Avalon Tapestry II Cruise Review

Avalon Tapestry II Cruise Review by Jaetea

• Sail Date: Sep 2017
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Outside Stateroom with French Balcony

My husband and I chose Avalon Waterways because we liked the idea of a smaller ship. We liked that a lot of the excursions were included in the price and who can resist laying in bed and looking out on the water via the wall of windows! Our cruise started in Paris. We were met by an Avalon rep at the airport an taken to our meeting spot at a hotel until embarkation. We were treated too snacks and beverages...and even had some time to explore. Avalon made sure going to and getting on the ship was stress free.

Our cabin was very nice and the bed was very comfortable. The small bathroom is complete with toiletries and thick bath towels. I would recommend spending the extra money if you can to upgrade your cabin to get the full windows. The Dining on the ship was wonderful and had plenty of variety.

The excursions were so well organized and timed. We enjoyed having tour guides that were very knowledgable. They were happy to answer any questions we had. One of our excursions was to Normandy to see the WWII sites and it is something my husband I will never forget. All the staff on the ship was wonderful. They are friendly and helpful which is what you want when you traveling. We made some new friends while on the boat which is the benefit of being on a smaller ship. My husband and I want to do another cruise in the future....we want to make it another Avalon one.

Jaetea's Full Rating Summary

Outside Stateroom with French Balcony

The cabin was very attractive and a lot was provided in such a small space. We loved having the french balcony where we could enjoy the view as when traveled the Seine.

The bathroom was clean and up to date. The shower pressure was better than some hotels I have been in so no complaints there.

We didn't figure out that we had access to movie channels on the television, until the night before we were to disembark...that wasn't a big deal to us because we are readers. The bed was comfortable and we slept well. There was quite a bit of storage considering the size of the room. No complaints.

City Tour

We did the evening tour of the city by bus. It was very enjoyable. We especially loved seeing the Eiffel tower all lit up at night. Definitely a must see!

View All 112 City Tour Reviews
D-Day Beaches

This was the main reason my husband and I picked the cruise we did was to see the D-Day beaches. We were truly moved by what we saw there and visiting the grave sites. Avalon furnished each of us a rose to lay it where we saw fit. It even more enhanced the experience.

View All 83 D-Day Beaches Reviews
Monet at Giverny Gardens

Beautiful gardens. The house was very interesting and colorful. Worth taking the trip to see it.

View All 81 Monet at Giverny Gardens Reviews
The Louvre

We had a brief tour of the Louvre with Avalon and it was nice. We stayed in Paris a few extra days after our cruise and spent a lot more time there on our own.

View All 50 The Louvre Reviews
Versailles

I've only seen pictures or scenes in movies that show the Hall of Mirrors in Versailles but the real thing is breathtaking. After seeing how the king(s) lived while their people starved...I now understand more the French Revolution!

View All 64 Versailles Reviews

I and my husband enjoyed it. It is a one time trip not a see again. We are glad we went.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Rouen

We liked Rouen with it's old architecture. It was interesting and easy to get around. We would visit there again.

Jaetea