3. Avalon Luminary
My travel companion had been on 3 other river cruise lines and so this was somewhat of a first for both of us. We were picked up at the airport in Vienna and taken to the intercontinental hotel to store bags and then had the day to explore Vienna. We went to our boat that evening. The weather and river level could not have been more perfect had we ordered it. 70 degrees. The food was spectacular and I am picky about food. Our room was so clean. This whole cruise line is first class and the friendliest people ever. We started in Vienna and ended in Munich. We went on every excursions except one. The Salzburg sound of music tour and the Neuschwanstein castle were my favorite and the Oberammergau village where they have the Passion play every 10 years. The Austrian Alps are a sight to behold. The concentration camps were too much for me. Very sad. We were warned continuously about the pick pockets in port but we never had any problems at all. If you have never been on a river cruise, I would recommend seeing all of the places you want from a cruise liner because once you have the intimate river cruise with world class service, you will never want to go on a huge ocean liner, again. I am now spoiled. i just want my big yacht (River boat). I am in my mid-forties. I highly recommend taking this trip while you are still agile. Most of the patrons were older but we had a variety of ages. No children. I was glad for this. We did tons of stairs and walking. I have booked my next river cruise for the Tulips and Windmills in Amsterdam for 2019. I will go on a river cruise every other year. The flight from America is a bit much. 9 hours is my max.

It was my first river cruise. I am now sworn off Ocean liners;(

Avalon Luminary Cruise Review by loridawnbarn

• Sail Date: September 2017
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Stateroom with French Balcony

loridawnbarn’s Full Rating Summary
Get Avalon Luminary price drops

Deluxe Stateroom with French Balcony
Cabin A 216
It was small and perfectly clean and met all of our needs with spectacular views! The greatest thing about River cruising is how small and quaint the boat is. It is like your own personal yacht.
Sapphire Deck Balcony Cabins