3. Amsterdam
Let me just say that the Amsterdam is a very nice ship. The all Filipino crew is amazing. I was on the ship for 7 days and it's a good thing the elevator's rug changed every day to say what day it was, because I got confused about how long I had been on the ship. Time just seems to slide on by. The casino was great. Simple slot machines, that actually gave out money instead of paper tickets! Only bad thing was there was smoking in the casino. Very nasty air there. The Queens Lounge is wonderful. Played bingo there three or four times, and had a blast. The jewelry shop had a champagne tasting raffle thing that was fun. The historical shows in the Queen's Lounge were very informative and entertaining. There was Catholic mass every day, which my dad really enjoyed. At the same theatre the mass was held, there were late-release movies every day, complete with popcorn. There were so many bars/lounges that I couldn't count them all. I did enjoy having a glass of wine and listening to classical music. Watching the sea slipping by while sipping chardonnay is pretty awesome. The exercise room is state-of-the-art, and you're looking at the bow of the ship plowing through the water as you exercise. Pretty fantastic. Couldn't believe all the massage rooms they had. I would've spent more time on that deck if I had known how cool it was. Not much for kids. They have an area with lots of video games, but that's about it. This is a ship for older people. All in all, this was a wonderful experience. EXCEPT FOR THE FOOD!!!!!! Okay, it looks nice. Very nice. But it tastes like crap. I really mean it! I guess I know good food, and this wasn't good food. Do you like gazpacho? I do. Except when it's made with WATERMELON, instead of tomatoes. Do you like musli? You know, that great combination of whole grains, cream, and berries? They put MELON in instead of the berries! An abomination! Fruit cup? You know, with, like fresh fruit? It came with one blueberry, maybe a raspberry if you're lucky, and the rest? You guessed it: melon! The Lido cafe slings hash like nobody's business. Unfortunately, it all tastes bland. I found myself craving a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The La Fontaine dining room looks wonderful. Two levels, great service by really nice waiters, etc. Tough lobster tail, tasteless King crab, yuck. The only consistently good entree was the sirloin steak. Two kinds of salmon every day. Wasn't good. But the salmon barbeque on the Lido deck was awesome! We sat with an Indian couple. She was a vegetarian, and had ordered all her food online before the trip. They brought out all kinds of food for her, much more than she could eat. So she shared it with us. It was the most wonderful food I've ever tasted! Word to the wise: ORDER ALL YOUR FOOD ONLINE BEFORE YOU GO!!! You'll be glad you did! Make up a special diet; whatever. It is worth it! The afternoon teas are a lavish display of pastries. Tasted like crap. Sorry to disappoint you. You'll understand what I mean if you take the cruise.

Melon, melon everywhere!

Amsterdam Cruise Review by kantor

• Sail Date: September 2009
  • Destination: Alaska
The jewelry shop had a champagne tasting raffle thing that was fun.
There was Catholic mass every day, which my dad really enjoyed.
All in all, this was a wonderful experience.
EXCEPT FOR THE FOOD!!!!!!
The afternoon teas are a lavish display of pastries. Tasted like crap.
Sorry to disappoint you. You'll understand what I mean if you take the cruise.
kantor’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 10 to 12
Ages 13 to 15
Ages 16+
Get Holland America Amsterdam price drops

We had a ocean view cabin on the atrium deck. Very nice.
  Amsterdam Deck Plans