Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review

Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by Hilliard Cruiser

• Sail Date: Sep 2017
  • Destination: the Western Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony 2A

Having just taken a Holland America cruise (which I enjoyed very much), my expectations were high coming into this one. Unfortunately, it fell short in the biggest area for me, the food.

First, let me start by saying that I thought the ship was very nice, with a bright, cheery decor. The staff was wonderful, the embarkation/disembarkation very smooth, the special performers memorable, etc. I basically view the ship as transportation from one port to another, instead of as the destination of the trip itself, so in that it was a success. I had a big issue with the fact that there were only pay-per-view movies available in the room ($14.98 a shot). The last cruise I was on offered complimentary movies that mirrored what I found on the air flight to the embarkation city. I thought that was now a standard offering on all cruises, but apparently not.

But now for the reason for the average rating. I found the food to be mediocre. Not only that, but for the most part, people served themselves from the buffet. Food in the back row of serving dishes were often not easily accessible to those with short arms. On three separate occasions, I saw people who were completely under the food guard reaching for food. Having just been on a Holland America cruise, where food was almost always dished out for you by servers, this was very surprising (and not in a good way). Half way through the cruise, both I and my spouse became ill, and spent the remainder of the cruise eating the blandest food possible (baked chicken breast and white rice) whenever we were on the ship. Oddly enough, things seemed to be better when we were off the ship and eating from places where we were docked. We had been drinking the water from the dispensers on the ship, so we're not sure if it was the food or the water that was the cause of our stomach issues.

Between the issue with the food and the lack of complimentary movies in the room, I do not plan on cruising with Celebrity again.

Hilliard Cruiser's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony 2A
Cabin 2A 7068

The cabin was very nice and the temperature remained comfortable throughout the cruise.

Venice

To enjoy Venice, more than a single day is needed, so we had arrived five days prior to embarkation. It was a great start to our trip.

Cavtat Walking Tour

This was a tour of a nearby resort town, which allowed us to get away from the crowds of Dubrovnik. If you have two days in port, this is a nice tour to consider.

View All 31 Cavtat Walking Tour Reviews
Land & Sea Tour

This was a combination sea tour and city walking tour. We were taken from the dock to Dubrovnik by a replica galleon ship, then given a walking tour. Dubrovnik was so crowded but worth the visit, and the sea cruise into town was very nice.

View All 18 Land & Sea Tour Reviews

I didn't realize it when I booked it that this was the exact same sailing ship as the one from the Land & Sea tour. If I had known it, I would have done the night time cruise only. They take you down from the port into town during the day and give you plenty of time to visit Dubrovnik into the evening, which is the time of day that the city takes on a magical feel. By the time you are returning to the ship, it is completely dark. Is was probably a highlight of our entire vacation.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Ravenna (Bologna)

Ravenna is fairly compact, so we skipped a guided tour and toured the city on our own, using a walking guide I had printed off of the internet.

Montenegro Highlights

A great way to get out into the surrounding areas. And there is still plenty of time to explore the old town area before you need to get back onto the ship.

View All 102 Montenegro Highlights Reviews
Catania

We took an excursion to Mt Etna, then to a jewelry workshop. The visit to Mt Etna was nice (despite the horrible fog), but the jewelry workshop was not impressive. I would do at least some kind of excursion at this port, because the city itself (from what we saw of it coming and going on our excursion) did not look like something I would want to spend a lot of time in.

Flamenco Show

The Flamenco Show was amazing, but the rest of the tour ( a very abbreviated city tour) was a waste. The tour guide first said we would have an hour to tour the city on our own, but by the time we got into town following the show (and the added time she insisted we stay with her on the walking tour), we were down to twenty minutes. She said we could stay in town longer and take one of the company shuttles back to the ship for no extra charge, so we decided to stay in town. It was hardly surprising that we were made to pay for the shuttle back when we attempted to board. Mallorca is a beautiful city, and if I had to do it over again, I would have skipped the show and toured the city on my own.

View All 16 Flamenco Show Reviews
Ibiza

Ibiza is all about the night clubs. A day visit is easily done on your own, as it is just a little island resort town that is really nothing special. You'll quickly notice the signs in front of various shops advertising for tickets for various clubs that you can buy for a discount from at-the-door prices. That's when you realize that it is at night when the city comes alive. If your ship is just there for the day (like ours was), you won't appreciate why this place is anything special.

Valencia

We took a trip to the San Jose caves, which were nothing special. This came after a walking tour of Valencia that was just enough to make us want to come back. Valencia is much like Barcelona, in that a day visit isn't not nearly enough. But as a cruise port, it is a great way to introduce people to all the city has to offer.

Hilliard Cruiser