3. Adventure of the Seas
First I want to say that my regret is that I did not get the contact info of some wonderful people we met. This was the first cruise out of San Juan after Hurricane Maria. We met a wonderful couple from Puerto Rico and now I keep wondering how they are doing after returning home. Luis and Miguel if you read this post please look for my comment on the Cruise Critic Facebook page and contact me. As this was the first cruise after Hurricane Maria we were of course unsure if it would really happen. When we saw that our flight had been making it to San Juan successfully for several days we confirmed that we would be on the ship. The very next day we found out that our airline canceled our return flight. We were not allowed to cancel or postpone the cruise at that point because we were told that another carrier could get us home 2 days later. When we looked into that carrier it would have cost us $1000 to book that return flight. In addition we still would have had to sleep in the airport for 2 days. Our carrier could get us home 4 days after the cruise. I was not prepare to sleep in the airport for 4 days either. Yes we did take out insurance but we were not 100% confident that they would come through since we did not experience a personal illness. So making lemons into lemonade we ended up booking a second week on the ship doing a back-to-back. Below I will start each paragraph with a plus+ or minus- depending on whether it is a positive or negative comment. ++So first I have to give Royal Caribbean bonus points for letting guests board the ship a day early at no charge (since the hotels were now closed). They fed us well and even had entertainment. +The Cruise Director and staff were fabulous. This was my 8th, and 9th cruise. Shelli, Elvis, Jay, Dan and Lorenzo are probably the best cruise staff I have ever had on any line. The staff does change every couple of months so unless you take this cruise shortly you probably won't be as fortunate as we were to have this crew. +The first week in the Sapphire restaurant we had Dave and Yan as servers. This was Yan's first week and she was just a sweetheart who did a fabulous job of taking care of us. Dave was also very attentive. The second week we chose to sit at a table with other couples and therefore had different wait staff. They were not as attentive. The staffs were extremely concerned that we were satisfied with our meals. In fact they will jump through hoops to make sure you are happy. With that said, food is a matter of preference. I found that I really liked the food at the buffet. For breakfast we found ourselves easily overeating. After overeating the first week, we decided to go to the coffee shop so that we would have a muffin and coffee. Ironically the coffee shop staff didn't seem to know the difference between a bran muffin, a banana nut muffin and a blueberry muffin. - Coffee is very important to us. Last time I was on Royal Caribbean the coffee was Seattle's Best. Unfortunately it is now a no-name brand and tolerable, but not nearly as good. There is a Starbucks next to the coffee shop if you want to pay for their specialty coffees. We hate Starbucks so that is a real negative. Regarding the entertainment: - - we always loved going to karaoke. It seems that Royal has discontinued the karaoke machine that they used to use which probably had a selection of several thousand songs, and has downgraded to equipment that had hardly anything. Many people looked in the books but could not find anything to sing. There was a lot of awkward silence. The cruise staff did their best to sing and make background music that that can't substitute for the lack of singers. On man actually sang "Proud to Be an American" a Capella. Ok seriously Royal, you don't have Lee Greenwood's "Proud to be an American" in your book? That is really sad. We had a professional singer in the audience the first week. She did her best to fill in the gaps and many of the songs she sang she said was her first time singing them. So Royal Caribbean you had a good system. BRING IT BACK. + As for other shows, we saw 3 different comedians and a magician. They were all very funny and entertaining. + I love that you have really musicians. There is no substitute for them. Anyone can play an ipod. The music director was very good and the musicians were obviously experts on their instruments. - As for the other shows, the dancers are talented but the singing and dancing productions just weren't that entertaining. I really miss having a production show like we had on the Oasis (we saw Hair Spray). In addition, I don't know if Royal was trying to make a statement but it was embarrassing to see one of the singers trying to impersonate Shakira. I understand we all come in different shapes and sizes, but we are what we are. + Regarding the other entertainment, the games were hysterical. They are definitely adult entertainment and not for the shy or bashful. If you are easily offended you probably should bring a good book to read. If