3. Island Princess
We picked this cruise to avoid a cross country flight and for more sea days than port days. Then we added on the three day run down from Vancouver to L.A. just for the sea days. So, for us a 22 day cruise, still too short! Embarkation was a snap in Vancouver, even with a full ship of three day cruisers. We did utilize the Princess Transfer and Hotel which made everything even easier. I know I am on Holiday when I see the Princess person at the A/P on arrival. Put my brain in neutral and follow their directions. We did arrive a couple of days early to visit with friends in Vancouver. The ship was in good condition and the cabin was up to snuff. Our CC Roll Call had a "sailaway" on deck and a good group in attendance. The cruise down the coast allowed us to get in to relax mode and a routine. Our cabin steward "Glenn" took care of all our special requests and was great to deal with on both of the B2B cruises. Calle Smit the CD did a superb job of organizing activities, especially the cruise long activities. He was always around and very easy to talk with, very entertaining when he ran an activity. His crew was just great, Laura and Wally stand out. I normally like to attend the lectures, but did not make one of them on this cruise. We only saw one show, the Princess "On the Bayou". We were always just too busy doing what ever came along. We had AT dining and it worked super well for us. We usually went in anywhere from 1815 hrs. to 2000 hrs. and only had to wait about five minutes once. We always ask to have a table to share and that makes it much easier and one meets some other great folks that way. They even accommodated us one evening when we walked up with a party of 13. It took about 10 minutes to come up with 1 eight top and 1 six top table next to each other. It was a rather raucous meal to say the least and late enough that we had the area mostly to ourselves with a very fun waitstaff. Just perfect for our group of new/old friends that evening. We did eat 3 times in the Bayou and once in Sabatini's. All meals were very good, I had the duck twice and it was a little over cooked on the one occasion, but still very tasty. Service was excellent. We did have a party of eleven once and when we got there for our reservation they said they could only seat a party of eight. We looked at the reservation book and it said 11, so they rearranged the tables and we had our group of 11. Way to go Bayou restaurant on the Island Princess! A great dinner was had by all. Sabatini's serving Alfredos Pizza for lunch was superb. Did that quite a few times. I did not do the Crab Shack, but really liked the Mongolian BBQ in the Horizon Court. The new layout for the Horizon Court worked very well, once everyone understood that you can just go to the area of food you want and not make a long line out the door. We did do a couple of Princess Excursions and two on our own. The Princess Excursions were good and well worth the money and piece of mind that the ship would wait for you if traffic or something held up the return. Two buses on a Princess excursion were held up by traffic and were then given a police escort back to the port. We did have to skip two ports, one was replaced and one just cancelled. This was due to mother nature, an earthquake near the one port and a hurricane on the other side of Mexico. This was all fine and Princess did what they could on the spur of the moment. All in all, a very good cruise. I can really find only one thing to complain about with Princess and their ship the Island Princess. I did miss the Skywalkers lounge and the Universe lounge for activities. I do not feel that removing these and making more cabins improved the facilities enough to warrant doing it. I will not sail on the Island again, but will choose the Coral in the future unless it is degraded to the Island's physical stature also. Our one major complaint is with the Spa. It is a contracted out operation to our complaint is with them not Princess. This was the worst experience we have had in a Spa on a Princess cruise. We will be very careful in the future on our use of the Spa.

A cruise to be remembered!

Island Princess Cruise Review by Holomoku

Holomoku’s Full Rating Summary
Get Island Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BE C232
We choose this cabin for it's location.
Lido Deck Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins