Viking Gullveig Cruise Review

Viking Gullveig Cruise Review by SJFeig

• Sail Date: Oct 2017
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Veranda Stateroom

My husband and I love cruises but we wanted something a little different than the usual island hopping. Friends of ours had recommended Viking and we decided the time had come for us to give it a try.

We arrived on the Budapest after over twelve hours of traveling. We were tired from our trip and ready to collapse. The Viking staff picked us up at the airport and got us to the Gullveig with a minimum of fuss. Once aboard, we were told to expect our room to be ready by 1pm. Jaded travelers that we are we thought we'd actually be allowed in at 3 but the staff was as good as their word, at 1pm we were in the door able to finally relax.

That was the first of many promises kept over the course of the week. When the Maitre'D Panayot found out I was a diabetic, he gave me a card with the number "5" on it. For the rest of the cruise, every time I sat down to eat, I'd just put the card on the table and Panayot would come and personally make sure my dietary needs were met. He kept entrees from being seasoned with sauces that might not be good for me and made sure desserts like fresh fruit with whipped cream were there for me every day.

Other aspects of the service were equally excellent. Each day, the Captain was there to personally greet the guests as they returned aboard ship. When we wanted to see parts of Prague that were not covered on the normal tour. The tour director was able to make special arrangements and find a guide and transportation for us. The food was exquisite and the waiters and waitress were friendly and professional. The small size of the ship made the experience intimate and friendly. By the end of the cruise we knew almost everyone aboard.

Then there was sailing up the Danube watching the lovely countryside glide by us as we made our way leisurely up river. We would get off the ship and go on beautifully orchestrated tours that had the memory cards of our cameras filled and the soles of our shoes noticeably thinner. Exhausting at times but well worth every minute!

As I've said before, my husband and I are the veteran of many cruises but this was by far the best. We can't wait to do this again!

SJFeig's Full Rating Summary

Veranda Stateroom
Cabin B 339

Cozy, excellent views, plenty of storage for clothes and sundries. Comfortable beds... all you can ask for on a cruise.

Highlights Tour

Beautiful city. Visited castles, Parliament at night

View All 85 Highlights Tour Reviews
City Tour

Saw panoramic view of the Danube Valley attend concert the Mozart and Strauss Concert Hall.

View All 169 City Tour Reviews

Visited Gottweig Abbey. Tasted local wines.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Walking Tour

Enjoyed a walking tour of the city. Finished up day with a concert at St. Stephens.

View All 218 Walking Tour Reviews