• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

njmonroe
2-5 Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Sep 2017
Cabin:

This was our first cruise to Alaska. We arrived a day before and stayed in a hotel near the Seatac airport so that we could take advantage of the free shuttle. The shuttle driver recommended the Sharp's Roasthouse for dinner and even shuttled us there. We were not disappointed as it was a very good dinner. The next morning we were on to the pier. We took the shuttle back to the airport so that we could take the Celebrity pier transportation. After walking what seemed like to several points in the airport to check in our luggage for pier transportation, we finally boarded the bus. Not a easy task for some 50+yr olds with 2 rolling luggages and backpacks. Next time everything in roll ons and no backpacks! Just pay the extra check in luggage for the airline, it's worth it. The pier was crowded and we were packed in only to form another line so that our carry on's could go thru metal detectors. We saw a couple from NY who were being pushed in wheelchairs to the check in desk for luggage (they took cuts in front of line) then to the bus. Every time we saw them on the ship they were not in wheelchairs! We finally boarded the ship around 1 pm. We had to wait until 1:30pm to go to your room so we waited in a lounge until then. It was great to get rid of our backpacks. We ate at the buffet for lunch as we waited for our big luggage to arrive. The buffet had a variety of foods, salads, desserts to please most. Theater entertainment was average. One comedian was pretty funny, but you wouldn't want to be the one he picked on! Bingo was held in small theater which was crowded. Movie times there were not, which I enjoyed. Dance lessons and contests were held in foyers near main staircase. Awkward location and hard to see. Most days too chilly to watch movies outside on lawn. Aft deck outside of buffet was enjoyable until rowdy drunks from TX took over with loud laughter and antics. Most people avoided them, because they were obnoxious. Shopping was good at most onboard shops because they were clearing out their Alaska merchandise. Casino was smoke free! Spa could have been better for the price. No sales offered that I was aware of. However, I was pleasantly surprised that I was not hounded by sales pitches throughout the cruise, just the first day for drink packages which we purchased. My spouse enjoyed as many sodas to his heart's content! Did not use specialty dining nor ship's excursions. We found tours and adventure excursions at each port for a lot less. Less crowded and more personable. Debarkation was not bad. We waited until our deck was called, left gangway, passed customs by just showing passport, picked up luggage in big room then outside to pier which was crowded again, but we formed a line for Celebrity transportation to airport. Not much of a wait. I enjoyed the Alaskan scenery, the beauty of the ship, the food offered, our room & steward, the staff was friendly and accommodating. This is my 3rd cruise and I would do this cruise again with this cruise line. My spouse found out he is not a cruiser!

Cabin inside cabin deck 8

The cabin was average in size. The furniture placement worked well for our needs. It was clean and refreshing. Our steward Ramon provided excellent service. He learned our names early on and always acknowledged us every time he saw us. I had ordered distilled water and a extension cord for our cpap and it was already in the room when we arrived. Our shower was ample, no problems with water pressure or sensitive water handles. We were very pleased with our accommodations. Almost every night was quiet. Most guests do not take in consideration for others sleeping and let their doors slam shut. So we did hear doors all hours of the night. One night our neighbors came in around 2-3 am and either were arguing or talking very loudly with no regard for others. I had to pound on the wall to bring it to their attention, and we heard them say "sorry". The next morning (late) they left a paper on our room number with a frown and saying "sorry". We did appreciate that. Otherwise very good location of cabin. Not too far from forward elevators.

Port Reviews

Seattle

We have been in Seattle once in May, once on Christmas and this time in September. Each time it was cloudy. We did not go touring here this time.

Ketchikan

Ketchikan is a harbor town. There are many jewelry shops as you first get to Ketchikan that are jewelry shops the cruise line recommends. I finally found a authentic Alaskan shop that had a variety of merchandise. I was greeted by the shop owner who was pleasant so I asked her about the those jewelry shops. To sum it up, native Alaskans are not fond of them and these jewelry shops have caused the locals to lose their businesses. I do not recommend patronizing those jewelry shops. They are sponsored by the cruise lines and do not help the local economy. She also said that the only gem that Alaska is known for is the hematite and the abalone shell.

Juneau

This town is along a big mountain. It is not a flat town. The sidewalks go uphill or downhill. I did not imagine it to look as old as it was near the pier. I imagined it to be more modern and up and coming. Maybe it is near the center, but where we were dropped off from the ship it was not. We found probably the one and only Ben Franklin store left in the US. We strolled the shops and finally stopped at Tracy's Crabs for some fresh crab legs! They did not disappoint. The meat was huge compared to any at Red Lobster I have had. We also bought crabcakes and crab rolls. They meal made our visit to Juneau worth it. Otherwise not impressed by the town.

Victoria

I have been there before on a previous pacific coastal cruise. We just wanted to chill on the half empty ship before our debarkation the next morning.

Find a Celebrity Solstice Cruise from $934