you go to "The Quest" be prepared to participate and make sure the people sitting near you look like they are going to participate too. For the "Love and Marriage" show and "The Perfect Couple" you can just be a spectator and have a great time. Shelli did such a fabulous job as did Dan, Elvis and Jay. +Besides the shows we also went to several "Trivia" contests. We have been to lots of trivia's, but I will say that this staff was the most organized. And they made it so not cut-throat by making it clear that the prizes are crap. But it was still fun to win and a great way to meet other people too. * Now for the Islands; due to the hurricane there was an itinerary change. I appreciate that they didn't just make it another day at sea. So for our back to back cruise we ended up visiting 9 ports, 2 of which we saw twice. Keep in mind that storms and weather effect water. So here goes... Antigua - this island is paradise. We were lucky enough to be here twice. Just take a taxi to one of their 365 beaches. You will need at least 4 people for the taxi and it will cost you $8 per person each way, but so worth it. There is a taxi stand as soon as you walk off the port and they can put you with other people. The first time we went to Long Beach. The other people chose this beach because it was the furthest away and since the cost is the same for any distance they figured it would give us a tour of the island also. It was just beautiful white sand with clear water. There was a restaurant with cheap local beer. The next time we went to Valley Church. This beach is recommended by the taxi drivers and is a bit more crowded, but also has a few more amenities. It is a shorter ride – which is probably why the taxi drivers prefer it. It was just a beautiful as Long Beach. St Kitts. The first time we took an excursion, Gary’s Island Safari and Beach. We were supposed to explore the rain forests lush interior. We drove a road through the rain forest but it certainly wasn’t a tour. They took us to a hill top to see the views of the Atlantic and the Caribbean and we were served fruit juices with plenty of rum if we wanted it. Then to a small beach which was typical for St Kitts which has volcanic brown sand but nice shells. Gary was very nice and kept asking if we were having a good time. Who was going to tell him the truth? It was not a tour. It was boring. They next time we took a cheap taxi to a better beach. If the weather was better we probably would have stayed longer but it rained a bit. The water was also very churned due to the storms. Martinique – We took a ferry to a beach that was recommended by the locals for snorkeling. It was a small patch of sand with some rocky areas. We had to put our stuff on the sea wall because that is how little sand there was. The good news is that the ferry was only $7 round trip. If you go there, ask for a nice what sand beach, not a snorkeling beach. Barbados – took a snorkeling excursion on a catamaran. The boat ride was nice which a large area to lay out in the sun. Rum was included. Then visited a beach. St Lucia – took an excursion to the volcanic mud baths based on other reviews. It was a long trip but I do feel it is a “must do” for that island. The mud baths were crowded but wow did it make my skin feel nice. The scenery of the Pitons is also quite impressive and lunch was delicious. I bought 5 homemade soaps for $10. You will need to bargain or pay too much. Aruba – Took a snorkeling excursion to 3 spots. The snorkeling areas were ok. They give you bottles with bread to create a feeding frenzy. The last stop is a sunken ship but it really was too deep to see well snorkeling. Lunch was provided on the boat and it was very good. Of course plenty of rum too. We then went to a beach but it was a really windy day. I have been to Aruba for a week just this past year. It is a nice island which is usually very safe. Curacao – I had been to this island before for a week also. It is really a nice island. Took a kayak/snorkeling excursion. Really didn’t need to kayak to get to the snorkeling area. Could have driven there. Parked in the water was an off shore drilling rig and the drilling boat. They did not make for pretty scenery. However the snorkeling was some of the best ever. It did include a sunken boat which was shallow enough to see. The water was amazingly blue and clear. Since they kayaking didn’t provide any scenery we allowed the leader to tow us and a few other kayaks. So that is my review. Would I recommend this cruise? Yes.

I give it a 9 out of 10 - Luis and Miguel I hope you and your family are ok

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by JerseyMomlovestoTravel

Regarding the entertainment:

So that is my review. Would I recommend this cruise? Yes.
JerseyMomlovestoTravel’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas price drops

The cabin was sufficient. Not any better or worse than any other I have stayed in. I found the bed very comfortable. My husband did not.
  Adventure of the Seas Deck Plans