refurbished.

Discovered a slightly over an inch thick short leg spider in my room upon embarkation. Trying to kill it but it escaped. They sent pest control and couldn't find it but I didn't see it again anyway. Also, phone jack wasn't plucked in when I first got on ship. Couldn't notified Customer Service because of that. I had to walk up there to notify them. The lady initially thought I didn't know how the phone work. This was my 17th or 18th cruise. Not much but certainly could tell the difference.

Some metal vent thing fell off from ceiling in bathroom and I stuck it back in myself without bothering asking for maintenance. Light bulb failing and I have requested replacement. Carpet is dirty and room is dusty in hidden area like around your night table.

The fifth or sixth floor public washroom was flooded for a couple of days.
Lower Promenade Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins